Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
My role model for his brains, calm demeanour and appetite for snacks!
mbmbmbmbmb
French Forces:
Heidelberg:
- Napoleon
- Bessieres (infantry)
- Dudinot (infantry)
- Bernadotte (infantry)
- Marmont (infantry)
- Davout (infantry)
- Soult (infantry)
- Lannes (infantry)
- Nev (infantry)
- Augereau (infantry)

Freiburg (late arriving):
- d'Hilliers (infantry)
- Nansouty (calvary)
- Klein (calvary)
- Walther (calvary)

Caldiero (late arriving):
- Massena (infantry & calvary)
- Verdier (infantry)
- St. Cyr (infantry)
- Pino (infantry)

Allied Forces:
Ulm:
- Klenau, Gottesheim, Collordedo (2), Kienmayer (2), Gyulai (2) (Austrian)

Pilsen:
- Wolfskehl (Austrian)

Munich:
- John (2) (Austrian)

Klagenfurt (late arriving):
- Bellegarde (3), Davidovich (4) (Austrian)

Austerlitz (late arriving):
- Miloradovich, Docturov, Bagration (3), Essen, Langeron, Przebyszewski, Liechtenstein, Kienmayer (3) (Russian)

Starting supply points: 2-6 in favour of Allied Forces
Battle Plans: No Napoleon 1 (4 otherwise), Allied Forces 4

Campaign Objectives:
Objectives: Heidelberg, Freiburg, Munich, Vienna, Austerlitz

Strategy:
The French Forces are to secure five objective cities, of which they begin in one at the start of the campaign. Immediately in front of them at Ulm is the main Allied Forces army which possesses substantial combat strength, while 4 of the neighbouring regions contain cities which can be reached within two turns (Nuremburg, Freiburg, Caldiero and Munich). Securing control of these cities would be critically important, since the French can secure bonus supply points for the resupply phase only by controlling 5 or more cities. While French reinforcements are scheduled to arrive in 2 of these enemy cities, the Allied Forces will receive heavy Austrian and Russian reinforcements of their own.

The approach towards Austerlitz is hampered by a mountain range between Heidelburg and Klagenfurt, at which interim enemy reinforcements will arrive midway during the campaign. This poses a threat to the cities of Caldiero and Freiburg once I have obtained control of them, as the mountain range prevents me from consolidating my forces to meet the threat.

My goal for the first few turns of the campaign is to wipe out the main Allied Forces at Ulm and secure control of the cities at Munich, Nuremburg, Freiburg and Caldiero. This would allow me to accumulate much-needed supply points during the approach to Austerlitz. The French Forces will then advance towards the two remaining objective cities at Vienna and Austerlitz in two attack groups - the primary strikeforce will be led by Napoleon towards Austerlitz, while the second group will comprise of the reinforcements from Freiburg and Caldiero which will face off against the enemy reinforcements at Klagenfurt and take Vienna.

=============================================================================================================

Oct 1, 1805 (French):

Start of campaign

I divide the French Forces into two groups:
- Group A: Napoleon is to lead Lannes, Oudinot, Bernadotte, Augereau, Soult and Davout to Ulm (36 Combat Strength);
- Group B: Bessieres is appointed as vice-commander and advances to Nuremburg with Ney and Marmont (22 CS);

Battle of Ulm (French):
I am able to add a French recruit at a cost of 2 supply points after fog of war roll modification (2-4 Supply Point ratio), which I accept with the purchase of a 5-CS cannon recruit unit which is added to Napoleon's Group A. The battle is to last 3 turns (41-39 CS). With an eye on the Allied supply point reserve, I select Raid as my Insight and am content with a 3:4 Battle Plan ratio for the duration of the battle.

I assign Davout and Lannes to absorb shock attacks while Oudinot and Bernadotte serve as the frontline attack elements.

Force deployment

Turn One:

Raid activates and nets me 3 Allied supply points (5-1 SP). I assign Grapeshot to the cannon unit, Flank to Oudinot and Engage to Bernadotte. The plan is to reduce the enemy numbers by eliminating the calvary units quickly through shock attacks or cannon fire.

