Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Variant [+] [View All]
Brent Wolgemuth
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We added a new variant to Diamant that we really like and thought we would share it with anybody that is interested.

First, we use and would highly recommend Bruno Faiduttis’s variant for this game that says when a 1 card is played that a small statue or gold item is placed on the card (I went to my local Michael’s craft store and picked up some Assorted Ancient Gold Beads that were elongated). We added 5 of these to the game, one for each potential 1 card that could appear in each of the caves. These may only be won by a lone explorer leaving the cave (two or more leaving the cave at the same time leaves the gold item on the 1 card because it can’t be divided). Of course the gold item can also be won by a lone explorer continuing on into the cave. As usual, if the second hazard appears before the gold item is claimed then it is lost. We score each gold item in each cave as 10 points.

We have used this variant above when playing Diamant and it is tremendously fun. Do you try to go out and claim the gold item or not? You think to yourself, “Is anybody else going?, Can I claim it alone?”, knowing that if you guess wrong and leave with somebody else, you both leave the cave empty-handed with neither of you claiming the gold item. This can be especially disastrous if the gold item comes out early in the cave.

The other advantage of having the gold items worth 10 points is that near the end of the game if the caves have been producing a lot of gems and you are running out of gems to give explorers, you can have explorers trade in 2 diamonds (5 each) for 1 gold item.

Now for the new variant…

In conjunction with the above variant, we have added a new one that we think really adds to the game. This variant allows the explorer to purchase the right to explore further in the cave. Each cave has a number from 1 to 5 and that cave number is the cost to have a peek at the next card to be played before the explorers vote to leave or stay. So if you are in cave 1, it costs 1 ruby, in cave 2 it cost 2 rubies. So as you progress through the caves, it becomes more expensive to peek at the next card. The rubies to peek at the next card can only come from what is in your crate at the start of the cave and not what is sitting beside your crate as you explore the cave. So to be able to explore in cave 1, each player is given 1 ruby in their crate to start. So in cave 1, an explorer can only buy once. In subsequent, caves you may buy as many peeks as you want, but you have to pay for them and again they must come from your crate. Also, as many explorers who want to pay to look at the next card may do so before the vote to stay or leave is placed.

We play both of these variants every time we play and it really adds to the game for us. Try these variants together and see what you think…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried and like the Incan Gold (10VP) variant.

What worries me about the Exploring Ahead variant, is it seems like it would drag down the game too much for me. Here's a fairly lite filler, which moves along at a nice clip with our group. To have people making this other decision, then some of those looking at the next card and rethinking their other go/run choice, probably wouldn't work for us.

But that's us...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Maesen
United States
Pacifica
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the 'peek' idea. I'll try it next time we play! I think this game needs a little strategy element to it. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.