Justin Woodman
United Kingdom
Wembley
Middx
flag msg tools
mb
Do you shuffle character decks at the start of a scenario prior to drawing your hand? I presume so, but it is not made explicit in the rules.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you do.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Clifford
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Machen wrote:
Do you shuffle character decks at the start of a scenario prior to drawing your hand? I presume so, but it is not made explicit in the rules.


You're kidding me? Really? No, just put the character deck into any order you want and play onsoblue
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
We are living our lives... Abound with so much information... Come on, let go of the remote,
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you do shuffle your deck before each scenario. And as far as I can tell, you are also correct that the rules never explicitly state to shuffle your character deck at the onset of a scenario. However, the fact that it is randomized is implied by sections like the following:

rulebook pg 7 wrote:
Draw Starting Hands. Each character card includes a hand size for that character; draw that number of cards from your character deck. The character card also lists a favored card type. If you did not draw at least 1 card of that type, discard that hand and draw again, repeating as needed until your hand contains at least 1 card of the specified type. Shuffle any discarded cards back into the character deck.

The emphasis added is mine. Also, if you could order your hand before drawing to find a favorite card, there would be no point to that step. To be explicit, it should state that you shuffle the character deck after you seed it with the correct amount of cards, and/or at the beginning of each scenario before drawing your starting hand.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Woodman
United Kingdom
Wembley
Middx
flag msg tools
mb
Yes, it was the part about shuffling discarded cards, and also the fact that you are required to redraw your starting hand if you do not initially draw one of your character's favoured card types, that makes me assume you do shuffle the character deck
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, looks like the designers made a booboo by not including it, because they actually state in the book to absolutely positively not shuffle any stack of cards unless explicitly told to do so.

So they really should have included the shuffle mechanic wording in before you draw. Some people reading the rules aren't able to read between the lines as to what a missing rule should or shouldn't include, so that one is kind of a big deal for some people.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
WreckingCrew wrote:
Machen wrote:
Do you shuffle character decks at the start of a scenario prior to drawing your hand? I presume so, but it is not made explicit in the rules.


You're kidding me? Really? No, just put the character deck into any order you want and play on


He's asking a valid question in the proper forum. He's read the relevant rule book sections, and search wouldn't help here either.

Your answer, again in the rules forum, read by someone who didn't catch your sarcasm is entirely incorrect. This forum is already very busy, and at least I personally would appreciate an attempt to keep the signal:noise ratio as high as possible. It makes it easier for people to both answer questions and find those answers.

Manoeuvre is an example of a card game that allows players to set fixed hands prior to starting. "Deck" does not always mean "fully randomized set of face-down cards" so a sentence explaining the designer's intent in the rules is appreciated and necessary if the goal is a complete rule set.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Woodman
United Kingdom
Wembley
Middx
flag msg tools
mb
firedale2002 wrote:
Oops, looks like the designers made a booboo by not including it, because they actually state in the book to absolutely positively not shuffle any stack of cards unless explicitly told to do so.

So they really should have included the shuffle mechanic wording in before you draw. Some people reading the rules aren't able to read between the lines as to what a missing rule should or shouldn't include, so that one is kind of a big deal for some people.


Yes, this is what confused me. As you say, I think the failure to include the rule is probably an oversight.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Clifford
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:
WreckingCrew wrote:
Machen wrote:
Do you shuffle character decks at the start of a scenario prior to drawing your hand? I presume so, but it is not made explicit in the rules.


You're kidding me? Really? No, just put the character deck into any order you want and play on


He's asking a valid question in the proper forum. He's read the relevant rule book sections, and search wouldn't help here either.

Your answer, again in the rules forum, read by someone who didn't catch your sarcasm is entirely incorrect. This forum is already very busy, and at least I personally would appreciate an attempt to keep the signal:noise ratio as high as possible. It makes it easier for people to both answer questions and find those answers.

Manoeuvre is an example of a card game that allows players to set fixed hands prior to starting. "Deck" does not always mean "fully randomized set of face-down cards" so a sentence explaining the designer's intent in the rules is appreciated and necessary if the goal is a complete rule set.


And I am pretty sure that the rules for Manoeuvre spells that out. Name me another game that allows you to do that, but doesn't spell it out for you.

Common sense says to shuffle the deck. As for not liking signal:noise on this thread, then why did you reply to me on the boards? You could have easily just sent me a note directly as your reply is just as much signal:noise as my reply was.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Please don't bring this attitude into the forums. Be constructive.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Brown
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Yes, this is what confused me. As you say, I think the failure to include the rule is probably an oversight.


While I appreciate the sentiment behind `obviously...', this was indeed an oversight on our part. I'll make sure that it's addressed in the future.

For the record: Yes, you should shuffle your character deck before your initial draw. The FAQ http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1gk includes an entry on the rare case where it's especially hard to draw your Favored Card Type.

Everyone: Thank you for helping on the forums, and thanks for playing!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.