To avoid overcrowding at the Enemy Approach region, I decide to assign all enemy BPs drawn to the frontline units. The Officers BP is drawn midway during this phase.

Battle Plans assigned

The frontline Allied Forces advance on the French Forces, as the Allied calvary units are brought forward from the rear (I decide to advance the enemy units with the higher activation strengths, as they are more likely to activate with Battle Plans):
Battlefield before French unit activation

As the Enemy Approach region is now filled, I change my plans and decide to eliminate the frontline units who have no place to retreat. I activate Oudinot who advances to the Enemy Front, wiping out Gyulai's infantry unit with a shock attack and scoring a Hit on Collordedo's calvary unit who is also eliminated. Bernadotte advances and scores a Hit on Collordedo's infantry to reduce it. The French cannon scores a Hit on Kienmayer's calvary unit and destroys it (41-24 CS). All other French units except Davout advance.

End of battle turn one

Turn Two:
At the start of this turn, I aim to take out/reduce two units before the Allied Unit can activate though this involves a die roll gamble. Lannes is assigned the Default March BP along with the Prepare BP to take out Collordedo's infantry unit, which will open up the pathway to an attack on Gyulai's calvary unit in the Enemy Approach area. To pre-empt the latter, I assign the Square BP to Oudinot. Flank is assigned to Bernadotte, who is to follow up with an aggressive advance into enemy territory. I draw Well Struck among the enemy BPs (OMG!)

How will the French attack plan turn out?

I roll for Lannes...and he activates! His March forward shocks Collordedo's infantry unit into defeat. Encouraged by this, Oudinot activates and knocks out Gyulai's calvary unit with his Square BP.

The Allied Forces retaliate, as Kienmayer's infantry carries out its Wedge BP, and Lannes absorbs the shock though he fails to avoid a Hit from the follow-up attack. Gottesheim finishes off Lannes with the advance phase of his Closing BP,and reduces Oudinot with a Hit (33-17 CS). Klenau's infantry advances from the rear.

I discard Bernadotte's Flank BP, and March him against Gottesheim's infantry who is shocked into a retreat. The cannon unit finishes him off, while all other French units advance (33-11 CS). The Allied Forces are routed.

Turn Three:

I intend to win the battle with not a single Allied unit left standing. Soult is called to lead the attack with a Prepare-Engage BP combination, and Bernadotte is to wipe up with his Flank BP.

BP assignment

Soult activates, advancing and reducing Kienmayer's unit as the latter retreats. The follow-up attack finishes him. Klenau's infantry makes a run for it, but is ultimately defeated by Bernadotte's Flank.

Battle of Nuremburg (French):

As the fog of war allows me to move 1 Mobile French unit to this battle (5-1 SP), I envelope the Allied defenses with the inclusion of my cannon unit from Ulm into the fold (27-9 CS).

During the resupply phase, the French receive 4 supply points which are duly spent on refitting Oudinot, purchasing Lannes' unit (assigned to Group A at Ulm) and a 1-CS infantry recruit (assigned to Group B at Nuremburg) (0-1 SP).

French Group A - 36 CS
French Group B - 28 CS

End of French turn one

Oct 1, 1805 (Allied):

After order roll modification (0-0 SP), the Allied units stationed at Munich hold while Wolfskehl advances two regions to Heidelberg (only to be enveloped during the subsequent battle) (9-3 CS).

During the resupply phase, the Allied Forces get Mobile reinforcements in almost all of their cities (2 in Vienna), while a Garrison is added to Wagram.

End of Allied turn one

Oct 15, 1805 (French):

French reinforcements arrive at Freiburg and Caldiero (25 & 15 CS respectively). As planned, these two forces will be tasked to take over the cities while Group A advances to Munich to secure the fifth city that I need to get the bonus supply points. Group B leaves the cannon unit and infantry recruit to defend Nuremburg, as the rest of the units move to Ratisbon to link up with Group A.

