Subject: Using transparency film to catch Jack rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Hunt
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
We all know that keeping good notes of clues etc is critical to helping catch Jack.

Initially I printed out many copies of the clear map shown here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/66909/a-more-clear-map...

But quickly found that my notes from each round would mix with each other... I didn't like the idea of using 4 sheets per game, so that is when my friend came up with the fantastic idea of using transparent film and wet erase markers over a print out of the map above.

We bough 100 sheets from Amazon for approx $18:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GXD2A0/ref=oh_details_o...

I wish they sold them in packs of 10, as we should only ever need 4 anyway.

You simply overlay 1 sheet over the clear map for each night.

It works really well, and should help in the quest to catch Jack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Amick
United States
Grand Island
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
"Too late, you took your finger off the piece..."
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! This is great. It almost feels like cheating but we're already making exhaustive notes in a notebook. And why wouldn't any good investigator use every resource available? I'm going to test the waters with my gaming group on the print map first and see what they think.

Another suggestion is to use the clear binder sleeves and Vis-a-vis markers.

http://www.amazon.com/Avery-Recycled-Polypropylene-Protector...

Slide your map in and run with it. It looks like it's about half the cost of the overhead sheets and your paper copy is protected as well.

Just adding to the conversation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice.

We've laminated 5 copies of the map, and we use dry erase markers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Jensen
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use some clear vinyl I purchased from a fabric store; a large sheet (60" x 48", I think) was only ~$5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Hunt
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
These are all great suggestions. The advantage of my original recommendation is you can overlay each night individually to see everything at once.

If you use just one map, you have to have a way to separate each night on the same map (different colored markers help)... but it still gets messy and confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
largelylegit wrote:
These are all great suggestions. The advantage of my original recommendation is you can overlay each night individually to see everything at once.

Good point!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm FREEeeee..ee..e..e...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've considered how cool it would look (and be useful) to have clue disks of multiple colors - one color for each round - and leave them on the board instead of removing them. haven't gone to the effort of finding said transparent disks though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chuckhazard wrote:
I've considered how cool it would look (and be useful) to have clue disks of multiple colors - one color for each round - and leave them on the board instead of removing them. haven't gone to the effort of finding said transparent disks though.

Yeah, but disks alone won't record all of the information given during a game. The timing of that disk as well as the location of all the detectives are both equally as important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan King (The Game Boy Geek)
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used a map similar to yours. I printed it out and had it laminated at Staples. Then I just use different color dry erase marker for each night. That works just as well without the extra sheets and overlaying them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Hunt
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
dkingnu wrote:
I used a map similar to yours. I printed it out and had it laminated at Staples. Then I just use different color dry erase marker for each night. That works just as well without the extra sheets and overlaying them.

That works, not as well... what happens if you are making notes on a space that has been filled in from a previous night? Gets messy fast.

It is certainly a more than adequate solution, I would disagree with "works just as well" though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm FREEeeee..ee..e..e...
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
chuckhazard wrote:

Yeah, but disks alone won't record all of the information given during a game. The timing of that disk as well as the location of all the detectives are both equally as important.

This is true but we in our group we don't really care to make detailed notes - visualizing where jack has been on previous nights is really about all we're interested in, at this point at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dean, I simply circle the colored in spot (from the previous night) with that nights color.It seems to be clear enough for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Hunt
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Understood, thanks for clarifying.

You are clearly more organized than me... my sheet quickly became a complete mess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if it's a mess, then that's a good problem to have! It means you're getting lots of clues! Jack is on his way to jail!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always save money and fun, by just asking Jack where he is on the board at any given time....................................

Spoiler (click to reveal)
.................. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xpiredsodapop wrote:
You could always save money and fun, by just asking Jack where he is on the board at any given time ........................................................................................

Spoiler (click to reveal)
........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ shake

?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're needing to use all these tools to help you catch Jack, just flat out ask him where he is...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xpiredsodapop wrote:
If you're needing to use all these tools to help you catch Jack, just flat out ask him where he is...

In my experience, a decent Jack will easily outmaneuver any team of Investigators without any notes or variants. Jack just has too many tricks up his sleeve, and it's impossible to track all of that information. Even with everything mapped out, Jack still has an advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
Could always setup a War Room or Situation Room like Wolf Blitzer on CNN trying to track Jack's movements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xpiredsodapop wrote:
Could always setup a War Room or Situation Room like Wolf Blitzer on CNN trying to track Jack's movements.

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As an example, here is an image if a clue is found at 84, and Jack uses a single move and a coach. Jack could end up in over 1/3 of the possible map locations, so tracking some of the information is critical for investigators (assuming Jack is decent):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Quirken
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Transparency film sounds like a great idea. I ordered some transparency paper; I'm going to print directly on them with my laser-jet, but it should be trivial to overlay them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.