Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henning D.
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you played with a subset of the tiles, say leave out Odin, Loki or Valkyrie? Have you played with reduced numbers of a certain tile types, for example with only 6 instead of the 9 Skadi? What is your experience with playing a certain subset?

I think that Scott Caputo, the designer of the game, tested this game thoroughly and came to the current numbers of tiles and these sets of tile types. I guess there are decks of tiles that play well and others don't, and there are certain minimum and maximum limits regarding the number of certain tile types in a deck. What are they?

I have implemented this game at Yucata and I think of adding deck variants. I also think of a custom and random deck variant similar to the implementation of Thunderstone. To implement them I need to define number limits. E.g. it makes no sense to play with only one Valkyrie in the deck. At this online play site the number of tiles is not limited to the physical number of tiles. In theory there could be a deck consisting of 60 Valkyries.

So if you have a good variant or ideas about number limits you may post them here. If you convince me then I might implement it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning D.
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No answer yet? O.k., then I start.

I've played this game with open hand, meaning my opponent could see the tiles I had on my hand and I could see the tiles he had. I've played only one two-player game with this rule so far and I don't know how this rule plays with more players. But now I must say that I like this play option better than with hidden hand tiles. It's more tactical and less lucky.

In the game rulebook it says "Don't show the tiles in your hand to the other players." I wonder why this is the normal rule and why there is not at least the suggestion to play with open hand.

Update: This variant I have implemented at www.yucata.de
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like your open hand variant! I've played it at yucata a number of times, with 2 and 3 players, and it works very well. I can't see much of a downside vs having hidden cards...

I'd love to hear about any more variants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.