Battle of Munich (French):
I gain a Scout (0-0 SP) during the fog of war roll. The battle is to last for 4 turns with a starting BP ratio of 4-4. I select Engineers as my Insight, leaving me with 3 BPs to use for each round of battle. Battle strength numbers are in my favour (36-20 CS), and this advantage is furthered as the enemy Garrison and Fortification units are inflicted with a Hit each with my Insight (36-16 CS).

I assign Flank to Bernadotte, and Default March plans to the other units. Wedge and Forward are drawn for the Allied Mobile units.

Start of battle

Turn One:
John's calvary and the Line recruit advance, while John's infantry and the fortification unit fail to activate. Bernadotte opens up the offensive with the Flank maneuver, eliminating the calvary and recruit units with a shock + critical Hit which also reduces John's infantry (36-7 CS). All units except Soult's infantry advance though there is no longer any threat from the Allied Forces who are routed.

Bernadotte finishes off John's infantry with a Flank attack during the next battle turn.

Battle of Caldiero (French):
One Hit is inflicted on a random French unit during the fog of war roll (0-0 SP), which I assign to the Garrison unit in Heidelberg. This will be an easy battle if I can eliminate the calvary and reduce the Garrison units quickly before the 3 battle turns are up, though the lack of Battle Plans will pose a challenge (1-4 BP). For this battle, Massena's units will lead the charge.

I assign Flank to Massena's infantry, while the Conscript calvary unit draws Rush.

Start of battle

Turn One:

The Conscript calvary unit advances dangerously but stops short of the French Approach, while the enemy fortification inflicts a Hit on St. Cyr's infantry (23-11 CS). I advance Massena's calvary who defeats the enemy calvary unit with a March BP, and advance again. Massena's infantry discards the Flank BP and Marches as well -- all other French units advance in support of the frontline (23-9 CS).

Turn Two:

I assign Prepare to Massena's infantry who Marches onward to the Enemy Front, as I am hoping to preserve his calvary unit for the main attack. The infantry unit takes a Hit from the fortification but the Garrison misses its attack (20-9 CS). Massena's calvary advances but fails to reduce the Garrison unit. Pino's infantry fails to advance.

End of battle turn two

Turn Three:

I assign Prepare to Massena's calvary unit who takes out the Garrison unit with a critical Hit (20-4 CS), but gives up his life as he takes fire from the fortification unit (15-4 CS). His sacrifice is not in vain though, as the enemy forces are routed because of his bravery.

Battle of Freiburg (French):
I am able to select an Insight for this battle without reducing my Battle Plan quantity (1-4 BP, 15-11 CS). I select Engineers to reduce the enemy Garrison and fortification units (15-7 CS).

I assign Flank to Nansouty's calvary unit and Closing BP to the only Allied Mobile calvary unit in the battle.

BPs assigned, but the French have the advantage

Turn One:

The calvary unit advances but is destroyed subsequently by the Flank maneuver that Nansouty's calvary carries out (15-5 CS) as he takes advantage of enemy fire missing completely. This provides an opening for the French units to advance in force with no casualties. The Garrison unit is killed by the follow-up attack from Nansouty's calvary, leaving the Allied forces routed (15-2 CS).

The French get the 5 bonus points along with the base level of 4, which is used to purchase Massena's calvary and a 4-CS cannon recruit which are placed at Caldiero.

End of French turn two

Oct 15, 1805 (Allied):
Austrian reinforcements arrive at Kalgenfurt, separated as follows:
- Group A -- Davidovich's 3-CS infantry & 4-CS calvary units, and Bellegarde's 5-CS infantry
- Group B -- Davidovich's 3-CS infantry and Bellegarde's 6-CS infantry units (2x each)

Klagenfurt Allied reinforcement groupings

Somehow, the die knows it all and both groups hold at Klagenfurt. The Allied recruit at Austerlitz moves to Vienna in support of the city's defences while the original Vienna units move to Passau as they advance towards Munich.

During the resupply phase, Vienna gets infantry and calvary reinforcements, Wagram gets a cannon reinforcement while Austerlitz's defences are further strengthened with the addition of a Garrison unit (0-0 SP).

