United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot seem to win at Ra. I've won (or at least made a decent showing) in several other Knizia auction-games. But Ra continues to elude me.
And it's not that I don't understand it...I'm just continually hammered by the tiles. Sunday was no exception.
Since it was Ken's anniversary, there was just Matt, Kev and myself. Ra is one of the few auction games wthat works well with three, so we broke it out.
Right away things got ugly as Matt drew something like 4/6 Ra tiles in his first few turns. Yikes--with the shorter track for three players, we were all under the gun timewise. We all netted some fairly modest takes in our auctions--no one ever got more than four or five tiles in a single auction, usually fewer. I held out and pushed my luck, retaining the last sun and was able to "run out" the tiles before the last Ra was drawn. I netted some good tiles there, but also TWO catastrophes (Nile and monument), which placed me solidly in third for the New Kingdom phase.
Also, clearly I hadn't paid enough attention to my suns in the Old Kingdom--my suns for the new round were moderate at best. But I know how to deal with this--I called "Ra!" early and often, and successfully forced my opponents to burn through their larger tiles. Matt was once again drawing Ra tiles at a furious rate, and was again first out in the New Kingdom. When the marble-dust had settled the final scores were:
Matt: 41
Kev: 32
Tom: 27
Matt got the bonus for highest suns AND had one of each monument, which gave him sufficient points to pull away easily. And I was thrashed...again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koert Debyser
Belgium
Brugge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You play two kingdoms/rounds or three?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
blush Three actually, but it FELT like two! I think Amun-Re has been intruding upon my subconcious mind! blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.