Casey Ryback
United States
California
flag msg tools
From what I have read so far, the game seems similar to a co-opish Thunderstone (minus the dice).
ie You build a deck of cards that will eventually help you defeat a monster.

This can lead to a frustrating 'The item I need is on the bottom of my deck' type scenario.

Any Thunderstone players out there agree with this?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from both being fantasy based card games Pathfinder and Thunderstone have pretty much nothing in common.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ryback wrote:
From what I have read so far, the game seems similar to a co-opish Thunderstone (minus the dice).
ie You build a deck of cards that will eventually help you defeat a monster.

This can lead to a frustrating 'The item I need is on the bottom of my deck' type scenario.

Any Thunderstone players out there agree with this?


You need to play it, not just read about it. Game play videos might give you a slightly better understanding but it isn't Thunderstone at all. As far as the scenario you reference, that's what happens in almost any card game I can think of other than Mage Wars. Its how the game works. There's a bit more hand shaping in PACG because you can choose to recharge a card (put it on the bottom of your deck) but the fact is it starts out random and you may not get exactly what you need when you need it. If people can't handle that, card games might not be the best choice.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy Durgin
United States
Tijeras
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dugman wrote:
Aside from both being fantasy based card games Pathfinder and Thunderstone have pretty much nothing in common.


I've played both games quite a bit, and I agree with this assessment.

They do both have a "deck management" aspect, but differ in basically every detail of the actual gameplay.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Deignan
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ryback wrote:
From what I have read so far, the game seems similar to a co-opish Thunderstone (minus the dice).
ie You build a deck of cards that will eventually help you defeat a monster.

This can lead to a frustrating 'The item I need is on the bottom of my deck' type scenario.

Any Thunderstone players out there agree with this?


I've played all the popular deck-builders (Dominion, Thunderstone, Ascension, Nightfall, Legendary, DC Comics) and, outside of the fact that all these games use cards, they have nothing in common. If you're looking for a game it's a little close to, maybe you can argue that it's close to Sentinels of the Multiverse in terms of game execution.

Sentinels: "Don't worry about that Steve, I got that on my turn."
Pathfinder: "Hmmm, I'm not sure that I can handle this alone. Anyone able to throw me some help?"

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not a deckbuilder.

It uses a deck building LIKE mechanic for character progression after each game session, and you can utilize items you find during an adventure. But not really in a Thunderstone way.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Stumpf
United States
Gig Harbor
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Thunderstone extensively and completed my first game of Pathfinder last night. They don't feel anything alike other then the occasional meetup with monsters and as mentioned above that cards are involved.

Pathfinder has more of a quest/journey feel to it. It isn't about buying cards, it's about finding ally's, items, spells, weapons and armor along the way and running into monsters, henchman barriers and villains on your journey. I love Thunderstone and definitely feel the theme works even though it's just another deck builder (buy this card, defeat this card). With Pathfinder, even though there are cards, it's about the journey and you might even forget you're playing with cards.

Just my .

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Ryback
United States
California
flag msg tools
Im glad to hear this as i didnt really care for thunderstone.

Think i'll have to buy this.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Ryback
United States
California
flag msg tools
Ok this is sounding more like runebound but without the board.

I did find that game fun as you had to travel to get items, rather than thunderstones 'town' where the items are always within reach per se.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Phillips
United States
Knoxville
TN
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
The best comparison I can think of for this is a hybrid of Sentinels of the Multiverse, Pen/Paper RPG, and Risk Legacy.


This uses cards, Thunderstone uses cards. Both involve getting stuff and killing monsters. To me, the similarity ends there.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ryback wrote:
Ok this is sounding more like runebound but without the board.


That's more accurate than Thunderstone.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Negron
United States
New Hyde Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is nothing like Thunderstone. This game is alot closer to a simplified (not simple) RPG. Thunderstore is more of a Dominion clone mixed with killing monsters.

