Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Reprint of Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage???????????? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me first take the opportunity to congratulate fellow Geek Wolfang Kunz with the birth of his son AND obtaining a new copy of Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage!

His thread about finding a copy inspired me to post a new thread about the game.

After all that is written and the excellent ratings, why is nobody not reprinting this wanted game?!

If GMT would put it in P500, I think the same will happen as with Commands & Colors: Ancients Expansion 1: ready for production after few days / weeks.

Okay, I forgot they first have to get wrid of their Sword of Rome stock..

Anyhow, I think it would be an excellent time for a reprint!

GMT, do we really need to wait that long??!!zombie

Decision Games: maybe an opportunity to score a big hit and counter balance the GMT market dominance??!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Smit
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
Im not an expert on the matter but my understanding is that this game is not being reprinted because Hasbro is holding the rights for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
ConnCon 2018 March 23, 24, 25 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmb
Right ... Hasbro owns the title and has shown no interest reprinting the game or in selling or leasing the rights.

Why? Well, you'll have to ask Hasbro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard that Fantasy Flight just obtained the rights two weeks ago! They updated and streamlined the rules last week, they are playtesting it this week, and they are producing it next week with the most gorgeous bits imaginable. It should hit the stores by the end of March.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Smit
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
Expect the errata next week .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Dane,

Now that is good news and a smart move from Fantasy Flight!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Hasbro is interested in selling games it can sell 30,000 copies of at Toys R Us. Hannibal as good as it is simply doesn't have that wide an appeal.

When Hasbro bought out Avalon Hill they actually gave For The People back to Mark Herman who gave it to GMT to publish and it was a good seller for them (Keep in mind a good seller for GMT and a good seller for Hasbro are be two different levels). I suspect that Hasbro decided that many of these old Avalon Hill games as good as they are (Hannibal, Age of Renaissance, Republic of Rome), that handing them back to their designers to have published elsewhere only helps other game companies i.e. their competition. So they will not publish these games themselves and they will not allow the designers to have them published elsewhere.

Hasbro has every right to do this and truth is it's a smart thing to do business wise. However it hurts designers who can't get their games reprinted and thus make money on their work. It also keeps gamers from having access to literally dozens of titles like Hannibal, We The People and Atlantic Storm.

Now I know some folks like to say that nobody wants these old Avalon Hill titles. Every time I chime in on this topic I know one person who keeps going "Are you trying to tell me you think people are dying to buy copies of Twix, Facts in Five and Shakespeare? I don't think so!" No, I don't think that. A good chunk of the old AH catalog contains some out of date and downright bad games. However on the other end you have games like Up Front, On To Richmond, Hannibal, Roads to Gettysburg, Titan, Colonial Diplomacy and Kremlin. Look at what Fantasy Flight has just done with Britannia and I think that shows that there are many older Avalon Hill titles worth seeing republished. It would be nice if Hasbro allowed it to happen.

Csigs wrote:
Right ... Hasbro owns the title and has shown no interest reprinting the game or in selling or leasing the rights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Harae wrote:
Hi Dane,

Now that is good news and a smart move from Fantasy Flight!!

Harae, Dane is joking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Csigs wrote:

Because something like a p500 or so is an absurdly tiny blip to Hasbro. This game is for a different target audience than theirs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, Hannibal is not a game Hasbro would sell now. But, they've sold the rights to other games. So, why wouldn't they want to sell the rights to this one? Is there a buyer? Are they asking too much for the rights to this one and thus, no buyer wants it?

gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Madsen
Sweden
Bandhagen
n/a
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, they didn't redo the old AH Gaugamela game when the Alexander movie came out, but I still think they may be hanging onto the rights to Hannibal just to keep their options open _when_ Hollywood churns out a movie on the subject...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
kgm3219 wrote:
Well, they didn't redo the old AH Gaugamela game when the Alexander movie came out, but I still think they may be hanging onto the rights to Hannibal just to keep their options open _when_ Hollywood churns out a movie on the subject...

Perhaps, but I just can't see the point if the game isn't their audience... i.e. they have target distributors that sell into chains of stores like Toys R Us, etc. Why would they stock such a game when the consumer is buying Risk? It makes no business sense. The distributors would be in an uproar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sky Knight X wrote:
I heard that Fantasy Flight just obtained the rights two weeks ago! They updated and streamlined the rules last week, they are playtesting it this week, and they are producing it next week with the most gorgeous bits imaginable. It should hit the stores by the end of March.

Dane, you're 16 days early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Madsen
Sweden
Bandhagen
n/a
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew, they'd probably only stick with the name, not the game mechanics. (Hey, we could use the inevitable miniatures with C&C:Ancients!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In case this wasn't the case, there must be ways to bypass these bloody rights, right?!

just rename the bloody game:

-Annibal: Ome vs. Arthage or
-Cannibal: Home vs. Rarthage

Do as the Chinese do: copy the damn bloody thing and called it differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having just played this gem, the only way I would be glad that FFG got their mitts on it would be if Christian Petersen and Kevin Wilson were tied up in a dark, dank basement somewhere during the entire development process while the designer rejiggered the game. Ultimately, Wilson and Petersen would be released to market it ONLY!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dane,

You are really a joker aren't you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Sky Knight X wrote:
with the most gorgeous bits imaginable.

Really? HiveGod pimped gorgeous??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Natus wrote:
Having just played this gem, the only way I would be glad that FFG got their mitts on it would be if Christian Petersen and Kevin Wilson were tied up in a dark, dank basement somewhere during the entire development process while the designer rejiggered the game. Ultimately, Wilson and Petersen would be released to market it ONLY!

I dunno... think about how absolutely hilarious it would be to have a SEPARATE deck of cards for each elephant in Hannibal's army. That way, each elephant would have it's own personality (not to mention unique plastic mini) and you could determine the elephant's mood before each battle!

gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kvn299 wrote:
a SEPARATE deck of cards for each elephant in Hannibal's army. That way, each elephant would have it's own personality (not to mention unique plastic mini) and you could determine the elephant's mood before each battle!

My God, I would buy that game in a second! Elephantine personality! Without a doubt!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps we should all sign a petition to get Hasbro to release or reprint the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nevin wrote:
Perhaps we should all sign a petition to get Hasbro to release or reprint the game.

Until you get 10,000 people, you wouldn't even be noticed. And then you would be duly ignored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shepherd
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sky Knight X wrote:

Wow, Dane! March is truly going to be a great month for us gamers. I've heard that Chessex will have Wiz War on shelves next week!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rosewater
Switzerland
Zürich
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If Hasbro did GMT's P500 it would probably be a P25000 or even a P50000 ? zombie

So the idea of a plagiarism is more realistic. Same game other name. I like the Cannibal version too
What about a Simpsons franchise: Carnival: Homer vs. Barthago

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Mind you not all old Avalon Hill games went to Hasbro. Looks like the contracts were different for some designers. While a lot of really good games ended up in Hasbro's hands it looks like Richard Berg owns the rights to his Avalon Hill titles like Blackbeard, Successors and Conquistador. Lewis Pulsipher also was able to keep his rights to Britannia thank goodness which resulted in the great new FF version of the game. Unfortunately those are the exceptions rather than the rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.