Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: Lem's favored card type rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
When do you decide the card type? Before drawing, after drawing? Can you change card type after each mulligan?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Decide before you draw your initial six cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Before drawing, and only once seems the most fair. Otherwise you could keep changing the type and doing mulligans until you had a really nice hand of whatever you wanted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:

source? thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
johncraven wrote:
Mundane wrote:

source? thanks

p.7:
Quote:
The character card also lists a favored card type. If you did not draw at least 1 card of that type, discard that hand and draw again

How can you "not draw" your favored card if you haven't chosen what your favored card is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd have to choose your favored card type before you draw, otherwise you can't claim it's a mulligan since you didn't have a favored card type to begin with, and so there was no way to end up with cards of 'null' type. Therefore, it only makes sense that you'd choose your favored card type either when you start the character or before you first draw for the scenario.

However, this really should be clarified, because it's still ambiguous.

Do you choose when you start the character?
Do you choose before your first draw only?
Do you choose before each draw if you end taking a mulligan?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
johncraven wrote:
Mundane wrote:

source? thanks

p.7:
Quote:
The character card also lists a favored card type. If you did not draw at least 1 card of that type, discard that hand and draw again

How can you "not draw" your favored card if you haven't chosen what your favored card is?

well in theory, you could draw 5 cards, then say "it's weapon", then draw the 6th card, and look back and see that you didn't draw a weapon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a rule somewhere that I missed that disallows the use of common sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
Yep! Remember, if it's not in the rulebook, then it doesn't exist as a rule! There's no rule in the rulebook that says use common sense, so using common sense isn't allowed!

On a more serious and point-worthy note:

Well, after reading the paizo forums, the idea there makes more sense.

A) The choice isn't recorded on the character card in any way, therefore the choice is not permanent from character creation.

B) Once you start drawing, you mulligan until you find your favored card, therefore that favored card can't change between mulligans, since once you begin, you continue until you find it.

Therefor, you choose at the start of the scenario before you first begin drawing what Lem's favored type is, and it remains that type throughout the entire pre-start draw and mulligan steps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:

come on man, is it really that far a stretch to conceive that you could decide your favored card type after seeing your first hand? the whole point of the choice is to give you more flexibility right? I still think that my interpretation of the ability could be valid. at the very least you gotta concede that it is ambiguous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Edmonds
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In my games, the ruling is; whistleLem gets a free optional mulligan; only one; after he draws his hand. Everyone using Lem has not used it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johncraven wrote:
Malacandra wrote:

come on man, is it really that far a stretch to conceive that you could decide your favored card type after seeing your first hand? the whole point of the choice is to give you more flexibility right? I still think that my interpretation of the ability could be valid. at the very least you gotta concede that it is ambiguous.

Everyone else knows their favored card type before they draw their opening hand. Why would Lem be different? I don't concede that it's ambiguous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
johncraven wrote:
Malacandra wrote:

Everyone else knows their favored card type before they draw their opening hand. Why would Lem be different? I don't concede that it's ambiguous.

in other games, mulligans are decided after you see your first hand. it's not that hard to believe that a bard has access to a "real" mulligan compared to other characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johncraven wrote:
Malacandra wrote:
johncraven wrote:
Malacandra wrote:

in other games, mulligans are decided after you see your first hand. it's not that hard to believe that a bard has access to a "real" mulligan compared to other characters.

You can call it whatever you want and you can play THIS game with the rules from other games but just recognize that the rules for THIS game don't say anything about a "mulligan," but rather you have a favored card type and if you don't draw that, you keep drawing until you do. So Lem picks a card type and if he doesn't see it, he keeps drawing until he does.

I genuinely do not see how this could be a confusing thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
ok I give up lol even if you don't use the word mulligan, it's still not clear when you should decide what the favored card type is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johncraven wrote:
ok I give up lol even if you don't use the word mulligan, it's still not clear when you should decide what the favored card type is.

OK, well you better not play Lem til you figure it out. As for me, I'm going to play it like any other character's favored card: you know what it is before you draw. Therefore, I'll choose it before I draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
johncraven wrote:

OK, well you better not play Lem til you figure it out. As for me, I'm going to play it like any other character's favored card: you know what it is before you draw. Therefore, I'll choose it before I draw.

too late lol the only character I'm been playing so far is Lem (13 games). I always choose in advance weapons but there are situations where I would have not chosen Weapon if I saw my hand first, hence my question!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Goodfriend

Berwyn
Illinois
msg tools
mb
Easier than mulliganning with Lem:
Search your deck for the Sling.
Shuffle, draw 5.

(Or...if you're lucky, search your deck for the +1 Deathbane Crossbow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, whatever you do, just don't pick armor. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D
United States
Asheville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
on what page are the rules for favored card types? I must have completely looked over that part of the rule book somehow when reading it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thorsmitersaw wrote:
on what page are the rules for favored card types? I must have completely looked over that part of the rule book somehow when reading it.

Everyone but Lem has a set favored card type. Lem is the only one that gets to choose his, and he can do it before each scenario. What rule are you referring to? The rule that says you must discard your entire hand and re-draw if you don't have a card of your favored type in your starting hand? It's in the setup rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thorsmitersaw wrote:

This was actually covered earlier in this very thread:

Malacandra wrote:
johncraven wrote:
Mundane wrote:

source? thanks

p.7:
Quote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.