Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Stubner
United States
Englewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I didn’t think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows -- Bart Simpson
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the Allies, Tim Comfort the Germans. It was my second game and I think Tim's first game. We both had the simple rules under our belt. There was very little rules referencing during play.

(Please forgive my spelling, I don't have the map infront of me)

I used the free set up. I dropped the Brits in the usual spot by Arnhem, the 101st just north(?) of Einhoven and the the 82nd just north(?) of Nijmegan. Barring really bad luck I figured that placement of the 82nd assured that I would hold Arnhem for the game but also assure they would be contained to the very small area between the rivers of Arnhem and Nijmegan. Sure enough this was the case and road duty was left to the 101st and re-enforcements.

The first turn had Arnhem fall in the first bonus impulse. The Germans holed up in Einhoven. The siege of Einhoven started shortly there after. Einhoven held longer than expected. The fall of Einhoven didn't happen until the fifth day (maybe late in the fourth). I was starting to to get very nervous that it was taking too long for the German replacements were arriving.

The 82nd and Brits tried one assualt on Nijmegan but it was futile. They were going to need the armor.

Once Einhoven fell, things happened more quickly for a short time. The Allies rolled up the road to Nijmegan in short order. Then the real siege started. The Germans stood unbelievably stubborn in the city, swapping in and out fresh troops as needed. Slowly the Allies became more and more brittle. The middle third of the road was under attack at several points. These little road emergencies kept drawing Allied troops back to hold the road. If the road got cut, game over for the Allies. It held by a thread so that Nijemgan could havge a chance to fall on the very last roll on the third impulse of the 9th turn and just like Monty had planned, it fell.

Some mistakes made were that the Allies allowed the Duck Boats of the XXX corp get out of position chasing around Germans. They actually moved out of supply for a short time. This delaying action let the road become a precarious situation a little too early. On the German side, they probably kept their armor around Arnhem one turn too long. They made an off board dash to relieve Nijmagen which was halted by the XXX corp just in time. If those mech units had moved to the middle third of the road, if was likely they would have cut it and the Allies would have been forced to concede.

It was a very tight, nail biting ending, enjoyed by both sides. The game took about 2 hours.

Pete S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious. In the first game you played, did the Allies also win?

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Stubner
United States
Englewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I didn’t think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows -- Bart Simpson
mbmbmbmbmb
I solo'ed one game and played a live opponent in another. Both times I used the historical Allied set-up. The Germans won each rather easily. I found that if Arnhem falls back into German control and it gets fortified with strong units it will not be retaken. Also in the historical set up it is difficult to get the paratroop divisions to support each other.

Even with free set up, it is difficult to get mutual paratroop support, some part of the road will suffer. I think an experienced German player will win 4 out of 5 times. That is just a guess, more playings will tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fury wrote:
Even with free set up, it is difficult to get mutual paratroop support, some part of the road will suffer. I think an experienced German player will win 4 out of 5 times. That is just a guess, more playings will tell.

Good analysis, Peter. At least it matches my own, so I'm pre-disposed to think it's good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sample
United States
Pelham
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Bright, brilliant colors are to be seen everywhere, the stones and pigments undimmed by the passage of decades. The floor of the corridor is a colorful mosaic of stone, with a distinct, winding path of red tiles about 2' wide.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played this one solo several times and I have yet to see the Germans lose. They just seem to be able to keep a strangle hold on Arnhem. With or without the road clear, the Germans using a defensive stance, especially with all those reinforecements in turn 7, just seem not to give up Arnhem.

Granted, my allied rolls always seem to be sixes, but, what the hey?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.