Popular Tags: [View All]
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting together with some friends tomorrow to play cards and we have five people.

This group definitely isn't the group to bring one of "our" type of games to. If the deck of cards doesn't have the traditional suits and numbers, they're gonna start freaking.

Any idea as to what to play? It seems that Cribbage and Hearts are out. The birthday boy doesn't like Poker, so that's out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Birzer
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Egyptian Ratscrew!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/15712

Actually was a staple in college when we wanted to waste time doing something.

Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of my favorites using a regular deck.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1116

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ross
Canada
North Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a list of traditional card games that support 5 players:
http://www.pagat.com/number/5_players.html

President, Palace, and Cheat are fairly common and simple party type games.

Oh Hell! is a fairly simple exact-bidding trick taker. Sheepshead is ... less simple. Japanese Napolean looks interesting as well. You can play Hearts with five, though I've no idea what it's like.

If you're looking to try a climbing game (other than President), maybe take a look at Zheng Fen (an ancestor of Tichu).

Also, there're several games in the Rummy/Canasta family with 5-player variants.

Have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Roney
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davebo wrote:
It seems that Cribbage and Hearts are out.

I have played Hearts with five before. You deal out ten to each person, set the other two cards aside face-down and the first person to capture a heart (or the QS) takes the two extra cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stven Carlberg
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The other way to play Hearts with five people is for the players to take turns sitting out a hand. Once we figured this out (in the 1970s, when we were playing a LOT of Hearts), we never played it five-handed again.

Simply cut the cards to see who will sit out the first hand -- or if you're itching to get started, make it the last person to arrive. The player with the worst score after the first hand (and if there are ties, you can find some way to break them) gets up and lets the fifth player take his seat. Same thing after the next few hands: player with the worst score (who has not yet sat out) gets up and lets the fifth player back into the game. Once the order of taking turns to sit out has been established, stay with the same order for the rest of the game.

If somebody shoots the moon, of course the player not at the table does not get penalized.

The deal passes to the left with the table position, not the player.

The really nice thing about this for sociability is that everybody has a chance now and then to get a drink, use the bathroom, whatever, without bringing the game to a halt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheepshead is an excellent card game, and it plays best with 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurizio De Leo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Briscola chiamata or "due" is the best 5 player card game in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Munzing
United States
Piscataway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually play that the last 2 face down cards are taken on (with) the first trick. That way only the first person really knows whether shooting is an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
One game I have heard recommended is Chinkway (wordplay on Cinque). It was commercially published as Farfalia.

http://www.pagat.com/invented/chinkway.html

Here is a review of Farfalia: http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/11/11005.phtml

The US version on Wizard has regular looking cards along with Jesters and Wizards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wargamer66 wrote:

Yes, it's a good one. 5-player rules at http://www.sheepshead.org/basicrules.htm

I have taught several people to play; it's a weird game at first, with a small deck that's over 40% trump. The primary difficulty is getting people to remember that what looks like a heart might not be one.

b

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blanco
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? (James 2:15-16)
mbmbmbmbmb
52 card pickup is a great classic. Supports any number of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
500 supports 5 players out of a standard deck:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/13123

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wilson
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wargamer66 wrote:
Once upon a time sheepshead was the ONLY game we played when we had 5 people together. Sometime we even played when we had six, and everyone would sit out every sixth hand and prepare the next deal with a different deck.

Forget Puerto Rico, Sheepshead is one of the best games on the planet. Not all old school games are monopoly and candyland! You think Shadows over Camelot invented the idea of cooperative gameplay with a possible hidden traitor? Sheepshead beat it by a couple hundred years! And the VERY best part is that you can gamble, yet people can come and go from the game as you please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Reynolds
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We play 500 and Oh Hell. These are both good trick taking games. Oh Hell has a couple of different ways to play. We learned the game from an old Hoyle's book and we enjoy that version more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bwingrave wrote:
wargamer66 wrote:

Yes, it's a good one. 5-player rules at http://www.sheepshead.org/basicrules.htm

I have taught several people to play; it's a weird game at first, with a small deck that's over 40% trump. The primary difficulty is getting people to remember that what looks like a heart might not be one.

b

Sheepshead is the first game I thought of. What I find helps new people is a crib sheet with the order of trump and the order of the suits. I have taught many people how to play over the years. I learned this one when I was 12, myself, so it's really not that difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aahemm............POKER!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Heath
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hearts

Remove the 2 of spades and 2 of diamonds to make the deck even as I recall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wilson
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crockerdile wrote:
Aahemm............POKER!!!!
... said the man who didn't read the OP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.