Nikos II
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When more than one Encounter Card is revealed, when does the response window close?

For three player, Encounter Deck reveals (in this order) ...
1. Location
2. Enemy
3. Treachery

You have Strider's Path in your hand. Which of the following is true:

A. You must play Strider's Path on the first Location immedately after it is revealed (i.e. between Encounter Cards #1 and #2).

B, You can play Strider's Path on the first Location after all three encounter cards are revealed (i.e. response window for Encounter Card #1 is still active).

(This is somewhat similar to the other thread about responses ... does the revealing of another encounter card close the previous encounter card's response window?)

Edit: Sorry, Strength of Will was a bad example. Replacing with Strider's Path so that the example actually makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Multiple Encounter Cards: Response Window Width
Traekos77 wrote:
When more than one Encounter Card is revealed, when does the response window close?

For three player, Encounter Deck reveals (in this order) ...
1. Location
2. Enemy
3. Treachery

You have Strength of Will in your hand. Which of the following is true:

A. You must play Strength of Will on the first Location immedately after it is revealed (i.e. between Encounter Cards #1 and #2).

B, You can play Strength of Will on the first Location after all three encounter cards are revealed (i.e. response window for Encounter Card #1 is still active).

(This is somewhat similar to the other thread about responses ... does the revealing of another encounter card close the previous encounter card's response window?)

Neither. You play Strength of Will when you travel to a location, which happens during the Travel phase, not the Quest phase.

But to answer the question you're getting at: if the card you want to play is a Response to a location being revealed from the encounter deck, then the answer is A.

If the card you want to play is an Action, you need to wait until all three cards are revealed and the action window opens (i.e., the Response window for "a location being revealed" closes as soon as the second card is revealed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb Ulon

Oxford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Andy pointed out, Strength of Will Response can be played "After you travel", which occurs during the Travel phase.

I think you must refer to the question I had here, and for which Caleb gave an official answer: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1032810/can-you-play-a-respo....

Caleb said you can play Strength of Will after you draw it because of the same "After you travel" trigger. But note I drew it After I travelled to the Forest Gate, not after I revealed it in the staging area. This means that the window extends until you advance in the game sequence (playing an Action, a new phase begins, etc).

Does that answer your question?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To the new question re strider's path, I believe A, you have to play it immediately, the response window closes once you reveal another card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb Ulon

Oxford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Nate said that "all responses are played and resolved before moving on to the next response". So I guess you have to interrupt staging to do the response before having a new card that could have a new response trigger, so A.

That is an interesting case you could ask to Caleb too via http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_faq.asp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos II
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did get a reply from Caleb (bolding and italics were added by me!) ...

Hi,

Because the Response on Strider's Path reads "After a location is revealed from the encounter deck..." you would have to play it after the location you want to travel to is revealed. If you wait until another card is revealed, then you have missed the opportunity to trigger the Response.

So in your example, you would need to play it after encounter card #1 and before #2. If you waited until after #3, then you would be responding to a treachery card just revealed, which is not a legal target for Strider's Path.

Cheers,
Caleb

So I'd call that confirmation that each Encounter Card that is revealed closes the response window of the previous Encounter Card. Which I suppose means that the person revealing cards from the Encounter Deck should be careful to reveal them one at a time with a reasonable gap/pause between each card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.