Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh "Der Spieler" Spillers
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.gamingreport.com/gallery/v/gamatradeshows/gts2006...

The figures and map look great! The map apparently utilizes satellite imagery, which is a nice touch. Color me excited!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great pictures! Thanks for sharing.

Anxiously awaiting release!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that map totally turns me off.

Tactical scale figures and a strategic scale map? Not at all what I was hoping for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Well, that map totally turns me off.

Tactical scale figures and a strategic scale map? Not at all what I was hoping for.

But it has Marvel minis ... and they're not clicky.

But seriously, what is with the strategic scale map? It doesn't make much sense to me, either.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But aren't there little figures like that in lots of games (e.g. WotR)? People like having little minis for their characters, but that doesn't make it a miniatures game. If it's a strategy game the scale of the map is perfectly reasonable.

Right?

To be honest, reading these comments I at first thought it would be a world map or something. I was kind of surprised it was just one city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stephenhope wrote:
To be honest, reading these comments I at first thought it would be a world map or something. I was kind of surprised it was just one city.

In the Marvel universe, just about everything seems to take place in New York.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stephenhope wrote:
But aren't there little figures like that in lots of games (e.g. WotR)? People like having little minis for their characters, but that doesn't make it a miniatures game. If it's a strategy game the scale of the map is perfectly reasonable.

It may be a strategy game, but strategy games do have scales -- tactical, operational, strategic. When one piece equals one person/character, then you're talking about a tactical scale. In this case, that would maybe suggest using a city block or two for some superhero slugfests. The map is clearly a strategic scale. It appears to be a good portion of New York, with individual units fitting into 'burbs. It's just a very odd choice.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where's Dazzler!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree. With the original poster, that is.

The map and figures do absolutely nothing for me. There's no appeal there, at all. Not even a little bit. And I like the license.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Hall
United States
Lake Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So what exactly happened to the "Modular Board?" Since the earliest press release Marvel Heroes has been marketed as-
"Beginning in Manhattan and moving on into major locations like Latveria, Atlantis, and the dreadful Negative Zone, each player controls one super-hero, while at the same time controlling an evil Mastermind like Dr. Doom or Magneto as they plot to conquer or destroy."

This suggest either multiple boards or we are seeing a working model. Perhaps if there are these strategic boards there are tactial boards too? Any other thoughts or insights?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's pretty obvious from this pic...

... that it's a prototype board. Look at the 6 5 4 in the lower right, the white boxes on the left.

That said, I sure do think it's tacky when the name of the game is printed on the board (upper right).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy crap! On one hand, those miniatures look AWESOME.

But the map...that's HIDEOUS. Not only from the point of view that it's ridiculously abstracted, but also, it's just UGLY. We're talking Blood Feud in New York-board ugly here. (Hey, I'm a fan of BFNY, but that board is not too attractive).

Between this and the stellar decision to make Mutant Chronicles collectible, Fantasy Flight Games may be on a quest to save me some money this year.

But those minis...now I gotta give credit, those are gorgeous. Just as attractive as any of the Heroclix minis, in fact probably moreso.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zom Bee
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rootbeer wrote:
I think it's pretty obvious from this pic...

... that it's a prototype board. Look at the 6 5 4 in the lower right, the white boxes on the left.

That said, I sure do think it's tacky when the name of the game is printed on the board (upper right).

I have no problem with this form of board/minis...if you want tactical, you have HeroClix or a ton of RPG superhero games to choose from...this is somethig else entirely - I look forward to it.

Following FFG's latest trend, there are probably going to be city/hero map expansions to add boards and figures - perhaps you will even be able to connect the expansion maps together in some way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
xombe wrote:
Following FFG's latest trend, there are probably going to be city/hero map expansions to add boards and figures - perhaps you will even be able to connect the expansion maps together in some way?

Note that the development of the game, as far as I know, is outside of FFG (they are just the importers - this is from the very talented team that has given us X-Bugs and War of the Ring). That being said, I think they would be designing the game with the intention of leaving room to easily add expansions if demand was high.

I have been watering at the mouth for quite a long time in anticipation of the game!!! I have faith in the team and the theme deserves a solid representation in the strategic board game world.

....but....and this is probably true because nothing could live up to the hype I've given it in my mind....but I must agree that the board looks uninspiring. I can't figure out if it's because of the artist's representation, or because I wasn't expecting a map of that type to be the centerpiece of the game. Cool figures, though - scale issures don't bother me at all, and perhaps the blandness of the board is intentional so as to not clash with the figures.

'still watering at the mouth, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't expect any expansions...remember, Hasbro has the rights to Marvel boardgames starting in 01/07.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tookson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shake

The strategic board layout would be fine w/ me if the gameboard doesn't look like some kid made it in arts and crafts hour to show his mommy. Man, that board is butt ugly!

