Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego (Scripps Ranch)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Battlecards-Pacific Theatre several times. Many of those times the Pearl Harbor attack card was initially passed over to the point that both sides built up HUGHzombie forces! To prevent this possibility from occuring, we now have a 30 card rule. The Japanese must play the Pearl Harbor attack anytime before 30 cards have been "burned". It "clears out" the Pearl Harbor attack early enough in the game to allow the other battles like Midway, Java, etc. (which require an attack on Pearl Harbor) to be played. Essentially, it prevents the possible "bottleneck" if Pearl Harbor is not played early in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always found this to be a very odd aspect of the Pacific version of the game and one that in many cases just seems to break the game. Too bad since there are some neat aspects to this version. Unless that battlecard comes out just right the whole thing just seems off. If the battle comes out too early and is fought then it's not very adventagous for the Japanese and wouldn't allow for a historical Japanese advantage. But if it comes out late it gets a little crazy like you have found. I think the solution is to somehow start with that battle having been won by the Japs. Not sure how that would work out but that would solve the problem in the most desirable and easiest fashion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a solution to this problem I've started taking the top 6 cards off the Conflict deck and then shuffling the Pearl Harbor card in the next 14 cards. That ensures the card will come out earlier in the game but not too early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.