Both absolutely great games (I own them both) but are totally different from each other.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nadurgin wrote:
dugman wrote:
Aside from both being fantasy based card games Pathfinder and Thunderstone have pretty much nothing in common.


I've played both games quite a bit, and I agree with this assessment.

They do both have a "deck management" aspect, but differ in basically every detail of the actual gameplay.



Thumbed for the use of the term "deck management"
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Ryback
United States
California
flag msg tools
Also, in RPG's once you find an item, its there to use at your disposal.
(not randomly shuffled into a deck)

I believe Runebound worked like this as well. ie you placed your found/purchased item in front of you to use.

Would having this feature ruin the gameplay?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cgrater wrote:
The best comparison I can think of for this is a hybrid of Sentinels of the Multiverse, Pen/Paper RPG, and Risk Legacy.


Few times I have seen this comparison and I am still struggling with it....is it because you can write on the cards or something?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ryback wrote:
Also, in RPG's once you find an item, its there to use at your disposal.
(not randomly shuffled into a deck)

I believe Runebound worked like this as well. ie you placed your found/purchased item in front of you to use.

Would having this feature ruin the gameplay?


Not sure what you mean exactly, but when you get an item in this game it usually goes to your hand. Ready at your disposal.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Phillips
United States
Knoxville
TN
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Acererak wrote:
cgrater wrote:
The best comparison I can think of for this is a hybrid of Sentinels of the Multiverse, Pen/Paper RPG, and Risk Legacy.


Few times I have seen this comparison and I am still struggling with it....is it because you can write on the cards or something?


(There may have been others before it, but for me...) Risk Legacy was the first game to create a "persistent" world, where what you do in this game affects the way the game plays next time you play.

Original Risk, Thunderstone, Sentinels, most every other board game, when you set it up to play you start from scratch. In Legacy, the actions you take in the game tonight will affect what happens not only in this game session, but in every other game session afterwards.


PACG uses something of the same concept. You don't use stickers and don't (have to) write on any card (just print off the character sheets from the website), so you can reset to a "like new" box. However, you have the option of playing a "campaign" where, similar to Risk Legacy, your actions, decisions, and victories in one session have an impact on future gaming sessions.


Because Risk Legacy was the first board game I ever played that tried to use the concept of persistence between gaming sessions, it is always my go-to comparison for other games that also use that mechanic.

Does that help clarify where that comparison comes from (at least for me)?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Ryback
United States
California
flag msg tools
Acererak wrote:
ryback wrote:
Also, in RPG's once you find an item, its there to use at your disposal.
(not randomly shuffled into a deck)

I believe Runebound worked like this as well. ie you placed your found/purchased item in front of you to use.

Would having this feature ruin the gameplay?


Not sure what you mean exactly, but when you get an item in this game it usually goes to your hand. Ready at your disposal.


Because it isn't ready the next game. ie You have to rely on luck of the draw that it comes up after you shuffle your deck.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cgrater wrote:
Does that help clarify where that comparison comes from (at least for me)?


Indeed it does, thanks for ellaborating. I was seriously wondering.

Distilling the concept of "persistence" to its very core I could see some resemblance. But comparing both games as a whole is stretching it too much, I think.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ryback wrote:
Acererak wrote:
ryback wrote:
Also, in RPG's once you find an item, its there to use at your disposal.
(not randomly shuffled into a deck)

I believe Runebound worked like this as well. ie you placed your found/purchased item in front of you to use.

Would having this feature ruin the gameplay?


Not sure what you mean exactly, but when you get an item in this game it usually goes to your hand. Ready at your disposal.


Because it isn't ready the next game. ie You have to rely on luck of the draw that it comes up after you shuffle your deck.


That luck part is greatly mitigated by having very small player decks (15 to 20 cards) and by the several different ways you can use cards in this game. You will probably see all your cards in almost every game, some of them several times. That is actually why the game seems to play so differently for each char, because the inherent randomness is countered elegantly.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.