End of Allied turn two

Nov 1, 1805 (French):
With the entire Allied reinforcement group holding at Klagenfurt, the French units at Caldiero are in danger of heavily outnumbered. This also means that my initial plan to advance eastwards from Caldiero will have to be delayed until they are reinforced with the Freiburg units which join up with them. The reduced infantry units of St. Cyr and Massena head the other way to secure control of Freiburg.

In the north, Augereau is left to defend Munich as Napoleon and the main force meet up with the units that are stationed at Ratisbon. Ney from Ratisbon moves to Munich to support Augereau to defend against a possible attack by the Allied units at Passau, while the cannon unit at Nuremburg joins up with Napoleon at Ratisbon. No attack will be initiated by the French this turn, who accumulate the 9 supply points obtained through the resupply phase (9-0 SP).

End of French turn three

Nov 1, 1805 (Allied):
The Allied Forces go on the offensive, with all Mobile unit groups advancing into Salzburg (7 CS), Caldiero (30 CS) and Passau (5 CS) as they head towards French-held objectives.

Allied offensive maneuvers

Battle of Caldiero (Allied):
I do not benefit from the fog of war, which yielded the transfer of Allied supply points to the French (9-0 SP, 1-4 BP and 34-30 CS). With no enemy cannon units in this battle, I decide to let the French calvary lead the battle.

I assign Flank to Massena's calvary unit, and all enemy BPs to the units in the Allied Approach area as shown below:

BPs assigned, and the French begin the battle with a slight CS numerical advantage

Turn One:

The Allied Forces adopt a reactive strategy and advance slowly towards the French units (read: unable to activate, or BP did not allow for an advance).

Side note: This conservative approach worked really well for the Allied forces, as they had the advantage in BP ratio and would be able to attack fiercely during the next battle turn after the French forces have advanced. Because of this, Massena's calvary unit was in great danger, though he would be defeated again for the greater good of the French side.

Massena's calvary unit dutifully executed the Flank maneuver, shocking one of Davidovich's infantry units into defeat (as it had no room to retreat) and eliminating the other with a critical Hit during Melee combat (34-24 CS). The other French calvary units held their positions (i.e. advanced and retreated) while d'Hilliers' infantry advanced to e French Approach region. As Pino's infantry unit pivoted into a Line formation, the French cannon recruit unit missed with its opening shot.

End of battle turn one

Turn Two:

To maximize Massena's calvary unit's odds of survival, I issue a Prepare-Pivot order to it. The Allied units draw BPs that call for their units to advance in strength.

Start of battle turn two, with Massena's calvary unit in great danger!

With the first enemy BP executed, Massena's calvary unit gives up its life (again) (29-24 CS) as the rest of the Allied units advance successfully. The time to bury the dead will have to wait though, as I March the French Mobile infantry and calvary units with the exception of Pino's unit which fails to activate. The three remaining French calvary units advance twice, with Nansouty and Walther's units creating havoc in the Enemy Front region and soundly defeating Davidovich and Bellegarde's calvary units with a shock attack (29-15 CS). The French cannon unit scores a Hit on one of Bellegarde's infantry units and reduces it (29-12 CS), though this is still not enough to score a rout.

Turn Three:

I assign Prepare-Pivot to Nansouty's unit who will bear the brunt of the impending shock attack by the Allied Forces' rear advance, and draw Close Ranks in addition to the enemy Battle Plans.

Start of battle turn three - can the French frontline withstand the enemy's onslaught?

Bellegarde's infantry fires an Aimed shot at Walther's calvary, defeating it (25-12 CS). Nansouty's calvary survives the first Melee attack by Bellegarde's reduced infantry unit but not the supporting shock attack by Davidovich's remaining infantry unit (21-12 CS).

