Hide
3 Posts

Field Commander: Napoleon» Forums » Rules

Subject: Battle plan sequence rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spartan Spartan
msg tools
Hi, I think I must have missed something in the sequence during battles.
1. Since the enemy moves first and starts in column, with opposing forces on each others approach spaces, isn't it almost always certain that two enemy columns will advance one space having had to take default advance battle plan?
2. A couple of French battle plans seem to suggest they take affect in the enemies turn. I understood that the sequence makes the enemy activate all plans enemy and default then the French. But the French prepare battle plan says resolve before enemy. Not sure what this means as all French battle plans would anyhow the way I understand it. Similarly square talks about resolving before the enemy resolves its plans.
Thanks,
Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi from Germany,

here is an example how I play the game.

The situation:
Both sides may use 2 Battle plans.

French: "Flank" to the best infantry force. "Prepare" and "Fire" to the fortification force. The remaining 3 infantry forces all receive the "Pivot" default battle plan.

Austrians: "Closing" to the cavalry force (this forces an activation die roll and it could fail). "Rush" to the strongest infantry force (to have it crushed by the Flank attack). "Combat" to the fortification, and "Advance" to the remaining two infantry forces.

Battle plans were assigned.

Now the action begins.
The French fortification force goes FIRST! Cannons roar and deplete the ranks and files in white.
Phase 1 of the French overall battle tactics succeeds: weaken the enemy's main force.
Now the Cavalry is ordered to advance.

The order apparently never made it. The force remains in place.
Always exploit opportunities.
The other specific battle plan is executed.
But this force is reduced in strength and effectiveness.
The other infantry follows ... less enthusiastic.

Finally, the cannons - made in Vienna - roar.
Their fire is effective. That's why you should always have some forces together with your striking forces to take the inevitable losses.

Flank attack!
The Shock attack wipes out the already weakened enemy force.
The French soldiers now crush into the enemy lines. A bloody melee ensues ...

The situation after this decisive maneuver:
The remaining three infantry units now change into line formation.
The first battle round is over.

The game system provides a great opportunity to test your battle skills. And is always fun to play.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Donnelly
Canada
Unspecified
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Uwe points out, part of your cunning battle tactics is assigning the enemy battle plans in a manner that will potentially be advantageous TO YOU, while still following the rules, of course.

Note that the Prepare plan affects only one force on the French side; the others will act AFTER the enemy resolves its plans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.