Popular Tags: gmt [+] unmounted_map [+] [View All]
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
I think I may cancel my preorder:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that can't possibly be right. Please someone say that's only the playtest map. Wargames need theme, and the mapboard is critical to evoking theme. Point-to-point maps can be beautiful - just witness Phalanx' A House Divided. C'mon, this isn't the real map, is it???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Young
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is definitely a playtest map.

The final product will have terrain underneath that shows through the Area Boxes. It will be another beautiful GMT point-to-point map before it is released.

No worries.

And if you think this is ugly, you should see what we were using before Chad did this for us. gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paul
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that this map does very well is present game information. As a playtester (though Rick is being modest, the first map was not that bad), this has been a critical issue:

Making sure that the map "information" is not missed - so our comments have tended to focus on that. This new map addresses these issue. Now it needs to be a bit prettier :-)

Form vs Function - an age old debate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
I was going to buy OverText but I didn't know what to say with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Roy, the map picture clearly reads "FAB Bulge Playtest (not final product) Map". What part of "not final" tells you they are done with this map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poochie D
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
Why not use areas instead of a point-to-point map? I find P2P maps are too cluttered for block games. With areas, you get lots of room for the blocks, plus there are no boxes to hide the terrain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Foster
United States
Eagle Bend
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The map looks great!

Yeah the art could (and will) be improved, but it is just a playtest. There is a ton of info contained in each space, and is very easy to read. I can't wait for it to be published.

Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hacksword wrote:
Why not use areas instead of a point-to-point map? I find P2P maps are too cluttered for block games. With areas, you get lots of room for the blocks, plus there are no boxes to hide the terrain.

I wholeheartedly agree, though I'm sure its too late to change. Area maps (such as in Europe Engulfed) just look so much better. They look like real (i.e. not gameboard) maps, are much less artificial looking, and they accomplish the same thing (don't they?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmb
geberus wrote:
The map looks great!

Yeah the art could (and will) be improved, but it is just a playtest. There is a ton of info contained in each space, and is very easy to read. I can't wait for it to be published.

Dan

Yeah, it's amazing how opinions differ. When I first saw the playtest map I thought; Wow! Finally a wargame that doesn't pretend to be something it isn't.

The days are numbered for huge wargames with 6000 hexes and 1/2" counters. They pretend they're realistic but generally have no more realism than Risk. I'm excited by the newest trend of games such as Twilight Struggle, Hammer of the Scots and FAB. Of course, it'll always be nice to have World in Flames, ASL and Europe Engulfed sitting on the shelf to admire and occasionally play

Ben

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Mathews
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You do realize that this is the playtest map and nowhere near the final art, right? Same with the art on the blocks. Also, there aren't ANY counters because its a block game, not a counter game so the complaint about too few counters doesn't make sense. Wait until you can make an educated decision to decide to buy this or not. Perosnally, I'm waiting to buy it for some more reviews and such because the mechanic is unfamiliar and so I am not sure it would provide what I'm looking for. The game does look intriguing to me though (mechanics, not art).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmb
I fear that may not be enough Jon. Maybe this will help:

It's only a playtest map!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Mathews
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Hopefully that one will take. I'd hate for you to have to write it bigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poochie D
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
There is a photo of the latest playtest map over at the Point 2 Point website (http://point2pointsource.com/xoops/modules/myalbum/viewcat.p...). I think it's a huge improvement over the map displayed in this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Wilkinson

Colorado
msg tools
mb
I have to say, after looking over pics from various Bulge games...this campaign has really "inspired" a lot of ugly maps, with all the forest and need to emphasize the roads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Meyers
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking forward to this game until I saw the map, even the WBC prototype map. I mean what is with the point to point aspect in a block game? It is way too cluttered, can't see any of the terrain underneath; can't get a feel for the topography. It seems disjointed. Hope the prototype is just that, an early version that will be set aside.

I am a big fan of Europe Engulfed, was hoping for more of the same with FAB:The Bulge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you think this is bad, what wouldn't you have said about the final map for Patton's Best:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperious leader wrote:
Ok lets say your correct!

I will not see any damm boxes connected by lines then and the boxes are of different colors. and second i am not gonna see any player aids taking up space on the 50.00 bucks im gonna spend for the game. lastly, The map will have proper terrain features and not look like every other GMT game sake europe/asia engulfed. Good i am glad it wont be that.

On the offchance that you really don't understand: it's a point to point map, and thus requires nodes and connections of some type. It's not just an arbitrary pretty picture that you put the bits on. The latest map seems to have holding boxes and a turn track rather than player aids, so that should make you happy at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmb
We don't need these whiners. If they want a clear, simple map with pretty colors they should stick with Memoir'44.
Personally, I want the option to blow every bridge of the Ardennes forest and if that means the map is going to be ugly then so be it!

Ben

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
pitferret wrote:
Roy, the map picture clearly reads "FAB Bulge Playtest (not final product) Map". What part of "not final" tells you they are done with this map?

Quit bringing reality into this complaint!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In fairness to the above detractors, I think their main concern is the cluttered nature of the board rather than the actual lacking eye-candy of the playtest map.

I think that's a valid point for the designer(s) of the final artwork to keep in mind. You don't want game information to drown out (largely cosmetic) topographical information or vice versa. Rather, you want to strike the right balance.

I believe that on both counts (map clutter) and the eye-candy factor, the more recent playtest map found on the p2p site is a VAST improvement. I'd merely suggest making the boxes a little more trasparent so that the underlying topographical artwork comes a little more to the fore. That would give it all more of an organic and more immersive touch. Easily done. My other suggestion would be for the map to underly all tables and be extended into those unused and ugly grey areas.

I'd personally find the more recent playtest map with those two changes (plus some sprucing up of the various tables, logos etc) ready to go to the printer.

If the final artwork manages to take those suggestions I made into account AND even improve the overall look, this ought to be a stunning map. The newer playtest map already is quite nice (much more to my taste, I have to say, than the barebones clipartish final artwork GMT has done for Combat Commander, btw).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
EventHorizon wrote:
Also, there aren't ANY counters because its a block game, not a counter game so the complaint about too few counters doesn't make sense.

I thought the game was a mix of counters and blocks, a revolutionary concept.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrFlanagan wrote:
EventHorizon wrote:
Also, there aren't ANY counters because its a block game, not a counter game so the complaint about too few counters doesn't make sense.

Hardly revolutionary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
charlesf wrote:
DrFlanagan wrote:
EventHorizon wrote:

Hardly revolutionary.

Then name a game that uses blocks AND counters...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poochie D
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
DrFlanagan wrote:
charlesf wrote:
DrFlanagan wrote:
EventHorizon wrote:

Hardly revolutionary.

Then name a game that uses blocks AND counters...

Europe Engulfed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmb
Eastfront.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.