Hide
5 Posts

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game – Daybreak Expansion» Forums » Variants

Subject: House-rules For Lee? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Elf Wizard
msg tools
I played a game of this and it was a good experience, but President Lee was almost never able to make use of his special since he rarely drew XOs. Obviously including the (worthwhile) expansion cards dilutes the green deck considerably. Green is also the most diluted card (except maybe purple.) in the game by characters' skill card draws. Of all non Cylon Leaders in all expansions, only two of them don't draw any green: Boomer and Lampkin (also a Political Leader).

Compare that to yellow. Only two Military Leaders (Gaeta and New Zarek) and none of the Pilots (excluding Apollo, who is incompatible with Lee anyway.) draw yellow. Other than that, only Political Leaders and most Support (excluding Dee.) draw yellow.

Granted, other characters' draws mainly come into play when they horde the cards, which would cause interesting interactions regardless of possible house-rules.

My idea is to let Lee activate his location after he plays an XO or a Consolidate Power. This will let him have a truly flexible card draw instead of constantly fishing for green. It doesn't seem unbalanced either (apart from Consolidates feeding his XO and CP stockpiles), since however much he fishes for one color reduces his chances with the other.

This would also enable Cylon Lee to not have to XO the humans quite so often and still have an ability to use.

He could use the help, and Doc and Ellen can't always be counted on to be in the game and friendly with him. To be fair, he's already a decent character and on par with some others. It simply seems disappointing to see him not as effective in action.

Another possibility is extending his special to activating his location or performing a space action (to not keep him grounded the whole game.)

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elf Wizard 87 wrote:
I played a game of this and it was a good experience, but President Lee was almost never able to make use of his special since he rarely drew XOs. Obviously including the (worthwhile) expansion cards dilutes the green deck considerably. Green is also the most diluted card (except maybe purple.) in the game by characters' skill card draws. Of all non Cylon Leaders in all expansions, only two of them don't draw any green: Boomer and Lampkin (also a Political Leader).

Compare that to yellow. Only one Military Leader (Gaeta) and none of the Pilots (excluding Apollo, who is incompatible with Lee anyway.) draw yellow. Other than that, only Political Leaders and most Support (excluding Dee.) draw yellow.

Granted, other characters' draws mainly come into play when they horde the cards, which would cause interesting interactions regardless of possible house-rules.

My idea is to let Lee activate his location after he plays an XO or a Consolidate Power. This will let him have a truly flexible card draw instead of constantly fishing for green. It doesn't seem unbalanced either (apart from Consolidates feeding his XO and CP stockpiles), since however much he fishes for one color reduces his chances with the other.

This would also enable Cylon Lee to not have to XO the humans quite so often and still have an ability to use.

He could use the help, and Doc and Ellen can't always be counted on to be in the game and friendly with him. To be fair, he's already a decent character and on par with some others. It simply seems disappointing to see him not as effective in action.

Another possibility is extending his special to activating his location or performing a space action (to not keep him grounded the whole game.)

Thoughts?
Haven't had a chance to see "Newpollo"/"Nupollo" in action yet. However, he still seems to be a good character as is. In fact, I'd say that all the base game's 1s getting diluted is the least that can be done to keep him from being "too useful". Another poster mentioned how drawing red is actually a liability in some cases, on account that those 1 of those reds could've been an extra yellow or green. That seems to be his MO....

does he want the Politics for better skill check stuff or greens for the XO. Does he want to go into space to do piloting stuff, or stay on board to better use his special?

He's still better off than characters like Cally or Adama whose specials may get used EVEN LESS since they're at the mercy of skill checks on crisis cards (Cally less so).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Elf Wizard 87 wrote:
Of all non Cylon Leaders in all expansions, only two of them don't draw any green: Boomer and Lampkin (also a Political Leader).

Cottle also doesn't draw green (without taking an Action).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JasX X
United Kingdom
London, UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've played as lee, had no trouble with getting XOs. Yes he needs to draw more green but green come up fairly frequently in skill checks. He's powerful enough as it is

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mooseulie Ferenczy
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've played 3 games and each time Lee was in play. The only time he wasn't too powerful was the one time he wasn't president and he had problems finding spaces to be. I think New Lee works fine as is, even if he is forced to fish for green.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.