United States
Chatham
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Dance Dino, Dance!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
So I'm pretty late to the game here as far as X-Wing is concerned; but its finally taking off in my area and a local FLGS is running a league. We're going to start at 50 points so that everybody can manage with just a core set I guess and since FFG isn't producing enough stock at this point a few of us have managed to only get a few extra ships. I have

3 Tie Fighter (2 Core, 1 Exp)
1 Tie Intercepter
1 Y Wing
2 X Wing (1 Core, 1 Exp)

My son and I are both going to play so I'm trying to rig us up the best 50 points out I can while trying things out. Currently I'm looking at the following.

Imperial:
Soontir Fel in Interceptor with Elusiveness
Howlrunner in the Tie with Determination

Rebel:
Biggs Darklighter X-Wing with R2D2'
Rookie Pilote X-Wing

50 Points seems really hard to build with. I could see a lot more options at 60; but FFG's inability to keep so much of the Wave 1/2 in stock means most of our people only managed to pick up Core Sets so 50 is what we're going with for now. I think the T.O. plans on going up in points every week by like 5 or 10. I got lucky to find the 4 extra ships that I did. I visited 3 gamestores that had nothing, target and finally found the 4 I got from Barnes & Noble and that was literally all they had and I had to ask the worker to check the back for me.

Anyway, do the lists look okay? Think they'll perform well or are there better 50 point combos?

-------------
Edit:
Played a game with my son using the aforementioned lists. He played Imperial and I played Rebel's. (His Choice)

I smoked him. He managed to get the shields off of Bigsgs but my first volley took Sontir out and after that it was just me chasing Howlrunner down as Biggs regenerated his shields. We're going to play again later tonight swapping sides. I know my son isn't the sharpest player so I'm hoping that the quick loss may be due more to him playing against me than the Empire grouping being a poor choice. I guess I'll find out if he beats me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
My suggestion is buy another core set, youll be just as appreciative of the additional dice and templates as the extra ships. You will then have some good variety and plenty of squad building options for a 70 pt game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
At 50 points I would play Wedge Antilles + Rookie Pilot for the Rebels.

I don't think 50 is actually a good point limit for the Empire, but I would definitely take 3-4 ships rather than 2. If pressed, I'd probably fly something like Night Beast, Dark Curse, and an Alpha Squadron Pilot...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Moore
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Hey Joe welcome to X-wing. Shame your in springfield.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Flesch
United States
Chatham
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Dance Dino, Dance!
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay; so I played against my son again earlier using the Empire and while he did better and survived longer he still failed to take down one of my ships before I got him off the board. Maybe he just isn't that skilled at guessing my direction; but I'm sure it will come. He also had a bum dice roll where at Range 1 an X-Wing got a shot at Soontir and failed to inflict any hits.

@Jeremy Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I won a 2nd core set in a math trade that just wrapped up. Although I have yet to hear from the guy who is supposed to send it to me which is starting to upset me a little since the trade results were posted on the 3rd.

@Robert So just go no upgrades for the Reb's? And I can def do 3 Tie's, I just wanted to squeeze in a ship that has 3 attack.

@Chad Yeah, the game has a firmer foothold in places with my other friends. Chicago, Peoria, Champaign. Springfield is a hotbed of nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swampy Crocker
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vorpal Sword wrote:
At 50 points I would play Wedge Antilles + Rookie Pilot for the Rebels.

I don't think 50 is actually a good point limit for the Empire, but I would definitely take 3-4 ships rather than 2. If pressed, I'd probably fly something like Night Beast, Dark Curse, and an Alpha Squadron Pilot...

I have to agree with Vorpal Sword on this. The empire's strength lies in numbers, not elite pilots. Also, Howlrunner is better at squad based play over one other ship (especially an interceptor who would rather use its agility to bob and weave).

I like Howlrunner + Swarm Tactics, Night Beast and Winged Gundark. (I know no interceptor, but that's how the empire works.)

If you want to use the interceptor, Turr Phenir, Academy Pilot and Obsidian Squadron or Howlrunner + Swarm, Alpha Squadron and Academy Pilot.

On the rebels
If you want the Y-wing Dutch+Ion Cannon Turret+R2-Astromech and a Rookie Pilot.

Most of all, have fun and "Fly Casual."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Imperials I would take 3 ships instead of 2. Also, Howlrunner is a lot of points to just boost 1 ship. Here's one of the squads that I'd fly if it were me:
Backstabber 16
Dark Curse 16
Alpha Pilot 18

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
i would go with rebels, best if just a single chewy falcon + gunner + determination for a straight 50 points.

for your set, i would go with gold Ywing + ions and Red sqd Xwing + R2D2. The Ywing is extremely powerful at lower pointages due to the more 1v1 nature of the combat, where the ion turret really dominates, and R2D2 is very broken in smaller games as well. with the remaining 2 points I chose to upgrade the Xwing to an elite mook, since the chance of your opponent flying the lower level mooks is much higher than usual, and you can also get to kill them before they get a chance to fire back, hence making your R2D2 repairs even more effective

imperials i would go with Turr + vet instincts (which you do not have, so probably plonk in a determination instead) and 2x academy TIEs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B D
msg tools
To improve the Imperial side, I'd try to find a Firespray to purchase. Then you could fly Bounty Hunter with Backstabber, or Bounty Hunter + Gunner with an Academy Pilot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Moore
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
[q="

@Chad Yeah, the game has a firmer foothold in places with my other friends. Chicago, Peoria, Champaign. Springfield is a hotbed of nothing.[/q]

Really, Cause I'm In De Kalb and it's like a barren wasteland of players. I'v had to convinve my friends to play.. and it's with my stuff. : /

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Flesch
United States
Chatham
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Dance Dino, Dance!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha! Well at least I'm not alone. I don't know if you play any other games; but it seems to be popular amongst miniature gamers of all scores. I'm an avid Warhammer player and its a pretty popular side game at GT's like Adepticon and such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can find an A-wing, I'd go with Luke + R2-D2 and a prototype pilot.
If you can find an A-wing and Millennium Falcon, consider just Luke + R2-D2 + Push the Limit + Engine Upgrade + Proton Torpedo.

In short, Luke + R2-D2 is borderline broken for small point limits where your opponent can't field enough ships to deal with him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Flesch
United States
Chatham
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Dance Dino, Dance!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well we went with the following.

I ran:
Biggs with R2 and Rookie X-Wing.

Kid ran:
Howlrunner with Swarm, Academy Tie and Alpha Interceptor.

We each played 2 games.

My game 1 VS. 2 Interceptor Saber Sq. each with Stealth Device and Determination. Win for me with no loss of ship.

Game 2 VS. Wedge with R2 and an A-Wing Prototype Pilot.
Again win for me with no loss of ship although this time I did end with some damage.

My kid played 2 games against Rebels both times. 1 against the Wedge-R2, Proto A-Wing guy and won. His 2nd game I'm unsure what he played but he lost.

A good first night of gaming was had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Moore
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I used to play WH40K but got out of it.. again, it's not fun to play when it's only you that does. Though, I have thought about maybe getting back into it. I'm still debating that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.