Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
victor keen
United Kingdom
westbury
wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would I be making a mistake in attending Lucca rather than Essen? I would be pleased to receive some views on the merits of the former.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Badger
England
Stratford upon Avon
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vhk43 wrote:
Would I be making a mistake in attending Lucca rather than Essen? I would be pleased to receive some views on the merits of the former.

Yes. Essen is the biggest and best, with 140,000 boardgamers meeting to see and play board games.

Lucca is smaller, around 40,000 in 2005 I believe. It has grown from a comic convention. The Board games section has grown considerably and is now about half of the show. Essen's comic section is much smaller, say 15%. In 2006 there was really only one large tent for serious boardgames at Lucca, as opposed to nine or ten (larger) halls at Essen.

Because of its comic background Lucca offers quite a few fun sights though, especially if the sun is out... in 2006 people arriving in fancy dress were let in free!

What you do get at Lucca is proximity to the wonderful walled city and some great food. Its well worth going for that and spending time in the city, using the fair as your excuse to go. My flight from Coventry in 2005 was free except for taxes!

If you go to Essen, both the Grugga Park next to the halls and the town centre (for shopping) are worth visiting, but Essen lacks the historic buildings.

Essen in an essential visit for all gamers, Lucca is a luxury.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
(I've attended both: Lucca twice and Essen once.)
From a purely "boardgaming" point of view, there's no contest: Essen is superior without any doubt.

Quote:
Essen in an essential visit for all gamers, Lucca is a luxury.

Agreed (well, if you live in Italy, Lucca is QUITE cheaper than Essen, but still... ).

I hope that you'll be able to attend both (even if probably not in the same year ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.