However, I ensure the battle ends this turn as I March d'Hilliers's infantry from the French Front region. Bellegarde's reduced infantry unit absorbs the Hit with the help of Close Ranks, and retreats a region. The other two units are not so fortunate -- as Verdier's infantry unit Marches and shocks Bellegarde's other infantry unit into a retreat (21-9 CS), Klein's calvary unit inflicts two shock Hits on the Allied Forces through its dual advance with the default March BP (21-5 CS), eliminating Bellegarde's reduced infantry unit and reducing Davidovich's sole infantry. Pino's infantry pivots, as the French cannon unit fires and scores a Hit to finish off Bellegarde's remaining unit (21-2 CS) thus achieving a rout.

Victory at the cost of 3 French calvary units

In the next turn, the remaining French calvary unit ends the battle with an Engage BP to defeat the last Allied unit.

During the resupply phase, the Allied Forces get two Garrison units at Vienna, a cannon and infantry recruit at Wagram and Austerlitz respectively.

End of Allied turn three

Nov 15, 1805 (French):

During this turn, I intend to envelope the enemy forces at Salzburg, Klagenfurt and Passau in one fell swoop. After advancing Massena's reduced infantry unit from Freiburg to Caldiero to hold the fort, the units at the latter region advance to Klagenfurt to confront the sole Allied cannon unit there (21-3 CS) . Augereau's unit remains at Munich, as Ney (in Munich), Bessieres and Lannes (Ratisbon) advance to Salzburg (21-7 CS). The rest of the French units at Ratisbon march to Passau (38-5 CS).

During the fog of war rolls, I gain a Scout, lose 2 supply points to the enemy (7-2 SP) and suffer a random Hit to my forces (assigned to the fortification unit in Heidelberg). I Force March the 3 units at Salzburg to Passau to join up with Napoleon and the main strikeforce (4-2 SP). I use up all of my supply points during the resupply phase to purchase the calvary units of Massena, Walther and Nansouty and place them with Napoleon at Passau (0-2 SP).

End of French turn four

Nov 15, 1805 (Allied):

The cannon unit at Wagram advances to Klagenfurt while the infantry recruit at Austerlitz advances twice to Nuremburg, bypassing the main French force at Passau (0-1 SP). While the enemy cannon unit is enveloped at Klagenfurt, I lose Nuremburg and a Scout along with it though I am compensated with the Allied Forces' sole supply point (1-0 SP).

The Allied resupply phase nets them 4 supply points, a calvary reinforcement at Vienna and a fortification unit at Austerlitz (1-4 SP).

End of Allied turn four

Dec 1, 1805 (French):

The moment of truth has come and two potential epic battles are to be fought, as Napoleon advances to Austerlitz while the second French attack group marches to Vienna from Klagenfurt.

Battle of Klagenfurt: (French):
An enemy infantry reinforcement is added to the battle during the fog of war roll (1-2 SP). As the battle is to last 5 rounds (21-24 CS) with a BP ratio of 1:4, I plan to advance cautiously as I wear down the enemy forces with cannon fire.

Turn One:
I assign Grapeshot to my cannon unit, and draw Officers, Closing and Aimed BPs for the enemy Mobile units.

Opening deployment of troops

The enemy units hold their positions as the sole infantry unit Closes in on the French but only to be defeated subsequently by French cannonfire. Pino's infantry takes a Hit from enemy cannon fire but advances stubbornly along with the rest of the infantry units. Klein's calvary holds its position through the March BP, and will be unleashed in the next battle turn (19-21 CS).

Turn Two:
I assign Grapeshot once more, and draw Closing for the enemy calvary unit.

Start of battle turn two

The calvary unit fails to activate though Pino's infantry is destroyed by enemy cannonfire. French cannonfire matches up and eliminates the calvary unit (17-19 CS). The other French Mobile units advance to the Enemy Front region, ready to do battle.

Turn Three:
I assign Engage to Klein's calvary unit in an all-out attack.

Start of battle turn three

The Allied units attack mercilessly but only manage to inflict one Hit on d'Hilliers' infantry unit (16-19 CS). In response, the French counterattack begins with cannon fire, reducing a Garrison unit. d'Hilliers and Verdier's infantry units advance but fail to cause further damage through shock attacks. Klein's Engage maneuver removes the reduced Garrison unit but completely misses its Melee attack (at a 8/6 roll!) (16-14 CS). The Allied Forces would live to fight another turn.

