Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott
United States
denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a gamer who has trouble locating other players, sometimes I get a lot of enjoyment from reading rules. What games have rulebooks that are so interesting that a person could just enjoy reading them?

I'm sure that there are a lot of RPG's that would be great but I have no interest in those (this is Boardgame Geek, after all). I suspect that some of the mini's games have pretty cool rulebooks.

Thanks!

*Also, the longer, the better. I Wouldn't want to spend a lot of money on a wussy 10 page rulebook!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What are the funnest, most involved rulebooks to read?
Just about any Games Workshop rulebook has a lot of fluff text in it that set's the theme for the game. Offhand I can think of the Bloodbowl, Warhammer, 40K and Lord of the Rings rulebooks as being entertaining to read, but the Man O War rulebooks are my favorites. They are very entertaining as they have many stand alone short stories throughout the rules that pertain to the ship or rules being discussed.

You can download all 3 of the MOW rulebooks here:

http://www.minds.nuim.ie/~decdoc/?page_id=2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What are the funnest rulebooks to read?
I enjoy reading the Zombies! rules leaflet. Amusing.

Memoir's scenarios are very interesting to read as is the history in the new Axis & Allies manual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dubin
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Checkallday wrote:
What games have rulebooks that are so interesting that a person could just enjoy reading them?

Credo!

Scribet CVG:

Other practices were bizarre. For instance, Simeon the Stylite served God by living on a 60 foot high pillar, starting a craze which swept the East until his desert was crowded with imitators, whereupon he moved to a more desolate spot and higher pillar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lott
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I find the Pax Brittanica rule book amusing because of the historical notes, but only from the edge of a jaded historian that I am, and lack any compassion for people who romaticize any culture or period. That being, the PB rule book is a ride through my own cyncism (or how ever spell it.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that you nixed RPG's, but by far the funniest game-related things I ever read were Paranoia rules and modules...

Geoff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Go Huskies!...oh, well
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to recall being amused by parts of the Duel of Ages rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'd like the Warhammer 40k 4th edition rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Watson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Sigh.
badge
Yawn.
mbmbmbmbmb
I really say that thinking about all the awesome possibilities of conflict makes the ASL manual enjoyable for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Anticole
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
As one of the guys who wrote the handbook for 'Nature of the Beast', we lightened it up with flavor text and little tidbits here and there. The highlight might be 'Nickel', a cynical city rat who makes sarcastic comments throughout the rulebook.

We've got the bulk of it available as a pdf download at our website. Brew a nice cup of tea and settle down for a couple dozen pages of handbook heaven...
http://www.nobthegame.com/NOB_Downloads.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
engelstein wrote:
I know that you nixed RPG's, but by far the funniest game-related things I ever read were Paranoia rules and modules...

Only rivaled by Tales of the Floating Vagabond - also a great read.

For boardgame rules, I have to agree with the nomination of Credo - good historical background to the Council. I'm sure that there are others out there, but none come to mind right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yegods
United States
Campbell
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i think that the Battlestations rulebook is a great read. full of stories, and situationals, and examples and pictures. it's large too, so it'll take some time to get through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the Battlestations manual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Without doubt Panzer Pranks is the most humorous rulebook ever written.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thi Nguyen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Not a rulebook per-se:

But Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go is a sort of second book of go, which is not only incredibly clear, beautifully written, warm, and entertaining, but is occasionally so freaking funny that I spit my tea.

Including: "See this diagram? White's position is stronger than black's. If you do not understand this, this is why you are a novice. It is easy to not understand this. Every morning, create this position on your board and chant to yourself, 'White's position is stronger than black's. White's position is stronger than black's."

And: "When your opponent plays this position, your hand should be trembling to play the cut. You should be scarely able to contain yourself. If your heart does not yearn to make the cut, you are no go player."

Besides this, it taught me more about playing go than anything else I can explain. It's worth learning to play go just to read this book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Riedy
United States
Glen Ridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"I AM A BANANA!"

Sorry. Keep wanting to do that every time I see your avatar.

My spoon is too big.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Wilbur III
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not enlightening but...
The rulebook to Globbo is hysterical. Actually the rules are a lot better than the game itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything by Bruno Faidutti, particularly in French. I don't know whether it's my imperfect understanding, but the writing seems to be amusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Humphries
Philippines
Unspecified
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Without a doubt Panzer Pranks http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/3468 is the most hilarious rulebook I've ever read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
there is a hilarious parody RPG called HOL made by white wolf. The whole book is handwritten and it is a great read, and seems like it would be a fun game too. I just love the system first you roll on the chart chart to tell you what chart to roll on and etc. Great fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeons & Dragons!.... NOT! Hehehe.laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Rumsey
United States
Kissimmee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to read Murphy's Rules and Murphy's Rules 2, two books put out by Steve Jackson Games. These books contains tons of funny comic strips making fun of rules in games of all kinds.

I still get a kick out of reading mine from time to time.

http://www.sjgames.com/murphys/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Contact me to play a RPG forum game!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule books for all of the factions for VOR are fantastic. They are well written, have great and original concepts and incredible artwork.

VOR #4977

If you search around you can find the sourcebooks for super low cost from 50 to 90% off in gaming stores, since the game died (not due to bad rules or playability.)

The game died due to FASA getting sold out and instead of giving Skuzzy back the rules and such, they only gave him part of the rights back to the game and he spent years in court trying to get it all together. I think he finally gave up...bad cess to FASA and the evil corp that bought them...one guess who...hmmmm! (hint: who has purchased all the other companies and corrupted their rules and dumbed down mini play?)

It is a GREAT game and a ton of fun to play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Vrabel
United Kingdom
Cambridge
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Another vote for the ASL rulebook, just because it contains so much stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the Cheapass games rules sheets are pretty funny. They've got a lot of cheek. The games are not so good, but the rules are funny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.