Hari Seldon
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
...the harder they fall.

Right?

Wrong!

Me and my buddies favorite game has been talisman since it came out and between us we own all of the expansions. For this paticular game we were using all the small expansions and the Dungeon.

We decided to randomly deal out 2 character cards to each person.

Player A got the Ghoul and thief and chose to use the ghoul.

Player B: angry

Us: Uh-oh

Him: Wizard and Sage! I choose the sage.

Us: wow

I got the leprechaun and the priest to the great amusement of everyone else.

Player B: You guys are goin' down!

Me: I'll kick your butt!

Player A: You're gonna need a stool for that...shake

Anyways, the game went pretty uneventfully for a while until the runesword-wielding sage killed the ghoul who had let his lifetotal plunge to dangerously low levels. He decided to leave at that point because it was getting kinda late.

Meanwhile I had built up a stockpile of twenty-some gold coins.

Sage: How are you able to hold all that gold ? You're so small!

Me: Shut up man. Just shut up.

So the sage had 8 craft and was getting ready to head for the crown. I rolled a 6 and teleported to the ruins where I found an academy and the gnome!

Me: wow

Sage: Lucky basterd shake

Me:

I ended up gaining 7 craft for a total of 12. The sage cast the spell that let him take 3 turns in a row so he got to take 11 turns in a row!

I then plunged into the dungeon to fight the lord of darkness in order to get to the crown quickly. The sage frantically tried to get one more craft in order to head to the crown safely. When I finally reached the treasure chamber I was able to beat the lord of darkness by enough to be teleported to the plain of peril thanks to my spell marked for glory.

Sage: #$%@!

I passed through the mines easily thanks to the gnome. At the vampire's tower I was forced to feed him my faithfull gnome and lose two life, putting me at two life with...

...0 fate?! Oh crap!

I got to play whack-a-mole with the pit fiends thanks to my hammer of light. The sage had arrived at the plaind of peril after gaining the final craft and finding a talisman nailed to a tree in the woods.

I arrived at the crown while the sage was finding his way through the mines. i flipped over the concealed ending to reveal the demon lord.

Me:cry

Sage:laugh

Me: The bigger they are the harder they fall.

I managed to remove 3 of his lives to the sages horror, but the the demon smacked me across the face and I was reduced to my last life. There I was facing down the demon with one life and no fate.We rolled the dice and...I got a 1.

He got a 6.

The leprechaun shrieked as the demon picked him up and hurled him into the valley of fire where he was impaled on a flaming stalagmite.

This was one of our most memorable talisman experiences by far. When I was facing off the demon with no fate left I felt like I'd gone all in at vegas...and lost everything. It was still fun for everyone involved, and the sage just couldn't stop laughing when the demon killed me and handed him the win.

The expansions were nice, but I don't think we'll be using the quest rewards or the werewolf & lycanthrope cards as they didn't add much to the game, and in the case of the werewolf, actually detracted from the experience.

Sorry for the lenghty post. This is my first session report, so could you guys tell me what I did well and what needs to be improved?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Renegade wrote:
Meanwhile I had built up a stockpile of twenty-some gold coins.
Why no City expansion? Leprechaun with Flail + Warhorse (or two) can suddenly handle himself in battle quite nicely.

Quote:
This is my first session report, so could you guys tell me what I did well and what needs to be improved?
Stop with the deal 2, pick 1 nonsese for one . Single random, you drew it, you play it, that's the only way to play Talisman (and Relic and Arkham Horror, etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Renegade wrote:
The leprechaun shrieked as the demon picked him up and hurled him into the valley of fire where he was impaled on a flaming stalagmite.
That sentence pretty much sums up Talisman. Well done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hari Seldon
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Dam the Man wrote:
Stop with the deal 2, pick 1 nonsese for one . Single random, you drew it, you play it, that's the only way to play Talisman (and Relic and Arkham Horror, etc.).
I prefer to play that way, but this is a compromise I'm forced to make because player B refuses to play unless he has some choiceof character, and prefers to go through the deck and pick out his character. shake

EDIT: Have some GG, guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Renegade wrote:
...the harder they fall.

The expansions were nice, but I don't think we'll be using the quest rewards or the werewolf & lycanthrope cards as they didn't add much to the game, and in the case of the werewolf, actually detracted from the experience.
I think the addition of BOTH of them on the board makes the game a bit more tedious so we've recently chosen to leave either the werewolf or the reaper out of any given game.

The down side to this is: with all the expansion boards chars are so spread out sometimes that there isn't very much R/WW interaction. Taking one of them off the board doesn't help this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only time we redraw characters is when we have the Prophetess opposite the Sage and/or Spy.
A game where everyone peeks at each other's cards and fates isn't all that fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Stevens
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Games: Design 'em, rewrite 'em, play 'em!
mbmbmbmbmb
That 1 at the end...that's hard core Talisman right there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls