Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
After several months of law school, it has gradually come out that many of my fellow students have great potential to be gamers, and about 1/4 of the ment in the 1L class are frequent users on an online Risk group, Conquer Club.

So, my plan is to form game leagues to organize some games as well as some rankings to give bragging rights. Here are my thoughts

1) Divide games into ~10 categories and have small groups of members meet once weekly to play.

colonist War - limited to games 3.5 hours and under
colonist Trading/Negotiation
colonist Auction
colonist Flicking/Dexterity
colonist Tile-Laying
colonist Economic
colonist (I had more categories broken down this weekend, and now I've forgotten them)
colonist (I had more categories broken down this weekend, and now I've forgotten them)

2) Groups would vote on what game they want to play and from what category. Ties in voting would be broken by the flag-system from O Zoo Le Mio. (i.e. everyone has a flag on a flagpole, with preference in breaking a tie going to the person whose flag is highest on the flagpole. Whenever the tie is broken this way, the person in whose favor the tie was broken moves their flag to the bottom of the flagpole)

3) I need to devise some sort of point and/or ladder system to determine rankings based on game wins. Perhaps also some means to balance wins in games that can be played more quickly (e.g. a person who wins a lot of short games in a playtime of ~2 hours shouldn't get an extraordinary jump over someone who has devoted those 2 hours to win a single game).

4) Post still in progress -- have to go to class.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Scott,

I also started a games club at my law school about a year and a half ago, and it's been a much bigger success than I ever expected. I just wanted to get some funding from the school to buy some games and food, so I could get a few people together every once in a while for some games. I guess future lawyers are more into games than I ever anticipated because the membership has swelled to over 60 people, with around 25 in attendance at our biweekly Friday meetings. The school has also funded it for about $900 over the course of four semesters. I don't have much in the way of advice for you though because the club I've organized is pretty casual. There's enough competition in law school, I try to keep the gaming pretty low-key. I do post the games we play and the winner of each game online at our website (http://www.columbia.edu/cu/csss/) under the past events section, but when I thought about creating a table of wins/losses to rank people, it seemed to get a generally negative reaction from most of my members, who would rather not know their percentages/ranking/etc. Everyone's different though, so I wish you the best of luck organizing your law school gaming group, and I hope it goes very well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.