Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
62 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Board Game: Love Letter
Love Letter» Forums » General

Subject: Love Letter - Are people buying this AND making a custom version or is it just piracy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: IP [+] [View All]
Daniel James
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Cyclades fanMicrobadge: Descent 2nd Edition fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: Nexus Ops fanMicrobadge: BattleLore Second Edition fan
Having recently bought two versions of Love Letter and bought some custom wooden hearts from a board gaming site I thought I'd come here to see if people had bought any customised hearts/letters/tokens etc.

What I have found is that there are plenty of people who have made a copy of Love Letter, with some really good themes and without a doubt there is some creative talent out there...but...without meaning to sound like a party pooper, people are still buying the actual game itself aren't they?

It is (for the money) one of the best games in my collection. £7.00 is all it cost me to buy entry to the AEG version and I picked up the Kanai Factory Limited Edition for £8.00, so there really is no reason to avoid buying a copy as it is so very cheap.

I usually see many additions to board games to alter the gameplay or fix a problem, the Fury of Dracula fan made screen is a great example, I have on the other hand not seen a game that is in print being copied in its entirety.

What do others think on this topic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: InMotion "Cuisine a la Card" Contest participantMicrobadge: IELLO "Uchronia" Contest participantMicrobadge: Game Salute "Ruse" Contest participantMicrobadge: Artipia Games "Kitchen Rush" Contest participantMicrobadge: Concordia fan
Captain Murdercasket wrote:
What I have found is that there are plenty of people who have made a copy of Love Letter, with some really good themes and without a doubt there is some creative talent out there...but...without meaning to sound like a party pooper, people are still buying the actual game itself aren't they?
I assume not. Why would they?

It is (for the money) one of the best games in my collection. £7.00 is all it cost me to buy entry to the AEG version and I picked up the Kanai Factory Limited Edition for £8.00, so there really is no reason to avoid buying a copy as it is so very cheap.
Or maybe no reason to not buy 10!

I'm not sure what there is to think about. People want to make their own copy, and thus do so. If they were selling their reproductions, then maybe that would be something to discuss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Griggs
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 2017 Silver SupporterMicrobadge: I pimped my AgricolaMicrobadge: Scythe fanMicrobadge: 51st State: Master Set fanMicrobadge: Golden Board Game Collector
The fan-made versions began when everyone wanted to buy/play LL and could not buy it. 16 cards is easy to replicate. I think it sort of took on a life of it's own from that point once everyone realized that with some Internet-sourced art and a few hours, they could create their own custom version.

I have really enjoyed seeing what everyone is doing.

My vote for oddest LL re-theme is the Soviet deck:

Ugliest re-theme:

Best pre-teen re-theme:

and my favorite is the Adventure Time re-theme:

In a recent interview, AEG stated that they are looking to do variant art decks now. I think this is a strong testament to our community. First, to AEG for tacitly allowing the variants and second, to the community for such an outpouring of creativity. Would AEG have considered re-themes if the community hadn't done all of this?

Also, I believe a thorough search of the message board will locate AEG's position that they are OK with people sharing their variants as long as they don't share their full card set so that other can just print them and play them. This is why most variant sets (at least early on) didn't provide flat art, but rather pictures of the resulting work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel James
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Cyclades fanMicrobadge: Descent 2nd Edition fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: Nexus Ops fanMicrobadge: BattleLore Second Edition fan
bgriggs wrote:
Also, I believe a thorough search of the message board will locate AEG's position that they are OK with people sharing their variants as long as they don't share their full card set so that other can just print them and play them. This is why most variant sets (at least early on) didn't provide flat art, but rather pictures of the resulting work.
Ah!

I didn't spot that they had made a mention of copies on BGG forums.

Could you link me to that post as I would like to read it?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
Microbadge: If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking
I've made one custom version (still in files) and have bought three copies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
Microbadge: If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking
curtc wrote:
[P]eople are still buying the actual game itself aren't they?
Did you mean so ... wouldn't?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Danish
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Stonemaier ChampionMicrobadge: Social ScientistMicrobadge: Arkham Horror: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Descent 2nd Edition fanMicrobadge: The Dice Tower fan
I bought it first, then made and printed a re-theme (Firefly). We play both versions depending on the mood and other players. Definitely wanted to make sure AEG got their due for a great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malte Kühle
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
designer
play or die
badge
It is not enough to win - everyone else must also lose
Microbadge: Simpsons fanMicrobadge: Quodd Heroes fanMicrobadge: Cupcake Empire fanMicrobadge: Gaia Project fanMicrobadge: Simpsons fan
I bought it at Essen '12, then made a couple of LotR and GoT rethemes and will now buy the german pegasus edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Hammermueller
United States
Cedar Grove
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Fallout fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Deadpool fanMicrobadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Train Gamer

