Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious how Orcs manage to fight undead effectively? It seems that they would be constantly making fear tests and eventually rout tests. I tried the starter suggestions and got beaten on by the undead.
Humans I can see because you can start throwing Bravery on everybody and have long range archers to back them up. But Orcs have unimpressive leadership scores.

Especially bad when the Undead does Wave of Terror.

Is there a good trick?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gross
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played multiple battles with all of the 1500 point starter armies, and I honestly can say that I'm not sure which one is the best. I have won with all of them, and I have lost with all of them.

It is true that the undead don't make courage checks, but it's also true that they are very fragile-- they have far fewer damage boxes than the other armies. So lets say that you cause a rout check on an Orc unit, and put it into the yellow. You then make your free attacks, and do another couple of points of damage. That Orc unit might still be in quite viable shape, still in the yellow and ready to rejoin the battle once it rallies. If you had done the same amount of damage to a comparable undead unit, it might already be dead, or at the very least far into the red, where it is losing 2 dice on the attack.

Because the undead are so fragile, they are particularly vulnurable to having a breach in their line, which gives you pinching and flanking bonuses, which are at the heart of the game. If you kept track of how many dice each player rolled over the course of the game while getting the benefit of "flanking" and "pinching" bonuses, I am convinced that the player that had more would win the vast majority of the time. So, ganging up on an undead unit by hitting it with some missile fire at the same time that you hit it with a good unit will destroy it outright most of the time, giving you a hole you can exploit for flanking and pinching; whereas when the undead do the same thing to the Orcs, they only cause a courage check, which may or may not lead to a hole in the line, depending on if the Orcs make the check or not.

Also make sure you use the "lash" command effectively, to get extra flanking and pinching bonuses. Put speedy units on the edges, and if you wait for the opportune moment to lash them, you can almost always arrange to gang up on whatever undead unit is on the edge. A lashed unit of wolfriders gets 8.5" of movement!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see a bit of a flaw in how we played as well.

We were laying down multiple cards in a single attack, so it was possible for the Undead player to use Accuarcy, Might and Vampirism in one 'hit'. That was clearly incorrect (it was our first game).

That seems to be one of the strengths of the Orcs. they have a few cards that allow them to play and affect all their troops before combat begins. Then they could play a card during combat. Then they could Lash for an extra die.

So I think I see that the Orcs can really overwhelm others.

I was a little worried about the Abominations. They don't have tons of attack strength but they do have good Toughness and can take a lot of damage. But I see what you mean about most of their troops taking less damage.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarimrune wrote:
I was a little worried about the Abominations. They don't have tons of attack strength but they do have good Toughness and can take a lot of damage. But I see what you mean about most of their troops taking less damage.

The Abominations are not bad as defenders, but they are terribly weak offensively. And they are Large, which isn't a good thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd echo what was said here. Most undead units don't take rout checks but they pay for this in terms of overall fighting power. Some (like skeletons) are fragile, others (like Abominations) don't have a lot of offensive power and some (Giant Catapult) are just more expensive than a comparable unit with a 'normal' courage would be.

Orcs also have a pretty solid courage, good defensive stats and lots of green hits, so they can often do a lot of damage to the Undead before they start taking rout checks. If you have some ranged units you might try concentrating on one Undead unit in the front line (especially a Skeleton unit) because, as noted, the Orcs are great at taking advantage of a break in the enemy line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.