Turn Four:
I assign Prepare to Klein's calvary unit in an attempt to cause maximum damage.

The battle wears down to one of attrition

Klein's calvary inflicts one Hit on an enemy Garrison unit, but d'Hilliers' infantry is defeated while Verdier's infantry is reduced. Enemy cannon fire misses its French opposite which misses as well. Verdier's counterattack misses too (11-12 CS).

The withdrawal roll results in an Enemy Retreat, yielding me control of Vienna (I spend a few seconds thanking my lucky stars here!)

Battle of Austerlitz (French):

It is time to resolve the battle of the campaign, which pits Napoleon's forces against the massive Russian reinforcements and static defences (72-80 CS). During the fog of war roll, 2 Allied supply points are transferred to the French which I duly use to purchase an additional BP (1-0 SP). I select Engineers and Morale for the 5-turn battle (3-4 BP) and ensure that the battle begins on even ground (72-72 CS).

Turn One:

I assign Flank and Charge to my frontline calvary units, and Grapeshot to my cannon unit. The Allied Veteran forces are assigned Rush, Wedge and Aimed BPs.

The battle begins

The Allied units advance in force, supported by cannonfire from the fortification units which utterly decimates Oudinot's infantry unit (67-72 CS).

The battlefield after the Allied advance

I activate Massena's calvary and its Charge BP, destroying Essen's infantry and Bagration's calvary with the dual advance. I score a critical hit with his attack in Melee combat, further destroying Przebyszewski's infantry which is next in line on the Enemy Front region (67-56 CS). Walther's calvary follows up with its Flank BP, eliminating Langeron's infantry and scoring a critical Hit to remove both of Kienmayer's calvary units which had advanced from the rear (67-41 CS). Nansouty's calvary advanced two steps to the French Front, while the other infantry units (except Ney and Lannes' units) March forward. The French cannon misses entirely, though it doesn't seem to matter in the wake of destruction created by the frontline's opening attack!

State of battle with the Allied frontline taken out

Turn Two:

I assign Prepare to Bessieres' infantry to move him and act as a shield for the frontline calvary units who are now vulnerable to enemy counterattack. Charge is assigned to Nansouty's calvary, while Engage is assigned to Massena's calvary. I draw Aimed, Closing, Wedge and Assault BPs in addition to Officers for the Allied forces.

BPs assigned yet again

Bessieres' unit advances in time to meet Docturov's Assault, and successfully avoids its attack completely. However, Miloradovich's Wedge attack scores a critical Hit and eliminates it (58-41 CS). The enemy Garrison units fail to follow up with a successive hit on Walther and Massena's calvary units. Bagration's calvary and the enemy fortifications miss their attacks, while the other Mobile units advance.

Round two

I fail to activate Walther's Fire BP, thereby forcing me to replace Massena's BP with a Melee attack which scores a critical Hit on Docturov's infantry and destroys it (58-35 CS). Nansouty's calvary charges twice, reducing Miloradovich's infantry and killing a Garrison unit with some help from the Morale Insight (58-30 CS). The French cannon picks off one of the enemy fortifications (58-28 CS).

End of battle turn two

Turn Three:

I am prepared to absorb the initial Allied attacks with my calvary units, and counter with my infantry reinforcements which are slowly but surely marching towards the front. However, things look pretty bleak when I draw Officers and Close Ranks for the Allied Forces, along with Aimed, Wedge, Melee and Forward BPs.

Side note: I came to a realization that my forces were not in a good place after drawing and assigning the Allied BPs. My BP assignment would probably have done well in the face of a static enemy force deployment, but not against an enemy force that would be activated ahead of the French. I was going to pay for this big time.

