Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » General

Subject: Why Quarterstaff? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would you take a quarterstaff over a mace?

Is there any reason other than Ezren, the wizard should be carrying a quarterstaff?

The mace is statistically better...yet I still find myself putting the quarterstaff in Ezren's deck....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
I made this choice last night... I took the mace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremie Miller
msg tools
Some people have visions for their characters (my version of Amiri only uses two handed weapons, so the staff is her only choice for a blunt) so that may be one reason.

If you don't have a blunt weapon but find it as a boon then it gives you a blunt weapon till you find something better.

It is an iconic wizard item as you mentioned so maybe they felt it had to be there to fit the theme.

Those are a few I can think of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calthaer the Bard
Turks and Caicos Islands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't know what other cards might be coming up in future expansion packs, or even in future base sets. It could very well be that there will be spells, blessings, or other items that can be used in tandem with a quarterstaff that make it a decent choice. For instance: what if, in a future base set, we see a character with Craft who can take a quarterstaff + an item that is a raw material (say, mithral) and, with these two things together, make a "mithral quarterstaff?" This might assume that there is possibly another set of items called "crafted items" which aren't accessible during regular play, or perhaps this crafting thing would just be to get elite / veteran cards into your deck sooner.

Loads of options here; I'm sure they'll think of some use for it eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Shaw
United States
Swoyersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there enough maces if in a three player game one player has the cleric another the fighter and the third Ezran?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The game comes with 3 maces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
The game comes with 3 maces.

The pepper spray is a better weapon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Calthaer wrote:
We don't know what other cards might be coming up in future expansion packs, or even in future base sets. It could very well be that there will be spells, blessings, or other items that can be used in tandem with a quarterstaff that make it a decent choice. For instance: what if, in a future base set, we see a character with Craft who can take a quarterstaff + an item that is a raw material (say, mithral) and, with these two things together, make a "mithral quarterstaff?" This might assume that there is possibly another set of items called "crafted items" which aren't accessible during regular play, or perhaps this crafting thing would just be to get elite / veteran cards into your deck sooner.

A crafting addon would be siiiiiiiick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quijanoth
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Calthaer wrote:

This is absolutely brilliant. I mean, brilliant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They put Quarterstaff in because it was part of the weapons selection. Then somewhere along the game development they dropped the whole weapons proficiency idea and everyone suddenly could use everything.

So the quaterstaff lost any appeal it could have had, wich is limited to : only weapon avaliable to some class.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The weapon proficiency wasn't dropped, (and works pretty much the same was as it does in normal RPGs). Anyone can pick up any normal weapon and use it, but if the weapon requires specific training or skill to use, then you'll have penalties in doing so. There are some weapons in PACG that require proficiency or you gain penalties for its use.

As far as the QS vs Mace thing:

Remember, with the character add-on deck, it is prepared for up to 6 current character decks to be built. Without it, there's still 4.

So let us say you have 4 characters starting. They all can't choose the Mace. If you have 6 characters starting, they definitely all can't choose the mace.

That being said, there may be effects in the future that adjust or modify the use of specific weapon types or that affect certain traits, like the two-handed, etc. So as someone said, it may be more ideal to use the QS than the mace in some instances.

Also, even though this isn't an RPG, some people still like to flavor the character a specific way (as someone mentioned above) and having weapon options that allow that to happen make it easier and more thematic feeling for those players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calthaer the Bard
Turks and Caicos Islands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
A crafting addon would be siiiiiiiick.

Not only that, but it might do a lot to freshen up the game and give some alternate sort of victory conditions. What if the point of a scenario wasn't to corner and defeat a villain, but to gather sufficient resource / material-type items together and play the cards in a series of checks to "construct" a stronghold or barricade a town against an invasion? Maybe defeating a villain / henchman would almost be beside the point...could speed up the material-gathering process if defeated and hinder it if undefeated.

I really feel like people just aren't seeing the forest through the trees here with some of the complaints about the game...there's really a bit of a blue ocean out there for this product, it's so differentiated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.