Larry Tuxbury
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
badge
SHAZAM!
mbmbmbmbmb
After you and your fellow players have run a heat to see what the starting order is, how do you determine playing order throughout the game? In other words, after each player has pitched once, do they continue in the same order, or does the turn order shift depending on position? The rules that came with the game aren't too specific.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always played that for each turn, the playing order runs from the leader backwards.

Not sure where I got that idea from, because as you say, the rules are unclear on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris__M wrote:
I've always played that for each turn, the playing order runs from the leader backwards.

We play that the order stays the same for the entire race. I would think that changing the turn order would often result in a runaway leader.

Quote:
Not sure where I got that idea from, because as you say, the rules are unclear on this.

I know that Das Motorsportspiel works this way, with turn order based on position (with exceptions made for racers who have to skip a turn due to errors on teh previous turn.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Psauberer wrote:
Chris__M wrote:

We play that the order stays the same for the entire race. I would think that changing the turn order would often result in a runaway leader.

In my experience, the opposite. Playing with a fixed order, there is more an issue with blocking, which can cause an early leader to stay ahead.

For example, if player 3 is leading by a couple of inches, players 1 & 2 have either got to get by him, or will each collide with him and help him further along his way; and *then* player 3 has his own go on top of that.

By playing the leader(s) first, the trailing players have a clearer road ahead of them, and are more likely to catch up with the leader on a per-turn basis.

I'm happy to conceed that this may not be standard rules, but I find it is a more balanced game if you have a high number of players.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward F
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried fixed turn order at first and quickly switch to the turn order starting with the leader going back.

Blocking was definetely a factor with fixed and made it really hard to get around people. With the moving turn order, it easily allowed people to move ahead by a good pitch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Crawford
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Carabande rules, at least in my translation of them, the rules are more specific. They say that the turn order remains the same throughout the race.

Personally, I like the blocking. Makes for more interesting choices and situations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Tuxbury
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
badge
SHAZAM!
mbmbmbmbmb
I e-mailed Ferti and received this response:

Q:
-Do players take their turns in a fixed order? (For example, Steve always goes first, Michele always goes second, and Mark always goes third.)
-Or is it always the turn of whichever player is the farthest to the back of the pack?

A:
Both are possible. We have put the first in the rules, but you can play like you wish (all the variants are good).An other variant : you can play as in Formula D, the first player on the track plays first, then the second, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.