Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought War of the Ring earlier in the day, although I'd downloaded the rules a week earlier and so was already somewhat familiar with the game. So, in the evening I tramped off to Sarah's place and we had a game...

Sarah took the role of Sauron's forces, I played the Fellowship and the Free Peoples nations.

Sarah began the game by invading Gondor. I began the game by moving the Fellowship (secretly) twice, and the hunt for the ring gaining on me. Sarah drew a Hunt tile and inflicted 3 corruption on me... which Gandalf the Grey took for the team. He probably was in Moria at the time. Gandalf was discarded, and Aragorn took over as the Guide of the Fellowship.

The next couple of turns saw Sarah concentrating on the war in Gondor, using the Umbar Corsairs to send troops against Dol Amroth, and with the land route taking Osgiliath and then laying siege to Minas Tirith. As Nazgul moved in on Minas Tirith, I moved the fellowship onwards (and Sarah's dice betrayed her - she couldn't find them). In the third turn, the Will of the West die result saw Gandalf the White be reborn in Lorien, and I rushed him to Minas Tirith just ahead of the besieging army.

This was a turning point, because Gandalf had the ability to negate the leadership ability of the Nazgul. Sarah activated the Witch King and Saruman, and began to move the forces of Isengard out as well. The Fellowship moved ahead quickly - Sarah's Hunt had a success, but still couldn't reveal where they were. 3 points of corruption was quickly healed by Aragorn's use of Athelas...

Dol Amroth continued to hold on (thanks partly to my misreading of the rules - I mustered a couple of troops there when I shouldn't have), as did Minas Tirith. Rohan marched to war, helped by the Red Arrow and the Paths of the Woses, and came to relieve the siege. The dice were definitely with me this game - although aided by some nice combat cards. The besieging army retreated, and Minas Tirith was no longer under so much threat. Legolas left the fellowship, and went to the Dwarves to persuade them that Sauron was a threat. They mustered some troops, but still didn't quite declare war.

Sarah then took Bree with Isengard troops, and the North finally decided to declare war on Sauron. Not that they did that much for the rest of the game...

This was because the Fellowship reached Mordor without once actually betraying their location in the process. Only four Hunt tiles had been drawn (3,3,-1,1) and none had revealed them. Poor Sarah!

The final trip of the fellowship took the next two turns (with Sarah unable to take any significant strongholds in the meantime). The nasty hunt tiles that came up were either negated by special event cards I'd played, or weren't that nasty. In the end, the Fellowship reached the Cracks of Doom, destroyed the Ring, and I'd won the game.

We got several rules wrong during play, but nothing that would have been too significant, as the Fellowship had a trouble-free run. Incredible, really. I don't we'll see it happen the next time we play (esp. if Sarah is the Fellowship player! )

The game took slightly over two hours, including set-up time. I'd already sorted the figures and put them in a tacklebox, which helped that greatly. I suspect it was a very atypical game. We'll probably get our next chance to play on the weekend. Or maybe Friday noonish...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Coon
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
MerricB wrote:

(thanks partly to my misreading of the rules - I mustered a couple of troops there when I shouldn't have)

This was because the Fellowship reached Mordor without once actually betraying their location in the process. Only four Hunt tiles had been drawn (3,3,-1,1) and none had revealed them. Poor Sarah!

We got several rules wrong during play, but nothing that would have been too significant, as the Fellowship had a trouble-free run.

You might want to take another gander (look) at the rules. The blue and red tiles do not go into the bag until the Fellowship is placed on the Mordor track. This means that the -1 you drew should have been something else and might have been a reveal. Whereupon Sarah could have hammered you with all the nasty anti-fellowship cards she had been saving up...

Welcome to war-torn Middle Earth!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The blue and red tiles don't go in the bag until Mordor?? Wow I just thought they went back in the bag (along with the Eyes) when you reached Mordor...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bullroarer Took wrote:
You might want to take another gander (look) at the rules. The blue and red tiles do not go into the bag until the Fellowship is placed on the Mordor track. This means that the -1 you drew should have been something else and might have been a reveal. Whereupon Sarah could have hammered you with all the nasty anti-fellowship cards she had been saving up...

Thank you!

Ah, you're quite correct. (English rules, page 19, "Special Hunt Tiles")

I'll keep that in mind for our next game, which seems like it will be on Friday.

Cheers,
Merric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
lol yes i am teh stabbr
mbmbmbmbmb
Bullroarer Took wrote:

Hi there!

I don't think the -1 would've made a difference. It was put in the cup early, but I didn't draw it until the fellowship was in Mordor anyway, not a huge difference. I had 2 of the red tiles in the cup before Mordor also, and they never came out either.

Obviously, I'm the Sarah that was so handily defeated.

Livia.

Edited for evil quote box of doom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What does make a big difference though is mustering troops when your not supposed to.

Mustering units in a stronghold under siege (which is obviously not permitted) will change things a lot. It also seems like you were mustering troops (via muster dice) for nations not yet at war.

It also normally a very very unlucky sauron who can't put minis tirith under siege before gandalf the white gets there.

Stick with it though! I doubt anyone got everything right on their first try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
lol yes i am teh stabbr
mbmbmbmbmb
I've no intention of giving up on the game. Despite losing quite spectacularly, I am eager to try again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
myopia wrote:
What does make a big difference though is mustering troops when your not supposed to.

Mustering units in a stronghold under siege (which is obviously not permitted) will change things a lot. It also seems like you were mustering troops (via muster dice) for nations not yet at war.

Luckily, I wasn't guilty of the latter. I advanced Rohan to war pretty early, and Sarah put Gondor at war for me. Any other troops were placed due to event cards. I spent most of the game just moving the fellowship and drawing event cards to use in battle.

Luckily, I didn't muster into besieged strongholds that much - I discovered the rule halfway through the game, and discontinued the practice (which I only had done once or twice in any case).

Sarah had some incredibly bad luck with the dice in battle as well...

myopia wrote:
It also normally a very very unlucky sauron who can't put minis tirith under siege before gandalf the white gets there.

Inexperience more than anything, I think. Sarah was first trying to get to grips with mustering and movement for the first couple of turns, and then delayed slightly further with the attack on Dol Amroth. Assuming we didn't play something wrong, of course! (quite likely!) Our understanding of the basic rules of the games were fine, but there were a few fiddly bits we were getting wrong, of course.

We've moved up our next game to tonight; I hope to take better notes this time for the subsequent report.

Cheers,
Merric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You guys aren't from Brisbane by any chance? The games society at Queensland Uni has monthly meetings where I often get a game of WOTR in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
lol yes i am teh stabbr
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately not, we're from Victoria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.