Thanks.
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/901018/about-the-re-themes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: InMotion "Cuisine a la Card" Contest participantMicrobadge: IELLO "Uchronia" Contest participantMicrobadge: Game Salute "Ruse" Contest participantMicrobadge: Artipia Games "Kitchen Rush" Contest participantMicrobadge: Concordia fan
HuginnGreiling wrote:
curtc wrote:
[P]eople are still buying the actual game itself aren't they?
Did you mean so ... wouldn't?
No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel James
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
jdanish wrote:
I bought it first, then made and printed a re-theme (Firefly). We play both versions depending on the mood and other players. Definitely wanted to make sure AEG got their due for a great game!
That is how I feel about it as well. I think it is fine to own a copy and make a custom version.

thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel James
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
hammermh wrote:

Thanks.
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/901018/about-the-re-themes
Thanks for that link, AEG have been really very good here haven't they?

I guess they are hoping that people are actually buying the game and then making their own too, I hope that is truly what is happening as it is such a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel James
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
curtc wrote:

Or maybe no reason to not buy 10!

I'm not sure what there is to think about. People want to make their own copy, and thus do so. If they were selling their reproductions, then maybe that would be something to discuss.
From gallery of Captain Murdercasket

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: This is how my opponents look after they lose a game against me...Microbadge: Fortress Ameritrash fanMicrobadge: Ameritrash fanMicrobadge: Ameritrash fanMicrobadge: This is how my opponents look after they lose a game against me...

Bought the Tempest version and preordered the Kanai version. Will probably skip the L5R version. I've also made a PnP version with some great artwork found here on BGG.

I've done a lot of PnP games, and I've found that making your own good version of a game usually costs more than just buying the damn thing. It's definitely more time-consuming. Most of the time I believe that people are making their own versions not to save a buck, but because it's fun.

Love Letter probably comes about even on cost if you want to do a quick and dirty version, but most of the custom versions I've seen around weren't quick and dirty. If it was about saving a buck people would be playing it with recipe cards with pencil drawings. They aren't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard III
United Kingdom
MILTON KEYNES
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG posterMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Platinum Board Game Collector
Good thread! I can't see a problem with people making their own copies of any game. They clearly do (and I am not referring to just LL here) - and in all sorts of ways. As someone else here has already said part of this is a combination of it being "fun" and a 'personalisation' thing. Also as someone has said it shouldn't be seen as a problem as long as people aren't profiteering. I had originally shunned LL in its Tempest form and it was only on seeing the re-themes (the Casablanca one in particular!) that I got interested. I started thinking about ideas of my own for some and half a dozen or so quickly came to mind - the first being 'The plot to assassinate Hitler' and others being 'Tinker, Tailor Soldier, Spy' and 'The Wars of the Roses'. Following this I went on to trying to identify a meaningful re-theme that I might be interested in and for each letter of the alphabet and for which cards (and artwork) might be easily assigned - the key criteria was interest to me - J for example is taken by Josephine as in Napoleon and Josephine and M is taken by Mata Hari. Some of the twenty six (actually I came up with a few extras) are in the personal production pipeline - the WOTR version includes brief character descriptions - so can play as a mini history lesson and my TTSS version includes quotations from the characters like one or two of the versions posted to the LL Images section. When some of these are finally complete I'll share some photographs. As to buying the game - I have three copies of the Tempest version on order - one for me and two for work colleagues. I also hope to snap up the original reprint that's now out.

I think the key message here is that we do it because it is fun and we are not doing it to save money or indeed rob the publishers/creators of their rightful due.

It would be more constructive I think to have a thread on rules variants - I have introduced an extra card into a couple of my sets. I wonder if anyone else has done similar or is thinking of doing so.

' hope some of this makes sense. (I loved the Lenin set too btw!)

Quick but kind regards, RIII
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel James
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
Knyfe wrote:
I had originally shunned LL in its Tempest form and it was only on seeing the re-themes (the Casablanca one in particular!) that I got interested.
Casablanca is one of my all time favourite films. I think I may knock up a version with that theme myself !