French units in danger

Resolving the enemy BPs from front to back & left to right:

1) The Allied units in the Enemy Approach region get lucky:
- Bagration's calvary somehow manages to inflict only one(!) Hit on Nansouty's unit against an attack roll of 12/9 from its Aimed attack, but which is enough to finish the latter off (54-28 CS);
- Miloradovich's reduced infantry unit activates its Combat BP, but misses its attack;
- Liechenstein's unit carries out its Wedge BP, shocking Walther's calvary into defeat (50-28 CS), and scoring a critical Hit on Massena's calvary and infantry (42-28 CS);
- Kienmayer's unit executes its Forward BP but misses its attack;

2) Not so for the units in the Enemy Reserve region:
- Bagration's infantry executes its Melee BP and changes formation, but does no damage whatsoever; and,
- The enemy fortification misses its shot;

Aftermath of the Allied onslaught

It's the French side's turn to respond. Soult Marches and shocks Kienmayer's infantry into retreat, though Close Ranks negates the hit. Davout's March shocks Liechenstein's infantry into a retreat, while Bernadotte's unit Flanks and decimates the Garrison unit and Miloradovich's infantry in the Enemy Approach region (42-20 CS). The other French units March while the French cannon provides covering fire, but to no effect.

The advantage swings back to the French side.

Turn Four:

This is a turn of pre-emptive attack. I assign Prepare-Flank to Ney's infantry, and Square to Bernadotte's unit. For the Allied side, I draw Close Ranks again in addition to some really hard-hitting BPs.

As the epic battle draws to a close...

I execute Square and inflict a hit on Bagration's Veteran calvary unit, negating Close Ranks. Ney's unit advances twice through Flank and eliminates Liechenstein's reduced infantry but fails to inflict further damage (42-18 CS). Bagration's calvary discards its Forward BP but scores only one Hit against Ney's infantry (39-18 CS), and Kienmayer's infantry misses its Melee attack. Bagration's infantry in the Reserve region finishes off Ney's unit, and the fortification scores a Hit on Soult's reduced unit to add on to the French list of casualties (32-18 CS). The French infantry units of Marmont and Davout March a region to shock Kienmayer's infantry into further retreat while Bagration's calvary is destroyed (32-10 CS). Lannes's infantry Marches while the French cannon blows up the enemy fortification (32-8 CS).

The enemy forces are routed, but I'm aiming for a complete victory here and the French don't let up.

Time to clean up

Turn Five:

I assign Prepare-Engage to Davout's infantry, who shocks Kienmayer's unit but fails to completely destroy Bagration's Veteran infantry and the latter successfully retreats to Wagram, though it is unable to prevent the French from declaring a Historical victory.

End state

Edited for typos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Chipman
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
Excellent report as always. I'm really liking the style.

One quick note, in the last battle you mention that

Quote:
Bagration's infantry in the Reserve region finishes off Ney's unit

However, the rules on p10 state

Quote:
Enemy Infantry and Cavalry cannot attack when they are in their own Reserve Region.

This is a rule I overlooked myself during the first few games of the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Donnelly
Canada
Unspecified
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very well done, but may I add a bit of horse manoeuvre: it's "cavalry", not "calvary".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Thomas. That's a rule that I had difficulty grappling with, not only here but in a previous campaign session blush

Bagration's infantry had attacked Ney under a Battle Plan that was assigned to it. Given this rule, the unit should have discarded the Aimed BP and advance out of the Reserve region. On the other hand, the rulebook states that the BP is only discarded when the unit is in Melee. In any case, I played Bagration's turn the way I did as Aimed was too good an attack BP for the Allied side to waste. This rule may also mean Enemy Forces will be sitting ducks if there are French Forces in Melee with them in the same regions and they cannot do anything apart from Retreat (which doesn't make sense to me since they are not routed and can still fight), or Advance (which they can't in Melee)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunray11 wrote:
Very well done, but may I add a bit of horse manoeuvre: it's "cavalry", not "calvary".

