Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone familiar with the older edition (pictured here) and the newer edition provide some guidance as to whether I should consider getting a copy of the older edition? Also, why is the box so much smaller? Are the component smaller in the older edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
The pieces are a bit smaller and have less detail (as you can see in the gallery), but are very good, beautiful and playable. I got the old version because I hate ridiculously big boxes, the old one is the perfect size.

The only drawback is that most of the old versions available are in German, and the cards were not language independent. I chose to make a set inspired by the new cards, using symbols:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/73826/cards-with-symbols-f...

Now I have the best of each version!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Ryder
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the original edition in English and have never felt compelled to "upgrade" to the newer edition. If you have an opportunity to get the older, smaller edition the I'd say go for it. Big boxes are a PITA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hawkins
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the few reasons for which you would want to get the larger box is if you are piecing together the "Mask Trilogy" (i.e., Tikal, Java, Mexica) + the illegitimate 4th (i.e., Torres) and want the boxes to all be the same size. Otherwise, the size of your box shouldn't affect your enjoyment of the game (as mentioned above).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.