I am finding it so interesting reading other gamers take on making a copy of a game. It really does seem that people do own a licensed copy AND also make fan edits, which is just amazing.

I work at a company that designs educational software and we have problems with piracy, we don't release demo software any more as it can be cracked and then shared on the torrent scene. It would seem that board gamers know that pushing the industry that they love into a critical position isn't a good idea. Video gamers on the other hand seem to be fairly OK with ripping games with no hard feelings.

I guess board gamers are just a cut above?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Manasan
Philippines
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: CCG playerMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica - I am a CylonMicrobadge: Ameritrash fanMicrobadge: Dune fanMicrobadge: Level 99 Games fan
I am shocked at the suggestion that someone might "pirate" game mechanics. Surely nobody here would copy someone else's game mechanics wholesale, slap on a more popular theme, denigrate the original game as "a tech demo" or "a mechanic looking for a game", and then promote their new game as "{Game Mechanic} With A Purpose".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I give out citizenship starsMicrobadge: ScientistMicrobadge: Wing Commander fanMicrobadge: I love my Gamer SpouseMicrobadge: One does not simply recognize great geeks. Not with 10,000 stars could you do this...
Still waiting for a localized version so for now its my own deck or nothing. This is a game for non gamers. Cannot bother them with a foreign language.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Not sure if condescending or just very closed-minded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cennamo
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I have at least 2,000 logged game plays!Microbadge: I love solo gaming!Microbadge:  The few, the proud, the exhausted... BGG.CON Team Geek!Microbadge: Parent of Two GirlsMicrobadge: Endgame fan
I made a copy before I was able to actually buy it... Made it low ink and with random wacky characters (Paul Blart was a guard, the Count from Sesame Street with a bow was the Countess)...we still use my fan copy with newbies due to the lightened silly theme...draws them in.

This game is excellent and its that embracing of the community that will help it along... My non-hardcore-gamer friends would never sit and make their own, but almost everyone wants to buy an actual copy once they've played it.

As long as these fan-versions don't get sold or put up for others to PnP than its all in good fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel James
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
curtc wrote:
Not sure if condescending or just very closed-minded.
The former devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel James
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
PooEater wrote:
I made a copy before I was able to actually buy it... Made it low ink and with random wacky characters (Paul Blart was a guard, the Count from Sesame Street with a bow was the Countess)...we still use my fan copy with newbies due to the lightened silly theme...draws them in.

This game is excellent and its that embracing of the community that will help it along... My non-hardcore-gamer friends would never sit and make their own, but almost everyone wants to buy an actual copy once they've played it.

As long as these fan-versions don't get sold or put up for others to PnP than its all in good fun!
I had noticed that there is an 'Adventure Time' version available in full for download on BGG. Which is a shame.

After doing a search on Google for Print and Play Love Letter I can see a few other places to download full sets too.

Having only got back into board gaming in a meaningful way in the last twelve months I wasn't sure if the fan versions were a big deal or not.

Having said that, I think if I ever make a game I'll make one with more cards !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
Microbadge: G. K. Chesterton fanMicrobadge: HomeschoolerMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Parent of Two GirlsMicrobadge: Parent of Five Boys
I designed and made the Dr Who version, and also purchased a copy of the Tempest edition at my FLGS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel James
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
Stormcow wrote:
I am shocked at the suggestion that someone might "pirate" game mechanics. Surely nobody here would copy someone else's game mechanics wholesale, slap on a more popular theme, denigrate the original game as "a tech demo" or "a mechanic looking for a game", and then promote their new game as "{Game Mechanic} With A Purpose".
Hahaha !

Yes, I had noticed that the same mechanics are rinse and repeated ad infinitum in board games. I think that is why I am so bowled over with Vlaada Chvátil games, they seem to be unique, although don't flame me as I haven't played everything!

The same thing has been happening in video gaming for ages with endless FPS's with the same mechanics, it is part of the reason I left that hobby behind a while ago. The success of a type of game dictates what will be released in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel James
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
overtheboard wrote:
I designed and made the Dr Who version, and also purchased a copy of the Tempest edition at my FLGS.

YES !

I saw that version, it is great. I am a huge Dr Who fan so it very much caught my eye.

I wonder if a Dr Who monsters version is viable.

Given the popularity of Cthulhu being pasted onto many board and card games I am amazed that nobody has done one, if even just for a good parody. Who would be closest to Cthulhu though? goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |