David Dyer
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing HeroScape about five months now. Being a completist,
I have everything that has been published or produced, including some
nice "snow" hexes that I got on eBay along with some other terrain.
I have three Mastersets, and use house rules (having painted some of
the characters) to allow multiple sets of "uniques".

But the real question I have (I've been playing a once a week regular
schedule with two or three players) is: DO YOU FAVOR MORE EXTREME
LANDSCAPES (maps), OR MORE NORMAL (mundane, plain, boring, workable) MAPS?

I love building landscape/maps...but when playing, I find that my temptation to put in every dang single hex I own is a handicap to a great battle. There is a balance issue here, of course.

What has your experience been? I'm especially interested in hearing from those of you who love to create new maps.

Peace (except on the board),
Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think over the long haul, I'd like a mix of both. When the roads and lava were brand new we tried to squeeze everything onto the map and tried to draft large armies. It was a nice change for a while, but we found that it was more enjoyable to play 3 or 4 smaller scenarios (possibly on the same terrain) than to play one monster scenario with tons of terrain and figures.

I've also noticed that if you puts too much terrain in, most of it just gets ingnored. However big the battlefield is, you'll still find a point on the map, with a roughly 8-10 hex radius, where all the action is taking place.

I might favor extreme maps (in design not size) as a change of pace. If you put in unique features that alter or inhibit some common strategies then you are forced to reevaluate some of the less loved figures that might shine in this unique environment.

If you are playing a simple slug-fest, last man/team standing wins, then the terrain matters less. But it is VERY challenging to design objective based scenarios with unique terrain features that are balanced for both sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
asmiles wrote:
I've also noticed that if you puts too much terrain in, most of it just gets ingnored. However big the battlefield is, you'll still find a point on the map, with a roughly 8-10 hex radius, where all the action is taking place.

This is true for many skirmish games, and games with larger maps simply spend early turns with fairly borng marching to get to where the game is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dyer
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, exactly. I built a nice map with a deep canyon and only archers (there's an image in the gallery) that was fun. But trying to work in all the roads and lava (I have three bridge sets) just doesn't work well. Using all the trees, or all of the single hex ones, though, is easy and fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've made and uploaded over 10 maps and I liked using as many tiles as possible too. Recently I noticed many of my maps were too complex and the basic battle during a game was secondary to the complexity of the rules. I think many of my ideas made me make maps that were more goal oriented and then the overall map/scenario became to complex. I'm now leaning toward more basic maps with good aesthetics but also good design for batlle purposes. I'm playtesting one now and really like how the simplicity of rules/scnenario make the basic battle the center point of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that creativity in map design can make some units shine more than others. You can design maps (and scenarios) that may favor (or reduce favor) to the figures that are always chosen. When you have a good collection of HeroScape stuff I think this is worthwhile to getting satisfaction out of your collection.

I do find that 3 master sets, 4 RTFF and 2 lava sets are more than enough terrain to do what we want to do, which are usually 2, sometimes 3, rarely 4 player games. (And we still are excited for the snow sets and castles sets in spite of this.) While it is true that many games can just begin with the "tiresome march" to the sweet spot(s) of the map, the march can give favor to units who favor the first attack. It can reward the person who deploys his armies wisely. When we only had one master set you could pretty well choose any unit because there just wasn't the space to allow for much variety in deployment tactics. Gosh I remember 1 master set maps where the area was so small you could easily invide the opponent's starting area to wipe out his later waves of figures. I like a slightly bigger map that can deal out the reality of tactics (pros and con) of overextending an attack to claim territory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dyer
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have somewhat less terrain than you (3.5 master sets, 3 RTFFs, and one
lava), but that's enough to allow some pretty varied constructions.

Like you, I find there is a certain challenge and pleasure in building
a map that "works" for some figures better than others. It is pretty
easy to build a map that favors fliers (then put in a couple of WIND glyphs!) or one that favors vipers who can slither a long way.

Yesterday I played with the Viking Warriors for the first time in a long while and had the joy of rolling three moves for them in a row, with a
+2 move glyph, those Vikings with hiking like crazy!

Peace, (expect on the map)
Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.