Popular Tags: [View All]
Mika R.
Finland
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

Anyone planning to put any session reports/reviews on-line on this extension any time soon? As an avid fan of Descent, I became interested on this asymmetric competitive version of Runebound and longing for more information (I don't have Runebound. yet)! Especially play time and balance is of interest as Descent is a bit too long game for weekday evenings and it has a clear sweet spot with four players (1 evil and 3 heroes) making it more of a weekend game for me. Also some info on the strategical/tactical depth would be nice...

Some interesting initial comments are already available at the original forums (http://fantasyflightgames.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=3) but I'm longing for more laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm interested too on what people think of this expansion. Was going to pre-order but after a few comments from people on the rules I decided to wait for reviews first. Besides my gaming group hasn't even played Island of Dread yet so not in a huge hurry to order this. I actually might wait and just get the character decks which sound like great fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Staber
Germany
Boeblingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
mbmb
So far I've played th Midnight expansion once, but we got a couple of rules wrong, so it would be useless to give a detailed session report. (The answers of the designer to my questions in the rules forum have made things clear to me - so hopefully my next session will use the correct rules).

The setting, the atmosphere and th mechanics of this expansion are very cool (especially the construction of Covenant Items) - but I played the Night King and, to be honest, playing the Night King isn't much fun. The other players get to do all the cool stuff - sneaking into cities and strongholds, constructing nifty Covenant items - while the Night King is rolling some dice to move his patrols around and then select one challenge card out of 3, or changing some statistics on these cards, or buy some stuff so he can have more patrols or can influence the odds when altering the statistics of challenge cards... The decisions to be made as Night King aren't that interesting, in my opinion (I like beeing Overlord in Descent, by the way).

Next time I'll try to let the Knight King be played by all the players taking turns and let all players play a hero - of course this will require the players to make the best possible moves while taking a Night King turn - I'll have to wait and see if this works.

Matthias Staber

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Matthias Staber wrote:
Next time I'll try to let the Knight King be played by all the players taking turns and let all players play a hero - of course this will require the players to make the best possible moves while taking a Night King turn - I'll have to wait and see if this works.

Matthias Staber

This might work. Dungeoneer has a very similar system. It gives each player a chance to screw the other players so it should balance out just fine. At least it works well in Dungeoneer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Staber
Germany
Boeblingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
mbmb
ScottE wrote:

This might work. Dungeoneer has a very similar system. It gives each player a chance to screw the other players so it should balance out just fine. At least it works well in Dungeoneer.

The problem is that in Dungeoneer each player tries to win individually, while in Runebound Midnight the heroes win as a group.

Matthias Staber

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kuhn
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got the game:

I haven't played it yet, but have been digesting the rules. I am a solo player and have played RB numerous times solo. After reading the rules for RBMidnight I think I can develop a automatic/solo system that will play the Night King. One of the things that I think makes it doable is that you can tinker w the system thru the threat difficulty/threat level to balance the game to harder or easier. If the auto NK is too easy change the threat/diff level. Another idea I am toying with is "hidden" mirror values. Instead of knowing the values of the various mirrors you would only learn them after infiltrating the town. My first impression is that the game is a cooperative type game close to Arkham Horror but without the developed bad guy system. The one thing I noticed about solo RB was that lack of a "bad guy" activelly trying to "get you" like AH. I am looking forward to testing out the various possiblities. I would love to hear what others are thinking in this regard.

Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fazekas Tibor
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matthias Staber wrote:
The setting, the atmosphere and th mechanics of this expansion are very cool (especially the construction of Covenant Items) - but I played the Night King and, to be honest, playing the Night King isn't much fun. The other players get to do all the cool stuff - sneaking into cities and strongholds, constructing nifty Covenant items - while the Night King is rolling some dice to move his patrols around and then select one challenge card out of 3, or changing some statistics on these cards, or buy some stuff so he can have more patrols or can influence the odds when altering the statistics of challenge cards... The decisions to be made as Night King aren't that interesting, in my opinion (I like beeing Overlord in Descent, by the way).

Matthias Staber

I absolutely agree with this! To be a night king is minimal fun. I have opened a topic regarding this problem, and it's good to know (or bad, from the other side), that the problem is not only about me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.