Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ally, Robin, Bill and I sat down for a couple games of Alhambra.

I had the least money so I started. My strategy was to maximize turns, so I would only purchase if I had exact change. Everyone else seemed to be focused on buying the most valuable pieces whether they had the correct change or not.

At the end of round one, which seemed to come very early, Ally jumped ahead 9 to everyone else’s 1 or 2 points. Everyone thought that was a heck of a lead and was worried about Ally. I continued on my ‘exact change’ plan.

At the end of round 2 I pulled ahead but my wall was looking weak compared to everyone else. I still had a good hand full of money, so was in a good position to continue to acquire more tiles.

At the end of round 3, I shot way ahead with I final score of 124, with Bill finishing in 2nd around 105. I had spent the game buying any tile I could get for exact change. I tried to get exact change for the more valuable tiles when I had a choice, but would take any tile I could get. It worked very well.

The second game started the same, with me going first, but went completely differently for me, due to the card/tile draw. I see that just going for exact change is not necessarily a winner. There were several opportunities that I could have picked up some good tiles because of their great walls, but I would have to pay over on them, and wanted to see if my strategy would always work.

I finished in 4th, so I’m glad to see that the ‘exact change’ strategy isn’t a robot strategy (for those who don’t know, robot strategies require you to do whatever the action is, regardless of other factors, aka, act like a robot.) I find robot strategies horribly boring, so I’m glad to see this game doesn’t work that way.

The game has been popular lately, probably due to the fact that I just traded for it and have introduced it to everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Castellucci
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
We're you scoring the walls every round* or just after the third?

We just started playing with wall scoring every round*, and it seems to change the dynamic somewhat, making pieces more desirable even if you don't have exact change.

*My understanding is that this the more "correct" way to play (and that the English language rules are misprinted although very playable).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just scored them on the third round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Just
United States
Yorba LInda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Walls should be scored every round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If that's the case, that makes walls a playable strategy for the early round, as you could get more there than your colors.

I find it odd that they didn't catch that. They would have to have purposefully changed the scoring cards and your 'spare tile board', too.

I wonder how that happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valdir Jorge
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Scott!

You wrote:
I had the least money so I started.

You know that the player with the lowest number of money cards starts, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.