Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
I am so happy I have to share it with the Geek:

Yesterday, after visiting my wife and new-born son in the hospital my wife urged me, when I left, to visit a game store close to the hospital.

So I went there - not really in the mood for buying games. When I entered the owner rose from his chair and started to talk with me (the usual stuff: can I help you, what's your interest). I wanted just to look and the store didn't look like one that could help me so I said: CoSims, ASL

Now his interest was up: "Oh, a player of the good old days." And he started talking even more (I could not browse the store 'cause he held me pinned with his talking). We chatted a bit about the "good old days of AH" and I assumed, as often read here on the geek, that some of the old titles could make a profit for the new owner if you regard the price that a certain Hannibal fetches on ebay.

"Oh", he said, "I have a Hannibal game here in my store. Like to look at it?" And before I could answer he took me in the back of his store. Up a shelf it was.

Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage, mint box, no dents, no split corners, no rubbing of. Unplayed. He opened it. Cards are still shrinked (not the new ebay - shrink but really shrinked), rules unopened, counters bagged. Counters bagged? I looked puzzled - couldn't belief what I saw. He interpreted my look different, excused himself for punching the counters and bagging them "but they came off the sprue..." and asked me, if I would take this game. He would even give me 25 % off the price. So I payed the 30 bucks he was asking for (mind you, we talked about a certain Hannibal and the prices on ebay before!!!) and took it home. All the way home I really wondered why he could have it on a shelf in his store and no one bought it in all those years.

Checked the geek to find out if it was REALLY complete - it was.

Couldn't understand my luck - I am really happy. So it will see the light of gaming-day very soon.

But I wonder what I could have get on ebay for an unused copy like this.

Not a thrift-store find (I always envied you guys for those) but for me somthing that comes close to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
This is beautiful. We are thrilled together with you!! A new son to love cherish and play with - and also a baby to boot...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last 4 Hannibal Rome vs Carthage in mint condition went for $170 - $183 on ebay. Good Find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
Me: "So, how's the Wife and kid?"

You(distracted): "Who?"

Me(puzzled): "You know...Hospital, Blessed Event, child brought in the world..."

You(dawning): "Oh, oh yeah! (Smiling) A little boy! My son! We named him Hannibal..."

Congratulations on your new addition, my friend. And the game as well, you lucky so and so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Simon
Germany
Neuss
flag msg tools
Yesterday a copy of Hannibal was sold in german ebay.
The games was unplayed and 95% unpunched (some counters fell out)
and it went for 83€, so still kinda reasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
berserkley wrote:
Me: "So, how's the Wife and kid?"

You(distracted): "Who?"

Me(puzzled): "You know...Hospital, Blessed Event, child brought in the world..."

You(dawning): "Oh, oh yeah! (Smiling) A little boy! My son! We named him Hannibal..."

Congratulations on your new addition, my friend. And the game as well, you lucky so and so...

To make some things clear concerning my wife and son:

He is 9 days old but due to the fact that my wife has to stay in the hospital so has he. And no, I wasn't in a game-store while he tried the great escape. D'oh. No, I was in the hospital and sat with her while they were butchering her (and could see more than I would ask for). gulp

And no, he's not named Hannibal - but, why didn't you say this earlier, it's a nice name. Nope, he's named Paul.

After all my wife was sending me in the store after I did my regular 3 - 4 hours daily visit at the hospital after work - that will raise the level if your wives are reading this, ha - and she hoped that I would find some "gaming - comrades" so I could play boardgames more often . Not that she tries to get me out of the house, we usually play at our place - in my own gaming room. Yeeeessss, she's very special. That's why I love her. kiss And my son has chosen the right hospital - close to a gamestore (Mmmmmhhh, Games). He'll see what this will do to him.

Thanks for your funny replies and the congrats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The store owner probably wanted to win over a new customer for life. Hope you enjoy the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW! A newborn Son AND a copy of Hannibal!!

CONGRATULATIONS WOLFGANG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice Wolfgang. Great story. I was trying to get my lovely spouse to consider Hannibal as a name for our last son. She didn't go for it wow

Anyway, Hannibal is about the last grail I'm aiming for. Considering all the finds I've made, one day, I will thrift Hannibal! And wouldn't consider selling it on eBay to some heathen who might not treat it properly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My first game: BASKETmind, a 5-on-5 basketball match
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Yesterday, after visiting my wife and new-born son in the hospital my wife urged me, when I left, to visit a game store close to the hospital.

While reading your story, at some point I was expecting that in the end your wife had arranged with the store guy to make you beleive that you found Hannibal for 30€, she having payed 150€ already, but we had a happy ending... or not? Just check with the store guy!!!

Concerning the name Hannibal, my first son was named Alexander, so Hannibal for the second one was just too much...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fritz
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zaphod wrote:
Last 4 Hannibal Rome vs Carthage in mint condition went for $170 - $183 on ebay. Good Find.

I broke down and I bought one of those ($202 with shipping cry ), so with my luck, you can expect a reprint announcement by the end of the year..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
berserkley wrote:
"We named him Hannibal..."

Personally, I would name my son Scipio before choosing Hannibal. Too many canibal jokes.

Hey, now that would raise eyebrows at the school, eh?

"Hmmm...you wish to enroll you son. His name is Scipio Africanus Holzman? Should we call him Skippy?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Madsen
Sweden
Bandhagen
n/a
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a friend who named his kids Alexander and Viktoria; now that is some legacy to live up to!

/kgm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Dizzy
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When reading your post, I also thought this was a setup by a clever wife. Your wife tells you to go to a game store (I'm sorry but that's unheard of with my wife). The store owner was obviously talking too much- keeping the conversation going until Hannibal was mentioned. Then selling a near perfect copy for such a low price.

Be sure to check your paypal or credit card statements for a mysterious $150-180 charge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
This WILL be reprinted. It might take a while but it will. Congrats on your incredible find though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Packard
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, a very sincere and hearty congratulations all around: For your new son, for such a thoughtful wife, for your excellent deal, for finding what might be a great new source of games and comraderie in that gamestore ... for everything.

But ... I'm concerned about your wife. I don't mean to pry if this is too personal, but I hope your wife is doing OK and gets better very soon. Being in the hospital for 9 days sounds rather serious. Your family is in my prayers, Wolfgang.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.