Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Schloesser
United States
Jefferson City
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With 7 players, we decided to stick with one game. We opted to play Formula De Mini, using several variants:

1) Only check for collision damage if cars are adjacent in a turn; and
2) When stopping in the pits, roll an “8” sided die. A player can opt to remain one more turn and roll the die again.

My car obviously was having the same trouble my real-life Rodeo is having, as it sputtered and stalled coming out of the starting gate. I fell WAY behind the pack. Robert was the early front-runner, perfectly nailing turn-after-turn. Eventually, however, he missed two turns, allowing the rest of the group to close the gap.

From that point, the lead changed hands often. Even I managed a brief moment as the leader of the pack. However, engine checks were taking their toll on everyone, and our stack of chips was running low. I was actually in the best position, holding 14 chips entering the final lap. Only Rhonda and Jennifer opted to pull into the pits to replenish their supply. Robert, down to just one chip, zoomed past, taking his shot at glory.

Robert held the lead in the final lap until the halfway point, eventually blowing his engine to the delight of the crowd. Going into the final turn, Jennifer, Gail and I were all in contention, but were all down to our last chip. Gail and I failed to make the turn, and overshot it on our next turn, knocking us out of contention. If either one of us had made that turn, we would have been in a higher gear than Jennifer, and would likely have raced past her to claim the victory. It was not to be. Jennifer kept herself in third gear to avoid possible engine damage, and coasted to the victory.

Finals: Jennifer, Alison, Rhonda; everyone else OUT

Ratings: Robert 9, Alison 7.5, Jennifer 7.5, Greg 7, Gail 6.5, Paul 6, Rhonda 6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So did you feel like that session was too luck-determined? (I am thinking of buying it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schloesser
United States
Jefferson City
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No doubt, there is quite a bit of luck involved in Formula De, but I don't mind it. It is a race game, and if it was too calculating, it would bog the game down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.