Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Amanda Skogberg
Canada
Weyburn
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Looking for ideas for games that will fit into a stocking. I know it's early but I like to be done early.

Need ideas for a 10 year old boy and games for a 6 year old girl. Aswell as any games that would be good for family play.

Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lyons
United States
Eastlake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Thats My Fish!

Zombie Dice

Dungeon Roll

Im sure there are many others but these are a few that come to mind and would be suitable for the age group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Summoner Wars maybe, for the 10-year old.
Sushi Go! would be a good family game, and a good introduction to card drafting.
AttrAction would work as a family game.
Hey, That's My Fish! seems like it'd be perfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coloretto

Zooloretto: The Dice Game.

Both of these are by the same designer and can easily fit in a stocking. They both involve simple set collection and can be understood by children. Of the two, Zooloretto dice may be a tad more appealing for children, but I think they both would work. Also, another good thing about Zooloretto Dice is that the players stay involved throughout the game. There really is no downtime between turns as there is in many dice games. Also, the animals depicted on the dice are very appropriate for children.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Might be a tight squeeze, but Animal Upon Animal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluxx

Gloom

Guillotine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bauman
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked for similar recommendations awhile ago before travelling with my 10 and 6 year old.

Jaipur and Hey, That's My Fish! were hits.

Also, Hive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pax domina
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rory's Story Cubes (all variations)
Hive Pocket
Logan Stones (if you discard packaging and use enclosed bag instead)
Mr. Jack Pocket
Fairy Tale
Line Dice

And there are lots of fun PnP games to inexpensively (and lovingly) craft and gift like:

Let's Catch the Lion!
Oh My Lair! (add in a really nice custom set of 6 d6's)
Jasper and Zot
Zombie in my Pocket
Dice: The Evolution (just add a set of polyhedral dice)

... and many others! Research PnP games on BGG and lose your mind...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Caligari
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the games published by Nestor Games will fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love Letter
+1 Zombie Dice--which I actually did stuff in a stocking last Christmas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lambes
United States
Carlisle
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloom would probably not be the best thing for the under 10 age group, as it involves making a family miserable and killing them off one by one. It's a great game, but for the right group of people.

Dungeon Roll would have a second vote from my end. Easy but fun dice game that is the most awesome little chest and is only fifteen bucks. Good stuff.

Again, probably not for the kids, but the Resistance is pretty excellent, small, and mighty. Spies, evil corporations, and a resistance movement! What's not to love?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
Aerin Rainier wrote:
Gloom would probably not be the best thing for the under 10 age group, as it involves making a family miserable and killing them off one by one. It's a great game, but for the right group of people.

Just recommended it because of the suggested ages being 8 and up, and I enjoy it as well. I realize it's not for everyone, but I thought I'd suggest it anyways since it has kind of a Nightmare Before Christmas vibe to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Whitpan
United States
Schwenksville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Hey that's my Fish, I am currently loving the Timeline series too, And that's a nice size. Hanabi would be good as well! Another vote for Love Letter, and Guillotine is a favorite of my 8yo nephew.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayes
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
Spin Termite
badge
When I'm not looking, my games play each other!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Rory's Story Cubes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alyssa McCain
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the 6 year old I highly recommend Sleeping Queens. If it's a big stocking Unnamed Object would be great for either kids.

+1 for Hey That's My Fish, Rory's Story Cubes, Zombie Dice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Symington
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love Letter!
A Fistful of Penguins
Cthulhu 500
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
10 yr old:
Flash Duel: Second Edition

6 yr old:
Swish Jr.

Family game:
Felicity: The Cat in the Sack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bauman
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can find a copy of Pocket Battles: Macedonians vs. Persians or Pocket Battles: Celts vs. Romans or Pocket Battles: Elves vs. Orcs for a good price, those are good stocking stuffers for the 10 year old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Life is a lamp-flame before a wind.
msg tools
badge
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
For more options:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I H
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Love Letter
+1 Hanabi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Coloretto

Both of these are by the same designer and can easily fit in a stocking. They both involve simple set collection and can be understood by children. Of the two, Zooloretto dice may be a tad more appealing for children, but I think they both would work. Also, another good thing about Zooloretto Dice is that the players stay involved throughout the game. There really is no downtime between turns as there is in many dice games. Also, the animals depicted on the dice are very appropriate for children.

I think I have said this before, but you are one of the most dangerous Geeks to subscribe to on BGG. Your posts have a Delphic glow. I bought Goa because of two or three of your sentences. We are introducing it to a Carcassonne couple this Thursday.

For certain users, BGG should offer a schedulable subscription so you could schedule a subscription for a few weeks after every three paychecks laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
My niece and nephew (10 and 8) love No Thanks!, which we enjoy playing as a family. Some of Z-Man's other card games would fit easily in the stocking, like Saboteur or Parade, both of which have nice kid-friendly themes (though Parade might still be a little advanced for them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
August222 wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
Coloretto

I think I have said this before, but you are one of the most dangerous Geeks to subscribe to on BGG. Your posts have a Delphic glow. I bought Goa because of two or three of your sentences. We are introducing it to a Carcassonne couple this Thursday.

For certain users, BGG should offer a schedulable subscription so you could schedule a subscription for a few weeks after every three paychecks laugh

Thank you! But i must say much of what I say is influenced by others on this site. Goa rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Qwixx
Parade

Both very good for kids. Qwixx will challenge their decision-making skills. So does Parade, but it also provides a cute theme they'll enjoy from first glance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Martian Dice is a fast game, & once out of the packaging the box/tube will fit in a stocking.

If you are looking for print-and-play, we (the PnP guild) had a contest a few years ago where one of the criteria was that the game box fit in a stocking. The Great 2010 Christmas Print and Play Game Design Contest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.