Duh! That teaches me not to trust the auto-correct function too easily in the future angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spartan Spartan
msg tools
This is so helpful to a new player so thx for doing it.
One question in turn two in first battle you use a prepare battle plan but seem to use it for 2 French units. I'm reading that the prepare bp only applies to the single unit it is placed on. Did I pick this up wrongly?
Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Chipman
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
Spartan07 wrote:
This is so helpful to a new player so thx for doing it.
One question in turn two in first battle you use a prepare battle plan but seem to use it for 2 French units. I'm reading that the prepare bp only applies to the single unit it is placed on. Did I pick this up wrongly?
Mike

The OP assigned the Square BP to Oudinot, which allows Oudinot to attack a cavalry unit before the enemy turn. Using these two battle plans, you can have two of your forces acting before the enemy turn: 1 from the Prepare BP and one from the Square BP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spartan Spartan
msg tools
Thanks see that now.
Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Chipman
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
Ratio wrote:
Bagration's infantry had attacked Ney under a Battle Plan that was assigned to it. Given this rule, the unit should have discarded the Aimed BP and advance out of the Reserve region. On the other hand, the rulebook states that the BP is only discarded when the unit is in Melee. In any case, I played Bagration's turn the way I did as Aimed was too good an attack BP for the Allied side to waste.

Having played another scenario tonight and rereading through some of the threads here and at CSW, I think you were right to play it this way. Although the unit would normally not been able to attack, the battleplan assigned to it lets it break that rule.

Ratio wrote:
This rule may also mean Enemy Forces will be sitting ducks if there are French Forces in Melee with them in the same regions and they cannot do anything apart from Retreat (which doesn't make sense to me since they are not routed and can still fight), or Advance (which they can't in Melee)

I'm curious how Dan would rule in that situation. The rules say on pg13 that a unit should always perform the default "combat" battle plan when in melee, but then says that infantry/cavalry can't attack when in their own reserve regions. Is melee then an exception to this rule?

What about the situation where the unit in reserve is not in melee, but has an adjacent opposing unit in its approach region. For example, in the scenario I'm currently playing, there are only two allied forces left on the map, both in their reserve area. One had been assigned a battle plan, which it failed to activate. However, if it had activated I would have ruled that it would be allowed to execute its plan against the adjacent French unit in its approach area. The second unit was stuck with a default battle plan... but which one should it use? Normally, it would attack because there is a unit at range 1. However, per the rules it can't attack. Advance might make sense, but a unit is only supposed to advance if the nearest opposing units are 2 or more areas away. Does it retreat instead or does it simply do nothing at all? At the end of this battle round, the two remaining allied forces will fail the route check, so what this particular unit does now won't be win the allies the battle, but it could potentially deliver a parting blow that might affect the rest of the campaign.

I'm wondering if I should start a new thread for cases where units are in their reserve areas. I'd love to get an official answer from Dan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nunyabisnas wrote:

What about the situation where the unit in reserve is not in melee, but has an adjacent opposing unit in its approach region. For example, in the scenario I'm currently playing, there are only two allied forces left on the map, both in their reserve area. One had been assigned a battle plan, which it failed to activate. However, if it had activated I would have ruled that it would be allowed to execute its plan against the adjacent French unit in its approach area. The second unit was stuck with a default battle plan... but which one should it use? Normally, it would attack because there is a unit at range 1. However, per the rules it can't attack. Advance might make sense, but a unit is only supposed to advance if the nearest opposing units are 2 or more areas away. Does it retreat instead or does it simply do nothing at all? At the end of this battle round, the two remaining allied forces will fail the route check, so what this particular unit does now won't be win the allies the battle, but it could potentially deliver a parting blow that might affect the rest of the campaign.

I had played it the way I would have if the French forces were in that predicament:

- Given that my units in the Reserve (or Approach) region would automatically fail enemy shock attacks, there is an added incentive to bring the fight to the enemy by advancing so that this disadvantage is negated;
- if there were friendly cannon/fortification units in the Reserve region, these wouldn't be able to fire once they are in Melee so the frontline would have to create as much distance as they can between them and the enemy units by advancing. A Battle BP could still be used as long as it allows for an advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just playing my first game of FC:N and chose 1805 because I wanted to have some Russians in the mix. I'm getting bogged down by not going for Nuremburg right away for 5th supply city and the strong Allied reinforcements. One thing I noticed in this session report is that no destroyed Allied forces ever seemed to come back as reinforcements, always recruits? In my game I seem to always get the non-recruits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.