Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing my first game yesterday, Valeros soloed Brigandoom!

I had decided from the start that my strategy would be to go Farmhouse -> Waterfront -> Woods in an attempt to clear things out. Of course no plan survives contact with the enemy.

I was making reasonable progress Through the Farmhouse, but I hit onto 2 Locked Passages, I met a Bandit but failed to clear out the location. I had another loss or two due to bad resource management so I decided to move on to the Waterfront. At the Waterfront I just couldn't seem to make things happen, I was getting nicked left and right and thought I was going to have to crawl back to Sandpoint a defeated soul. I came across a second Bandit though, defeated him and cleared the location successfully but not without one more nick for my troubles.

At this point I was down to a mere 8 HP, but decided to hunt down this villain even though he had somewhere to run. An early encounter with a Werewolf struck me yet another blow and brought me to 6 HP. At this point I thought I was defeated but took one last look at my resources, 2 Longswords, a Shortsword, 2 Wooden shields, and a trusty Soldier fighting by my side. I decided that I must go on.

I started plowing through the Woods, and quickly found the villain. I bested him, but he ran away to the Farmhouse that started my adventure. With the woods closed behind me I followed him this place that seemed so normal on the outside. I'm not sure if this place was truly magic or if it just seemed so in my weakened state. Every turn inside the house seemed to be another Locked Passage that I could not break though. The Villain sent a minion or two though them occasionally to try and stop us, but we quickly vanquished them. Finally with no more minions and seeing that I was relentless in my pursuit he faced me once again much to his regret.

Sadly the only evidence of his past misdeed on him was a useless potion. With the foe vanquished the soldier and I limped back to Sandpoint to rest up for another adventure.

----------------

Narrative aside, when I was down to the 8 HP mark I thought the adventure was hopeless but decided to explore a few more times. When I was down to 6HP I thought that was it, but I really looked at the cards I had. Everything was rechargeable and the 2 shields should prevent the loss of any of the cards. I did lose the Shortsword to something, but I was in the rhythm, pretty much rolling 1d10+1d8+1d6+1d4+3 for most attacks. You always talk about getting the deck down to that expected pattern in things like Magic and Dominion, and this was that perfect small predictable deck. I'm sure I could have come across something that could have spelled my doom, but it fit a great narrative and was exciting to forge on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of characters become ultra-efficient when their deck is empty or near empty, which I kind of like. Of course, meeting an Enchanter when you are that low really messes your day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.