United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
mbmbmbmbmb
So we know that you can't use a spell without a valid target.

By extension, is it forbidden to explore an empty location?

By further extension, since Kyra's ability states it should be used "Instead of your first exploration on a turn," do you have to be able to explore in order to use it?

I closed a location with her in Poison Pill and wanted her to spend a couple turns after that just healing while Valinos kept looking for the villain, but got hung up on that wording after banishing all the cards. I decided I could stay there and heal, but it looked like the question hasn't been asked, so I thought I would. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
We are living our lives... Abound with so much information... Come on, let go of the remote,
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to say no based on this:

rulebook page 9 wrote:
Explore: When you explore, flip over the top card of your current location deck.
Explore requires you to flip over a card at your current location, if there isn't one to flip, you can't explore there.

edit - also found this

rulebook page 13 Closing a Location wrote:
Characters may move to closed locations and, if there are cards there, may explore and encounter those cards as normal.

Which says you can only explore a closed location if there are cards there. An example of a closed location with cards would be the General Store, which has you place cards there when you permanently close it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I saw those in the rule book (PDF search FTW) and the General Store stuff has been covered in this forum. Still feel there's ambiguity with the ability since it says "instead."

But thanks for the POV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eracer68 wrote:
I'm going to say no based on this:

rulebook page 9 wrote:
Explore: When you explore, flip over the top card of your current location deck.
Explore requires you to flip over a card at your current location, if there isn't one to flip, you can't explore there.

Careful with that. Flipping may or may not be a cost. It reads more like an effect.

My suspicion is that Kyra's ability is supposed to be worded that she's giving up her normal "4th-step-on-your-turn chance to explore" which was shortened for brevity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyra: Oh, know I've explored this area completely. Now I can't heal myself.
Me: WTF?

Yes, she can heal herself or others there. INSTEAD of exploring. Just because you can't actually explore there, doesn't mean that you can't do something else that uses the same phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Daniel
Czech Republic
Ostrava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ofc she can ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W McG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I read that as a card needs to be present to explore, but not to heal herself... so I would say yes, she can heal herself even if no card is present to explore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
We are living our lives... Abound with so much information... Come on, let go of the remote,
mbmbmbmbmb
The consensus appears to be there does not need to be an available card at a location to explore for Kyra to use her ability. I humbly bow to the masses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Some locations still have a function even after closing and without having additional cards there, like Apothecary and Thassalonian Dungeon, so I would say you do not need to flip a card to perform your "explore" step there in order to heal yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tssfulk wrote:
Kyra: Oh, know I've explored this area completely. Now I can't heal myself.
Me: WTF?

Yes, she can heal herself or others there. INSTEAD of exploring. Just because you can't actually explore there, doesn't mean that you can't do something else that uses the same phase.

Pretty much exactly my thought process.

Yeah, sounds like consensus is building toward allowing the heal, even if there's still some grey area. When there's grey area, I'll prefer what's thematically correct. I'll stick with that answer until I hear otherwise. Thanks, everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy Durgin
United States
Tijeras
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides, if she does this, she is giving up the chance to move to a different location and do something useful, so it's not like there isn't a cost for the action.

I think it's fine for Kyra to use her ability in a closed location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyra can use her power in any location, closed or not.
She can also explore the location after having healed - by discarding a Blessing (as long as she used a different kind of divine Card to heal with). Healing only prevents her from doing the first (free) exploration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
It actually doesn't matter what kind of Divine card she heals with as it counts as a blank card with the Divine trait, since it is a hero power.Just like all hero discard powers, you can use any card and still use the same type of card later on in the check. Basically, the reasoning behind it is that you are not discarding that card for the card's power, so you're not actually playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.