Subject: Campaign play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac Santos
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Hey everybody,

I'm new to Boardgamegeek. Looking for some suggestions for board games that have "campaign play." I'm referring to games like HeroQuest, where players continue playing with the same character through multiple adventures/scenarios, and the character progresses in power, wealth and/or equipment. Basically, no one-shot games. I don't really care about genre or rules complexity, though it'd be preferable if average play time for each scenario wasn't more than 2 hours.

I don't know what the specific search parameter would be to find these types of games on Boardgamegeek. I apologize if this has been asked before, but I wasn't able to find information in the forum.

Thanks ahead of time for your suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Foldenauer
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set - it's like you wrote your post as the opening for a commercial to this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No need to apologize. Most of us love talking shop and recommending games no matter how many times it's been asked.

When I hear campaign like you describe, I think of two things: Descent and Mice & Mystics. There are more out there I'm sure, but these come up all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you mentioned HeroQuest, I assume you're referring to an RPG with a campaign mode? Not a wargame? Do you want a full co-op, or one where one player plays a DM/Overlord role?

Beyond the aforementioned Descent and Mice and Mystics, I'd look at the D&D games: Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game, Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game, and Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game.

Also, once it comes out in a few months, Myth sounds like it would be right up your alley as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a fantasy theme but Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations has long, medium and short campaigns where pilots gain in experience and abilities (or need rest from stress and sometimes die) after flying various missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Campbell
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fograsher wrote:
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set - it's like you wrote your post as the opening for a commercial to this game.

+1. As long as card games are ok, this should be a perfect fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toms Leikums
Latvia
Jelgava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven tp,ayed it, and i bet the time commitment is higher than you would want, but Risk Legacy may also be Of interest to you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Santos
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm open to various types of games, though I'm thinking more along the lines of an RPG with miniatures where the same character can improve over time (a la HeroQuest). Not exactly thinking card games or war games, per se, though again, I appreciate any suggestions. Also, it would be good if the game had one player who acts as a game master/villain (though this isn't a requirement).

Descent sounds great, as does Space Hulk and Legions of Steel. So does Hybrid (though its made for two players, which is a little limited for my tastes).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:
When I hear campaign like you describe, I think of two things: Descent and Mice & Mystics. There are more out there I'm sure, but these come up all the time.

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Zdan
United States
Council Bluffs
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) is probably the closest/best for what you're looking for - 1 player playing DM vs. everyone else as a team, uses miniatures, play time is usually under 2 hrs., and a little deeper than similar games. Mice and Mystics and all the Dungeons & Dragons board games would be other good choices, although they seem to be a little 'lighter'. Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set is another good option, although there isn't a DM player, and it uses cards instead of miniatures. Finally, if you don't know the specific search parameter to use for these types of games, I'd suggest doing a search of GeekLists (as opposed to Board Games) for "Dungeon Crawl", which seems to be the genre of games you're looking for. That should bring up tons of similar suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like HeroQuest, I think Descent 2.0 is probably what you're looking for. It's like HeroQuest grew up. There are more options to customize your heroes, and the overlord has more strategic options, plus actual goals besides just trying to beat the heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legends of Andor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered an "actual" rpg, like Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game, or Lamentations of the Flame Princess or Pathfinder Roleplaying Game?

I play an rpg campaign that only plays 2 hours a week, and it's great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Descent 2nd ed, great campaign feel in that game.

+1 too for the Pathfinder cardgame but have just bought it and havent tried it yet but it has a campaign system, just know that the whole campaign isnt in the box (only the first 1/6) rest is coming out the following months.

If you clearly know that you want campaign stuff, I would advice to stay clear of the D&D Boardgames (WoD, Drizzt and Ravenloft) as they are pure one-shot maps unless you use a variant from their forums.

Descent needs an Overlord, a gamer who controls the monsters and play against the heroes. Pathfinder (and the D&D games) dont require an overlord, is coop and can be solo'ed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.