Yet, even w/ a hideous board, a game can still be exceptional (he's thinking: princes of the rennaisance), and the quality of WotR makes me think/hope/fantasize that what we are seeing is merely a prototype.

I'm mainly concerned w/ creative thoughtful gameplay (germanic style) w/ a heavy dose of smack down (american style). And those cool minis will be a lot more fun to play a game w/ than colored pegs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Nepitello
Italy
Venezia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tookson wrote:
shake
The strategic board layout would be fine w/ me if the gameboard doesn't look like some kid made it in arts and crafts hour to show his mommy. Man, that board is butt ugly!

Well, I'm not a kid, but luckily for everybody concerned I'm not the art director either, and that mockup map is based on what I did long a go in one afternoon to playtest the game. So, yes, the final art is different.

Tookson wrote:

I'm mainly concerned w/ creative thoughtful gameplay (germanic style) w/ a heavy dose of smack down (american style). And those cool minis will be a lot more fun to play a game w/ than colored pegs.

That's a good approximation of what the game is like. And note that a lot of the components that will be in the game are not shown in the pictures, not even in mockup version (Team Base miniboards, Heroes and Mastermind Villains reference cards, Resource cards, Villains cards, Locations, special dice and so on).

But to draw a line, let me say, do not expect a tactical scale game. For that there is already Heroclix. This is a team menagement game, on a more 'operational' scale. But don't worry, you still get a lot of character detail (powers, etc.) and a much wider 'storytelling' feeling.

Francesco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Hall
United States
Lake Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Francesco! Is there any comparison to War of the Ring? If there is could you tell us what differences to expect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Francesco, you didn't let me down with War of the Ring, so I'll keep the faith.

Though as far as Heroclix already doing the tactical thing, there are a LOT of people who abandoned that game due to its problems quite some time ago. Still, we probably shouldn't have let our expectations color what the final product turns out to be...because we weren't promised a tactical-style game in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Nepitello
Italy
Venezia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BlingBling wrote:
Thanks Francesco! Is there any comparison to War of the Ring? If there is could you tell us what differences to expect?

The only correlation I can draw between the two games is that I worked on both... Jokes aside, what I find similar is that we tried hard in both designs to capture the right mood. BUT, to get what is the right mood for the Marvel universe is IMO very difficult, even more than with Tolkien. With WotR we thought we knew what to look for from the start, since the author defined a very precise 'canon'. The problem was how to portray it faithfully. With MH, we had to experiment, and even if we think we finally nailed it, the universe is so wide, diversified and prone to interpretation that I'm expecting even more debate on this game than for WotR.
Anyway, just to tell something more, the mechanics in MH bear no resemblance to WotR, or to Heroclix either. The game offers a (considerably) lower level of complexity than WotR, both in the mechanics proper, and the use of cards. I'll go into deeper detail when I will be cleared to do so!

Bye for now,

Francesco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Very disappointing. Sure, it's only pictures but... ugh. Sadly, I'n the only one in my gaming group who'd ever consider buying it so I won't be able to give it a try before I buy. I suppose I'll have to rely on the reviews that eventually crop up here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tookson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks Francesco for the info! Your accessibility to the gaming public proves that you are one of the classiest big time game designer in the industry.

I'll be looking forward to breaking out a little "Hulk Smash" on the weak Thing when this game does get released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david funch
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Is the game really 2-4 players? I mean, does one person have to control two teams if three people are playing? Or do you get one team no matter how many people are playing?

Will the side boards be scaled down for tactical combat? I'm not sure if I even want this. Sounded cool until I thought about the downtime for the other players. Maybe if there's some generic henchmen figures in the game the other players can choose their actions in combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen McGarel
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools

I'm impressed by what I've seen in terms of both the figures and even in the gamemap.

I'm guessing the game will be more operational in nature as indicated by the off board locations hinted on the gameboard. Hopefully it will have a strong sense of narrative as well. I like the idea of saving the world from .....in several large climatic battles. If it played like Arkham Horror that would be fine with me.

I think with Heroclix we already have a tactical game. Although I might have liked Heroclix better personally if it were more like the Star Wars, i.e. the heroes had specific special abilities. Regardless, Heroclix is very popular.

Overall though I excited by the idea of a grander scale game. I think you have give the designers of War of the Ring some leeway.

Wildly Speculating,

Owen McGarel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arcadian Del Sol
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnakinOU wrote:
Don't expect any expansions...remember, Hasbro has the rights to Marvel boardgames starting in 01/07.

Which makes me wonder how 'rushed to production' this game may actually be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.