Sanjay Subrahmanyan
India
Chennai
Tamil Nadu
flag msg tools
badge
Play a boardgame and get social
mbmbmbmbmb
Have been in Dallas the last couple of days. Just walked into an FLGS - Madness Games & Comics herein Plano. Was just browsing the games and found Sword & Skull and Junta at about 40% off. So i casually asked the manager, Chris there if there were others also at a discount. He just said take what u want and i'll do what best i can.

so we picked up Junta, Sword & Skull, Transeuropa, LOTR - The confrontation all for 85$, while my friend who had no idea what these games were, decided to get TTR for about 30$. Now that is as a good a deal as you will get if not better than any online store!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Ramsey
United States
Boise
ID
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Now that is as a good a deal as you will get if not better than any online store!

As good, perhaps, but it took a sale to accomplish that. TimeWellSpent.org is routinely the cheapest on line, and those same games you picked up are...$85.45 via TWS. Of course, you didn't pay shipping and handling, but even AFTER postage costs, TWS is usually the best deal on the net.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ciaramella
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My FLGS offers 25% to anyone and 30% to Unity members. I love in-store shopping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
waderam wrote:
Quote:
Now that is as a good a deal as you will get if not better than any online store!

As good, perhaps, but it took a sale to accomplish that. TimeWellSpent.org is routinely the cheapest on line, and those same games you picked up are...$85.45 via TWS. Of course, you didn't pay shipping and handling, but even AFTER postage costs, TWS is usually the best deal on the net.

Actually, depending on the games, I have found Thought Hammer to be a little cheaper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Packard
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to sound negative, but I'm unclear why Todi is getting such ... well, negative responses to his post.

The theme here seems to be "Well, you didn't get the BEST deal ever," the implication being that maybe he could have saved a few cents or dollars elsewhere.

I for one am happy for Todi. I don't think anyone can deny that he made a great find. He got very decent prices for games he wanted. He was able to see and touch them before his purchase. He met a nice shop keeper. He was able to take them with him and open them up and maybe even play them within moments of his purchase. AND he supported a FLGS, which I think is good for everyone.

Well done, Todi! I'm happy for you and wish that I had such a store close to where I live.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Ramsey
United States
Boise
ID
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I don't want to sound negative, but I'm unclear why Todi is getting such ... well, negative responses to his post.

Good point. After I reread my intial post, it does seem a bit negative, and that was not at all my intention!

I'm obviously a bit envious for Todi for living so close to a store that he can walk in, touch and smell and shake the game, AND buy it at the best prices! For those of us not so fortunate, I was just offering TimeWellSpent.org as an alternative.

Again, no offense or negatively intended. Except for the jealousy part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Was just browsing the games and found Sword & Skull and Junta at about 40% off. So i casually asked the manager, Chris there if there were others also at a discount. He just said take what u want and i'll do what best i can.

so we picked up Junta, Sword & Skull, Transeuropa, LOTR - The confrontation all for 85$, while my friend who had no idea what these games were, decided to get TTR for about 30$. And Chris was nice enough to waive the taxes also.

Quote:
My FLGS offers 25% to anyone and 30% to Unity members. I love in-store shopping.

These are outstanding deals. I really like my flgs, but as with most flgs, their prices are full retail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great finds Sanjay, enjoy the games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's incredible. I'm surprised they can afford it. When I was working at a game store, we typically bought at 45% (+/- a few %) off of list price. So if they're selling around 35-40% off, they don't have a very big profit margin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it is great when they do that. My FLGs has done that for our gaming group. I think it has helped him a lot. I am an oddity I still more often than not bougth from him and paid higher prices. I just love shopping in the store, picking it up, and going home with it all in the same day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sanjay Subrahmanyan
India
Chennai
Tamil Nadu
flag msg tools
badge
Play a boardgame and get social
mbmbmbmbmb
In the last month that i have been travelling here in the US this is the 4th FLGS that i am visiting. This guy is the first to actually offer me such prices. The others in LA, San Jose and Austin did not offer any discount.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
ConnCon 2018 March 23, 24, 25 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmb
You might want to delete the second to last sentance in your post (and ask those who quoted you to do the same). I knew a comic book store owner who did the same thing on a regular basis ... but once word got out the Feds came in and shut him down.

But beyond that, great deals!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Contact me to play a RPG forum game!!
mbmbmbmbmb
What? The wave the taxes part? Why?

Who says that he didn't just eat the taxes or have it factored into something else within the store. I know many small businesses and a few large that do the same thing, especially at events. They round up to a whole dollar amount or factor the tax into their overall operating costs.

Sheesh...after all the bitching that everyone does about negative store experiences, someone finally gets to post a positive one all I see are people being hacking on it!

shake
shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
ConnCon 2018 March 23, 24, 25 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmb
WOW ... I hope you're not suggesting that I was hacking on his post?!? I think it's all great! In fact I'm looking out for the store owner based on an experience I had FIRST HAND (not a rumor).

Now, is this behavior normally overlooked but my comic book store guy pissed off the wrong person or something? Maybe. I don't know. Obviously my comic book store guy wasn't passing on the full taxes to the govt, though. Or maybe he just couldn't prove he was. He told me he was, but that just not charging the customers was illegal. Maybe he was lying. I'm not an attorney.

All I know is he told me he got targetted, auditted and hit with so many fines and claims for back taxes that he ended up declaring bankruptcy and eventually shutting the store.

I'm sorry if my warning somehow sounded rude but I really was trying to be nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Contact me to play a RPG forum game!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there is more to that story than what you were told.

I am a massage therapist and I don't charge my clients tax, who wants to be searching for change after getting that relaxed?yuk

When I did it full time, I set aside so much per person, because I was classified as an independent contractor. It didn't matter how I set it aside, the government wanted a total dollar amount of how much I had made, my tax deductions for supplies, and a check for what I owed them.soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are mixing up income taxes with sales taxes... in the case of the latter, in States or localities that have a sales tax, at least the ones I'm familiar with, sales tax is usually only on tangable items, not on services such as a massage (usually things like clothing and groceries are also exempt).
heinrichsteven wrote:
I think there is more to that story than what you were told.

I am a massage therapist and I don't charge my clients tax, who wants to be searching for change after getting that relaxed?yuk

When I did it full time, I set aside so much per person, because I was classified as an independent contractor. It didn't matter how I set it aside, the government wanted a total dollar amount of how much I had made, my tax deductions for supplies, and a check for what I owed them.soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even so, I believe it's up to the store to pay the sales tax (not the consumer), but it's often passed on to the consumer. I imagine the comic book guy in question was doing more than not paying sales tax, got busted, and blamed someone else (my hunch, I may be wrong).

In any event, good for your FLGS. I hope they can continue to do so. I've pledged myself to only buy from FLGS from now on. I think a little harder about spending money when it costs more. I have plenty of games that I don't play much and probably wouldn't have bought in the first place if they had cost a little more. Basically, I want more new games but I don't need more new games, and if buying a new game helps keep a public gaming figure in business then we're all better off.

My simplified FLGS formula:
Public gaming figure -> More people aware of the hobby beyond Parker Bros -> More money flowing into the inovative gaming companies -> More innovative games continue to be produced (at hopefully higher print runs and lower costs) -> More choices for me

Of course, there aren't nearly enough gamestores in the world, and many don't have access to one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Sky Knight X wrote:
I really like my flgs, but as with most flgs, their prices are full retail.

Really?

All of the ones I know discount to some degree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.