Subject: Best Scenarios rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen E.
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
I just got Memoir 44 and I just can't get into it. I've now played 3 scenarios, Pegasus bridge, omaha beach, and i cant remember the last one i played but it was with the elite german tanks and grenader units. Im not sure if it is how unbalance the two sides or what but i just cant get into it. sure some of the games have had moments but it just doesnt seem fun.

So i guess what im looking for is what scenarios are the best. I really wanna like this game but its not looking promising

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it gets more interesting when you add the Eastern Front expansion.

But if you want more depth and a more interesting game, look at Borg's Commands and Colors: Ancients. Same mechanics, deeper game.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/14105

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Swedlund
United States
Lakeville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you can go over to the official site at www.memoir44.com (or just through www.daysofwonder.com) and see a list of the scenarios with ratings (from to ) as voted on by players. There are also a healthy number of additional official scenarios designed by Richard Borg and tons of fan-designed scenarios, all rated and with after-action reports that show the scenario balance.

If you register your copy by inputting the dog tag number on the back of your rules, you get access to the additional scenarios and the comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Swedlund
United States
Lakeville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, in the forums over there, someone has listed all the scenarios (the ones included in the game along with the official RB website add-ons) in order of balance, as calculated by the difference in the average score of each side in the AARs on the site.

It's not a ranking of which are best, but this might answer your concerns about unbalanced scenarios.

Incidentally, the two perfectly balanced scenarios are Operation Lüttich (base game 09) and Saverne Gap (base game 16).

Omaha Beach, which you mentioned as one of the scenarios you've played thus far, is the next-to-most unbalanced scenario, with the Axis player having an average 2.5 medal advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Tenhoff
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the recommendation to go to the Day's of Wonder site and checking out the Scenario Section (both Official and User created). The rating system and the AAR reports give a good representation of which scenarios are balanced. I printed half dozen of the balanced ones to play last weekend, when a friend came to visit and we had very close games each time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Borg
Sweden
Lund
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We always play twice and switch sides in between. In that way we don't have to bother with balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For single plays finding the most balanced scenarios is the WAY to go.

We always play two games, switching sides, between plays. This really helps even the score and also help balance someone who got bad cards/rolls in the first game.

Also, somewhere here you can find rules for buying your army in secret and then setting up your own terrain. It's very fun!

We really enjoy the game. Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen E.
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
We play twice it just doesn't seem like much of a challenge since one side can usually over power the other. Usually we play the first round unit victory, then when the second round comes we play until the winner of the first round gets more points than the loser of the first round. So say for Omaha beach i started as Axis and destroyed my friend (the 4 or six honor medals however many you need to 0). So when we switched sides as soon as i got one kill we ended the game because at that point I had won. It seems to go that way in all three games.

Also the last game I played was Lüttich but that seems slanted to Allies whith the ability to air raid on any recon card. Espically since the first turn I managed to draw the recon card that applied to all 3 of the sections. It seems like its such a good system I think I might like it better if we played with more than two people or maybe I should try that command and color game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm, I've had some very exciting M'44 games but I can understand if it doesn't appeal to everyone. We always play a scenario twice, and count the combined medal count as a final score. It's quite challenging to try and lose a scenario by one less medal than your opponent, but luck plays a large part and the game is really played for fun rather than competition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen E.
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
Maybe that is the problem i really like the games where I can screw over my openents. Im not really a fan of playing just to go through the motions. Does this game get any more competative with team play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have found that unbalanced scenarios are useful for when a beginner plays a player who has a dozen games under their belt. The experieced player of course gets the side that has less chance to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Espo wrote:
Maybe that is the problem i really like the games where I can screw over my openents. Im not really a fan of playing just to go through the motions. Does this game get any more competative with team play?

Are there a lot of wargames where you screw over your opponent in any more specific way than killing their units?

As for balance, I've been able to win on both sides of all the scenarios we've played so far. I think it helps if you read the summary, check the board, and know in advance you're on the disadvantaged side. When I do this and change my style of play accordingly, I tend to do well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen E.
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
Finally had a good game. Yesterday I played Saverne Gap, Vosges. And it was fun and a close game I only lost by one medal. Thanks for all the input guys it helped a lot in finding what I was looking for in a scenario

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played command and colors: ancients 2-3 times before I opened up Memoir, and the weird thing is that even though CC:A is more complex, it had the effect of making me "read" Memoir differently than I otherwise would have, paying more attention to stuff like supporting units, maintaining "lines" and that sort of thing.

Memoir is more knee-slapping fun than CC:A, but CC:A, although a little more fiddly, seems a little subtler and richer, or different in ways I'm not good at articulating.

If memoir starts feeling thin after multiple scenarios I may trade it out for CC:A, however CC:A will not have the same appeal for my young sons either.

As far as "screwing over appeal", what's not to like about calling in air support on some foolishly clustered enemies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.