California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Just read the really impressive selection of games FFG is releasing in 2006.

This game does sound interesting though its quite a bummer its collectible. I think the Mage Knight 1.0/2.0 debacle has burned out any collectible games out of my system. But it will be interesting to see what they do with this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in the market for the MC:SotC boardgame but I'll wait for this.

I've already spent far too much on their CoC CCG, looks like they'll be getting some more of my money.

Whoever invented the concept of "rarity" needs to be flogged -- I hate how in a typical CCG, each of the three rarities is one third of the total number of unique cards in the set, but they're distributed in something akin to 7:3:1.

However, for a combat-based CMG I expect all those commons would see some use.

-Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
The best thing you can do about collectible games is to "Just say no!" If enough people stop spending way too much money on them then the publishers will stop doing all this rare, super rare, promo crap.

I finally stopped buying collectible games after Pirates. Got into that for awhile after spending about $300 and then realized what a drain it was on my funds plus the game wasn't really that fun to play anyway. Heck after spending thousands on Mage Knight 1.0 and then having it all become worthless after 2.0 came out I should have known better.

Think of it this way. Think of how many board and card games you can buy instead of all those boosters that just never end until the game finally dies from over saturation. That rare figure you spend $200 for on ebay will be worth about 50 cents in a few years.

Or do what I did. I loved MK Dungeons and now that its dead its possible to complete a set for a fraction of what it went for when it was new.

But I guess I just feel strongly about this. I had some friends with little kids that would steal or cause fights at school, all over those Pokemon trading cards! It got so bad the school had to ban the cards. At the height of Magic I saw grown men spend every cent they had to buy over inflated cards.

I'm sure this game will be cool but if FFG wanted to they could have packaged it as a non-collectible game. They make great board games. Just wish they could have done this as a board game with expansion sets instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
ScottE wrote:
I'm sure this game will be cool but if FFG wanted to they could have packaged it as a non-collectible game. They make great board games. Just wish they could have done this as a board game with expansion sets instead.

I'm finding all of the collectable hate amusing. No matter what format FFG publishes a game in, there are always people that will complain.

Anyways, the starter set will be non-random and meant for 2 players. One of my playtest goals will be to ensure that the starter set can offer a good stand-alone game experience.

Mike Z

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Gustafsson

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without random content there wouldn't be a game in the first place. You can't expect game stores to stock 100 different products in a range for every new game that comes around. Instead they stock 1 product and let's the customer sort it out. -It's the trick that makes the game feasible in the first place, because it's niche and the game stores are already crammed with all those Warhammer blisters everywhere.

So I'll just accept the good with the bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Diebel
United States
Phildelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Mike Z...
I saw you were amused at the CMG hate mail. Sadly you find it amusing...as it seems you have direct involvement with the development of the game (ala your mention of playtesting).

Rather than finding amusement, you might want to consider the foreshadowing of it all...

CMG might look good on paper based on the tremendous success Wizards of the Coast had over the past few years. But the bottom eventually drops out...take a look at the 90's...ever hear of "the dot com" economy!

I repeat the same prophecy of a few other threads...
...the way of the dodo....

Simple statistics and a slight upcharge to a booster could result in tons more profit...otherwise FFG is just going to hand over the real win to the game store and ebayers for those rare gems, and by the time they're bought up, FFG will be paking up the molds because they can't move boosters off of the shelves. Probably why Wiz-Coast just upped the ante on their boxed goods. Not moving enough...gotta regain equilibrium!

FFG - Please hear my cry - it's not too late to revise your website and say "we changed our mind...its a MINIATURE GAME...but NOT a random collectible miniature game".....

I fear in 2010 I'll do a web search on Mutant, and I'll find FFG listed along with a long line of others that just never did the MC Universe any justice...all becuase of marketting...and not for the love of the game.

Anyway...Game on. Please prove me wron, FFG....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Diebel
United States
Phildelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
And By The Way....
ETHERTON!!!!

STILL BUY SOTC. GREAT GAME!!!!!! For the $20 to $30 you'll spend, you'll get your monies worth in the first night of play. Grab a copy of Fury of the Clansmen while you're at it!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
waitsfan wrote:
But the bottom eventually drops out...

One thing people fail to realize - the bottom drops out on most non-collect games faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Diebel
United States
Phildelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Funny,

I seem to know of a bunch of games out there that are NOT random CMGs that have lasted the test of time. I think the name of the group that makes it is called "Games Workshop." Ever hear of them?

Ironically, they are higher priced than any other game out there, just about, yet they have longevity that far surpasses all others. And they are in such demand still that they have to have their own stores, and can't rely on small comic book shops to handle their distribution. If that's not "successful," then I guess I should go back and review my econmics and marketing notes.

Maybe I'm an idiot...but the CMG approach was kicked off with Mage Knight ... and where is that game now? And like I said...Star Wars will sell because of Lucas, Dungeons and Dragons is the start of it all, and Heroclix is based on the most successful powerhouse comic publisher ever. They have such a fan base that you could sell piles of fresh steamy dog crap with a logo of the Republic, or with a big red and yellow "S" and call it Star-poop or Super-poop, and people would buy it because it's endorsed by said powerhouses.

Not the same for a small, relatively unheard of game that has failed miserably under four seperate publishers...but has such potential to thrive. I stand by everybody on this post that says the CMG approach is wrong...because it is.

And what's worse, now the scale isn't even compatible with previous versions or with other games. Poor form, FFG....poor form.

On the other hand, just so as to debate with an elemnt of logic, I will acquiesce to the Wizards of the Coast Pirates game...only because the brilliance in their styrene card approach was the fact that it's production cost is minimal, and the materials needed to develop it are minimal and applicable to other applications. But a CMG requires molds, and painting, and assembly...etc. HUGE undertaking with significant first cost. I am surprised that a game publisher as big and as reputable as FFG (who I give tremendous props for their AWESOME publications including WoW, LOTR, Descent, Doom, and TI) would make this move. Maybe their overhead and production is already so well accounted for by all of the other games that they think it's a worthwhile gamble. Me...I say they use their resources to be more direct in their approach, give the people exactly what they want, then add a slight premium to make up (and even exceed) the lost revenues predicted to be eanred on random sales.

Again...I make good money. But even when I didn't, I would still have rather spent $5 on something that I kNOW what I am getting rather than a penny on 10 things that I Don't know what I am getting. I'm surprised parents don't tire of their kids blowing their allowances on random crap! You would think parents would eventually get wise to this awful, awful approach to marketting game products.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Pietraszak
Germany
Aachen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frostmarrow wrote:
Without random content there wouldn't be a game in the first place. You can't expect game stores to stock 100 different products in a range for every new game that comes around. Instead they stock 1 product and let's the customer sort it out. -It's the trick that makes the game feasible in the first place, because it's niche and the game stores are already crammed with all those Warhammer blisters everywhere.

A very good point.

I worked in a small comic/game shop a few years ago, and space is certainly a factor.

My CMG bashing will be toned down a bit in the future... (then again, I'm not that much of a basher like some other people).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.