Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Deckard
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started with the core set, recieved the Return to Mirkwood adventure pack and Kazahd-Duhn expansion for my birthday. Awesome.

What, if any, are the adventure packs, or expansions, that are considered "essential".

I know this is a loaded question, subject to opinion, but as I have seen with other games there is usually some consensus on what is the expansion/pack/addon "to get" that "really unlocks the game".

What would I consider essential?

The pack/expansion with that hero that is a must have for a sphere or links together spheres for the ultimate deck. etc.
(allies can be synonymous with heroes for this discussion)

Or

...maybe it's just an awesome adventure.

On a not so related note/rant; I've got an Amazon gift card burning a hole in my digital pocket. I was initially planning on picking up Netrunner or the Star Wars LCG, but I think it might be best to focus on one lcg at a time, lest I start spending all of my money.

I barely get to play as it is (once ever 1-2 weeks) with work, my degree, a 10mo son (and another on the way soon), and I'm starting to think that with board games, its probably better to limit my collection to get games out more often, than a ton of games taught and played once. Plus I'd like to get rolling on trades...

But I digress...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll find this page to be a helpful resource in determining "essentials".
http://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2012/12/17/new-player...

His blog is also a good, all-around resource for the game (others are linked on the LotR:LCG page at BGG).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Deckard
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John85 wrote:

His blog is also a good, all-around resource for the game (others are linked on the LotR:LCG page at BGG).

Awesome, thanks for sharing. I will look into this some more. Just browsing already answered a few of my questions.

Do you feel like it is spot on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys jo
msg tools
It is extremely difficult for new players to jump into this game especially if they are on tight budget and do not want to eventually buy every packs that were released.

Normally I would recommand buying adventure packs in order of release, because of later quests are desgined with expectation that you would have access to previously released player cards (therefore generally more difficult), but from original post I assume this is not an option at the moment.

Having said that, Saga Expansions are (supposed to be) friendly for new comers of this game.
Various interviews I've seen online makes me believe that designers intended Saga Expansions to be playable with Core Set and (if applicable) previously released Saga Expansions only.
So my recommandation would be to grab 'Hobbits: Over Hill and Under Hill' first, try it and see if you like it then grab 'Hobbits: On the Doorstep', or wait few weeks and grab the 'Black Riders' (upcoming Fellowship of the Rings Saga Expansion that contains most cards you would need to make a decent Hobbit Deck.. or so it seems) when it comes out.

Also one of the regular expansions called 'Stewards of Gondor' has exceptional player cards as this pack contains almost every card you need to build yourself a descent 'Outlands' trait deck.
But be warned, to play the quest that comes with Steward's Fear requires Heris of Numenor delux expansion, and quests from Heirs of Numenor delux expansion is noctoriously difficult for new comers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you already have Khazad-Dum, I would recommend you pick up the following packs from the accompanying Dwarrowdelf cycle. These will give you some excellent player cards and quests:

Foundations of Stone
Watcher in the Water
Shadow in Flame

The Hobbit saga expansions would also be a good next step as they will complement the Dwarf cards you already have from Khazad-Dum and Return to Mirkwood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Considering that you already own the Khazad-dum expansion, I would strongly recommend picking up a few of the expansion packs from the corresponding Dwarrowdelf Cycle. The ones I would recommend are The Watcher in the Water for Arwen and Elrond's Counsel as well as a few other really great cards, Foundations of Stone for Asfaloth, Glorfindel, Imladris Stargazer, and Light of Valinor, and Shadow and Flame for Elrond and Vilya. You can make some really good Spirit/Lore decks that will defeat most quests with the cards from those packs. Backing up to the Shadows of Mirkwood Cycle, Conflict at the Carrock has Frodo and Burning Brand which can both really come in handy.

To get the best feeling of adventure out of the game, I would strongly recommend picking up entire cycles of 6 adventure packs and playing those in order for the storyline, being sure to read all of the flavor text on the quest cards as you go along. It doesn't matter which cycle you start with because the storyline does not continue from one cycle to another, but the 6 adventure packs in each cycle do create a story when played in order. IIRC, the story is also related to the corresponding deluxe expansion (Core Set for the Shadows of Mirkwood Cycle, Khazad-Dum for the Dwarrowdelf Cycle).

Edit: Doh! Ninja'd. But Brendon and I think alike.
ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John85 wrote:

Fantastic link! Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bibious P
msg tools
mbmb
I just got into this game myself.
I currently have the same set up as you. One core set, Khazad Dum and Return to Mirkwood (mainly for Dain.) I just ordered Hobbit Saga part 1 expansion and should have it in hand today. I think the Dwarf synergy from these alone will help improve my quasi dwarf decks that I built.

I very greatly second the Tales from the Cards blog; the author does a tremendous job explaining sets and core concepts. His blog is a great boon for new players like us!

I also like the Progression Series podcast on youtube. The casters go through the scenarios one by one and will review player cards from each pack.

hope this helps and enjoy the game; I'm in love with it thus far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
bibious wrote:
I just got into this game myself.
I currently have the same set up as you. One core set, Khazad Dum and Return to Mirkwood (mainly for Dain.) I just ordered Hobbit Saga part 1 expansion and should have it in hand today. I think the Dwarf synergy from these alone will help improve my quasi dwarf decks that I built.

If you are looking at focusing on Dwarf decks, you should probably grab The Long Dark for Erebor Battle Master and possibly Ring Mail as well as Shadow and Flame for Hardy Leadership (especially with Dain)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Deckard
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses everyone. Some good comments here.

Regarding the hobbit cards...

Is this a completely new sphere or something else that let's you control four heroes? I'm a little confused by what I have read.

If it is a new sphere, are these expansions comming with a full decks with (like the core set did) or are they giving you a few cards at a time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys jo
msg tools
Extra Napkins wrote:
Thanks for the responses everyone. Some good comments here.

Regarding the hobbit cards...

Is this a completely new sphere or something else that let's you control four heroes? I'm a little confused by what I have read.

If it is a new sphere, are these expansions comming with a full decks with (like the core set did) or are they giving you a few cards at a time?

If you are referring to the Black Rider Saga Expansion, there will be one Hobbit heroes for each of conventional 4 spheres.

'Hobbit' is the trait of the card, not the sphere.

However, (so far) Saga Expansions come with 1 additional hero that are unqiue to that Expansion only.
For the Hobbit Saga Expansion, this was Bilbo Baggins, who belonged in his own sphere (Baggins Sphere) and for Black Rider Saga Expansion this is Frodo Baggins, who also belongs to his own sphere (Ringbearer Sphere).

These unqiue Saga Expansion heroe's spheres only have 1 card (3 copies) per Saga Expansion (so 3 copies of 2 Baggins Sphere Cards and 3 copies of 1 Ring-Bearer Sphere), but resources from these heroes are used for quest mechanics during respective Saga Expansion.

As for controlling 4 heroes, these unique Saga Expansion heroes does not count towards hero limit and always belongs to first player (moves around table with First Player Token), so if you are playing solo game you would always have control of this 4th hero who does not count toward your hero count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Deckard
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. Thanks for clearing that up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Deckard
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone for the advice. I picked up Watcher in the Water, Foundations of Stone, and Shadow and Flame.
(I also own the Khaza-dum expansion, and return to Mirkwood AP)

I sleeved all of the new cards tonight and I am really excited to play these. They (FF) are really cultivating some different deck building options.

The one downside I've noticed is that this leaves me with only the core tactics heroes, though I'm up to 6 lore heroes, and five spirit.

Looking forward to the Isengard expansion....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.