Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just pulled this out again tonight, and man, I had forgotten how wonky the rules are. What's a double route, locomotives and ferries, locomotives and tunnels, the weird exception for the Murmansk long route etc...

Why did this version of TTR become such a weird hodgepodge of quirks and exceptions? There is STILL a debate over double routes, which is crazy after all these years. The game is still being sold... why don't they just update the rules to address that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the rules really that weird?

Edit: To clarify, that's a rhetorical question. I don't think the rules are that weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Still" a debate? Those threads were last active in January, until you dredged both of them up today. (Edit: just realized, that in both of those threads, the previous poster had dredged up long-dead threads from 2008. 5 years of silence, two posts from the same person. 8 months, two more posts from someone else. If that's what you consider a raging debate, I'm assuming you're related to Treebeard?)

Despite the weirdness of some of the rules, I find this to be my favorite version of TtR. Not having Locomotives as wilds is a great change, IMO, and the Ferries and Tunnels are both interesting and somewhat necessary to give Locomotives meaning. The Murmansk special rules are odd, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob H. T.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have never known this game has wonky rules if I had not read this thread.

It might be the best game in the series, but if you don't like the given rules, play the game how you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the exception of card substitution, these rules are found in other versions. I don't think this is any weirder than Asia, India or Marklin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:
If that's what you consider a raging debate, I'm assuming you're related to Treebeard?)

Hah! This made me smile.

Ok, it's not a raging debate.

But the rules are odd... and kind of weird to teach to non-regulars. Locos do this here, but not there. 3 for 1 here, but not there, etc.

I still like the game, obviously... but this was prompted by me pulling it out and facing all these curiosities again. Just seemed quite a few quirks for what is at heart a simple game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Double routes are in all Ticket to Ride games, locomotives aren't wild cards on all of the maps, ferries and tunnels appeared in Europe. Only the 9-length route is really unique, and only because you can trade in cards to count as other cards. Otherwise, this isn't that strange of a map. I'd say that Team Asia takes that cake any day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whaleyland wrote:
Double routes are in all Ticket to Ride games, locomotives aren't wild cards on all of the maps, ferries and tunnels appeared in Europe. Only the 9-length route is really unique, and only because you can trade in cards to count as other cards. Otherwise, this isn't that strange of a map. I'd say that Team Asia takes that cake any day.

Sounds like you forgot at least one thing; You can use any three cards in place of a locomotive on the locomotive spaces of ferry routes. Perhaps that speaks the original posters point; there are just enough little special rules and exceptions that it is easy to get it wrong if you haven't played in a while.

This isn't a complicated game and it is one of my favorite TTR maps but I agree with the original poster; the rules are a little wonky and easy to forget compared to the other games. This is the only TTR game out of all of them where I felt compelled to put a cheat sheet in the box so I can quickly brush up after not playing for a while.

'Wonky things'
- I can't think of any other map where there are double routes that don't look at all like double routes because they are different lengths or don't run exactly parallel to each other. I played many games before learning there were a couple of 'double routes' on the board that I hadn't been playing as double routes.

- The any four cards as a joker on the 9 length route rule (they could have used a little symbol on the board as a cue that something was special about this route).

- The substitute any 3 cards for a locomotive on the locomotive spaces of the ferry routes is easy to forget.

- Locomotives are not wild on normal routes. Does this appear on another map? Switzerland maybe? Switz is the only map I didn't enjoy enough to play more than a couple of times so I can't remember. Anyhow, it is not a common rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes Switzerland has non-wild locomotives as well. The only rule unique to this map is the card substitution rule.

I do agree that the "wonky" artwork(?) on the left side routes don't look like double route- only one of these maybe? But yes it's deceiving.

Edit: yes there are some great player aids showing the differences between the versions and at a glance rule differences. I've printed theses d pit them in all the boxes for quick refrrence and come in handy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Clemons
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
It seems every nasal euro bandwagon elitist is jumping your bones for not having owned them all to compare it. But then again I am a troll and I live in a hole.

I think I'll go play Toc Toc Woodman and finish my Merlot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baduino wrote:
jumping your bones

I don't think that means what you think it means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:
baduino wrote:
jumping your bones

I don't think that means what you think it means.

I was going to post that too, but I just wasn't sure about the whole post.

I'm guessing the Merlot went down easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
arkayn wrote:
Despite the weirdness of some of the rules, I find this to be my favorite version of TtR. Not having Locomotives as wilds is a great change, IMO, and the Ferries and Tunnels are both interesting and somewhat necessary to give Locomotives meaning. The Murmansk special rules are odd, though.

My wife and I pulled out Nordic Countries to get our two-player game on and ended up going over the rules with a fine-toothed comb for the first time. The Murmansk rule really threw us for a loop because it basically became "The player in the lead can discard their hand to gain 27 points and end the game prematurely."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
etherial wrote:
arkayn wrote:

My wife and I pulled out Nordic Countries to get our two-player game on and ended up going over the rules with a fine-toothed comb for the first time. The Murmansk rule really threw us for a loop because it basically became "The player in the lead can discard their hand to gain 27 points and end the game prematurely."

Sure, if you're in the lead AND you have what, 20 spare cards or so?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yes, if the player in the lead has so many spare cards then probably both players are playing quite poorly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KlydeFrog wrote:
etherial wrote:

Sure, if you're in the lead AND you have what, 20 spare cards or so?

Also... I'm not missing something, am I? There's no special rule that completing the Murmansk line ends the game, right? The above poster was just saying that getting those 9 trains on the board will speed the end of the game by running you out of trains, right?

Wouldn't it be easier to get 9 trains placed by either matching three 3-length routes, or a 4 and a 5, rather than either match 9 cards or have like 20 cards to plop down? I know claiming three routes takes extra turns, but so does drawing an extra dozen cards. Assuming you're "in the lead" already, and aren't gunning for the points of the 9-route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.