Tony Nardo
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was originally posted to a general gaming thread, but seems more appropos to the BGG Suggestion area.

Aldie, I'd like to propose temporarily modifying the tool that permits threads to be moved until the thread has aged at least for three days.

Why?

Without the ability to subscribe to a publisher page or a designer page, the value of moving threads is dubious at best. A thread moved in this manner becomes invisible to anyone who does not choose to have Game Forums+ on their front page. Even for those who do include it, the scroll time of that area is considerably faster than the general forum area.

Without the ability to trigger a "new material" event when a thread is moved to a publisher, designer, or game page, movement also holds the potential to send a thread into effective oblivion.

Without the ability to have "Search" cross publisher, designer, general, and the game forums, moving a thread is an effective death sentence.

I understand the rationale for wanting to add value to the new publisher and designer pages. But without the above tools, moving threads in their first hours (or even day) of existance is *far* too aggressive a policy.

Therefore, until the above tools are in place, how about modifying the "move thread" tool so it *can't* move a thread less than three days old? That would still allow for deletion of any truly offensive material, and allow "misfiled" material to find its proper home in later reference.

Alternately, in the interim, a means of cross-posting a la Usenet (i.e., having the same article pointed to on multiple forums) could be implemented. Instead of moving a thread, one could simply add a link to its proper place.

This alternate suggestion may, in fact, be a preferable solution in the long run. It would be particularly desirable in cases where a forum post has value on multiple levels. For example, a news article aimed both at the regular fans of a particular publisher and to those unfamiliar with the game company would benefit as intended. It would also take away the potential for confusion due to uneven application of thread migration policies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
A solution is probably on the way for this. We already have shadow threads that appear in the forums, indicating that a thread has been moved. I believe that soon the shadow threads may be added to the front page, so you can see in the general forums window, for example, that a thread has been moved. It won't continue to update as people post in the new location, but at least it won't vanish from the orignal window when it moves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
A solution is probably on the way for this. We already have shadow threads that appear in the forums, indicating that a thread has been moved. I believe that soon the shadow threads may be added to the front page, so you can see in the general forums window, for example, that a thread has been moved. It won't continue to update as people post in the new location, but at least it won't vanish from the orignal window when it moves.

Is there anyway you can add the "Game Forums" to the new forum posts link? Then at least they won't dissapear when I click that link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Nardo
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:

Shadow threads sound a bit like the cross-post concept. They should accomplish much of what I'd hope to see. (Though they leave aside the issue of a pan-domain "Search", which will also be a useful tool.)

I have one suggestion for improving the current shadow implementation. At the moment, if one follows the link to a "Moved" thread, the article is shown with the forum hierarchy that the "Moved" link resides in. If the hierarchy were instead shown as where the article has been moved to, then the reader could see what the moderators view as the optimal place in which the thread could have been posted.

I don't really see a need for a "Moved" thread to continue to update its reply and recommendation counts on its original board. In fact, rather than retaining the former pre-move counts, it may not be a bad idea to blank these out on the link currently flagged as "Moved".

In the interim, until the solution is in place, I still think slowing down movement of the threads would be a good idea. Certainly it will be less frustrating for readers and posters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
And today I went looking for the recent Die Macher threads in my Games+ Forum, but they had "disappeared" once again. When I go to the game, I see there is now a News folder for each game. Will this forum show up in the Games+ Module? Or do I need yet another module to see these sorts of forum items?

Now fortunately, I knew the thread was under Die Macher so could find it eventually - but with things constantly moving about - is there an impediment to utility?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.