Subject: 5 Player Mythology Game with Eastern Board only rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Togu Oppusunggu
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Looks like the mythology expansion should work fine with just the original board and five players. For five players, the smaller board would create more conflict and probably more fun than if using the expansion map as well.

Simply play with a free set-up using 45 construction points, as put forth in the expansion rules, but using the starting provinces as allowed by the free set-up rules in the basic game. With a free set-up, the naval blockade rule, the mythological creature, and so forth, Greece would not be as vulnerable as it once was in the basic game.

As for other aspects of the set-up for this five player game, simply follow the city, caravan, market, and temple limitations set out in page 4 of the expansion rules. No pottery cards are included. Add one of each of the other commodity cards from the expansion set to the original set. For all other cards (creature, gods, heroes, wonders), use the complete set you would normally use when playing the 6 player mythology game.

That should do it. Anyone forsee any problems with this? (Pyramids will be a little harder because there's only 12 commodities in this version, but that might be a good challenging thing.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have done this. You should not set Pyramids cost to 13, as it then becomes impossible to achieve with Commodities* and only possible with Taxes, and Egypt has a big lead in building the Pyramids as it is!

Given, that, you shouldn't play the long variant, as otherwise the Pyramids cost will be out of line with the other victory path.

It is a fine game like this, a bit harder for Rome than the old game (or the new game with the extra map piece).

I prefer the full map and dropping Babylon, but that is just me.

*Alternatively, you could make it possible to get Pottery using Heroes, Wonders and Gods (eg Temple of Artemis, Isis). But I just made that up, so it probably doesn't work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Adlington
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my variant I put pottery on Cret to give that extra commodity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.