Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Planescape
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm in a pickle. I am trying to decide whether or not to sell some of my board games.

My collection isn't large by any means, but on the one hand I could use the money/space. On the other hand, I eventually want to have children, and the more options they have the better... right; plus it's nice to have a variety of board games no matter what.

Here is the list of my games I may sell. Though I am leaning towards just keeping them all... the money is pretty small in the scheme of things anyway.

-Micro Mutants: Evolution
-Ticket to Ride: Europe
-Lord of the Rings
-Dice Town
-RoadZters
-Diplomacy
-The Walking Dead: The Board Game
-Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game
-Colossal Arena
-God Dice
-Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)
-Reef Encounter
-Stratego: The Lord of the Rings
-Leonardo da Vinci
-Thunderstone
-Dreadfleet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elyse S.
United States
Yuba City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never sell things because I find it a pita but if you like you could send me Reef Encounterwhistle
I would only get rid of games you don't enjoy playing them or if you seriously need more space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
$1

You should sell things that are strictly outclassed by another game, or which just NEVER GET PLAYED even if you want to love them.

I need to get around to a purge, myself; I'm in a situation where a huge number of my games can be "Jones' Rule"d out of my house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you factor in that buyers are going to have to pay the cost of shipping (which means they won't pay as much) and then deduct the 3% charge (because all games have to be sold through the marketplace to give BGG its cut), you're going to get less for these than you think. Then you have to look at how "in demand" the games you have are. A couple of those have been discount deals on different sites for a while now. So I'm not sure how well they'll sell. You might be better off just keeping them. Although I guess there's no harm in putting them on the marketplace... just don't go in with unrealistic expectations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fables429 wrote:
...I eventually want to have children, and the more options they have the better... right;

As a parent who plays games with my kids, I would say that's faulty logic. New games keep coming out all the time. And there are way more than enough. Having a lot just makes the decision of what to play that much harder. It's not that different from video games. Do you keep video games to play with your kids? More likely if you play video games with them, you'll play whatever is popular when they're at the right age. Me, I still play Age of Empires (and Rise of Nations) with my kids. Similarly, if you have a few games that you never tire of and specifically want to play with your kids, by all means keep them. But you don't need to keep games because "the more options they have the better."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
When you factor in that buyers are going to have to pay the cost of shipping (which means they won't pay as much) and then deduct the 3% charge (because all games have to be sold through the marketplace to give BGG its cut), you're going to get less for these than you think.

If you sell them on BGG to out of town folks. I sell my games locally. Other than a few grail games which I've sold on BGG. I don't even list games on BGG anymore, but I continue to sell locally. Which I recommend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a charge to it, but I like bringing what I want to sell to the local gaming conventions I go to that have auctions/auction stores. Then I spend what I can get (along with new money ) on what new attempts at gaming bliss are in the dealer's room. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Sim
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 2 cents:

- Perhaps you might also like to consider trading the games away for others you might like more. We have traded twice as many games as we sold as trading is really much easier than selling....people usually tend to be more willing to trade. One man's poison might be another man's meat.

- Trading helps in some space issue too especially when you trade a couple of games for one game.

- Is your significant other a gamer? Discuss your opinions and options together.

Good luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
When you factor in that buyers are going to have to pay the cost of shipping (which means they won't pay as much) and then deduct the 3% charge (because all games have to be sold through the marketplace to give BGG its cut), you're going to get less for these than you think.

If you sell them on BGG to out of town folks. I sell my games locally. Other than a few grail games which I've sold on BGG. I don't even list games on BGG anymore, but I continue to sell locally. Which I recommend.

Yes, well you live in a much larger metropolitan area than I do. I don't really have much chance of selling games locally. But if that's an option, I'd recommend it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel there is a subconscious cost to owning more games than you need. Often referred to as the paradox of choice, you can find yourself being negatively affected in a variety of ways. I'd argue that you are already feeling the effects, evidenced by the time and thought you have out into writing this post. Life is short, and you have felt the need to micromanage your admittedly small collection. It will only get worse.

Sell or trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Planescape
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Should I keep any of the games on the list, or are they not must haves?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also in the process of selling games, due to many of the issues you have. It is difficult parting with games sometimes, but I have been very strict with myself. I could have been even more strict, sold off most of the games that people around me also own, but I would be left with virtually nothing. So I have sold off the games that a most likely will never play. That has reduced my collection considerably, though new additions are made, as I sometimes win games at events... You just need to `feel` the games. Choose those you can`t part with, sell off the rest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Citizen Andrew
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Test
less is more

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.