VideoGamingAt30 .com
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Near the end of the last adventure, Lini sadly had to banish one of their two cure spells in hand in order to close a location and bring us to victory. After the adventure, we had plenty of spells to replace it with, but with Lini's discard power, they wanted to get the cure back instead.

Since it's a basic card, can Lini rebuild their deck with a basic from the box instead of having to build with spells that are much less suited to their abilities?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Partridge
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
She doesn't need to accept a spell from another party member. If her deck is below the number of spells she needs, you can grab a Cure during the rebuild step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
We are living our lives... Abound with so much information... Come on, let go of the remote,
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to use what's in your deck, discard pile, or what is buried under your character. If you don't have enough cards of a particular type, that is when you can get a "basic" card from the box.

rules pg 19 wrote:
After each scenario, you must rebuild your character deck. Start by combining your discard pile with your hand, your character deck, and any cards you buried under your character card; you may then freely trade cards with other players. Your deck must end up meeting the Cards List requirements on your character card, along with any deck adjustments on your role card,
If you can’t construct a valid deck from the cards your group has available because you don’t have enough of certain card types, choose the extra cards you need from the box, choosing only cards with the Basic trait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Phillips
United States
Knoxville
TN
flag msg tools
mbmb
eracer68 wrote:
You have to use what's in your deck, discard pile, or what is buried under your character. If you don't have enough cards of a particular type, that is when you can get a "basic" card from the box.

rules pg 19 wrote:
After each scenario, you must rebuild your character deck. Start by combining your discard pile with your hand, your character deck, and any cards you buried under your character card; you may then freely trade cards with other players. Your deck must end up meeting the Cards List requirements on your character card, along with any deck adjustments on your role card,
If you can’t construct a valid deck from the cards your group has available because you don’t have enough of certain card types, choose the extra cards you need from the box, choosing only cards with the Basic trait.

If you can't construct a valid deck from the cards your *group* has....

So, since the op stated they had enough spells to replace it, they *cannot* pull a cure from the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W McG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if you banish a basic during play 'to the box' and then in rebuild don't have enough basics to populate your deck, can you grab one of the banished basics that's 'in the box'?

I'm assuming no. That's the way I've been playing. Banish means completely gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New_Sheriff wrote:
So if you banish a basic during play 'to the box' and then in rebuild don't have enough basics to populate your deck, can you grab one of the banished basics that's 'in the box'?

I'm assuming no. That's the way I've been playing. Banish means completely gone.

After a game you use any cards you found, not just basics. If you had great luck and found five Elites you can use you can keep them all.

Then only time the Basic trait matters is if you come up short after rebuilding for a type and need to go to the box, and in the future when they start getting removed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
We are living our lives... Abound with so much information... Come on, let go of the remote,
mbmbmbmbmb
No, its not "basic" cards you need to have in your deck, just types of cards (e.g. spells, weapons, etc.). Basic only comes into play if, for example, your party doesn't have enough weapons so that every one gets the minimum number in their character decks. At that point in time you go to the box and draw a "basic" card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Partridge
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cgrater wrote:
eracer68 wrote:

rules pg 19 wrote:

If you can't construct a valid deck from the cards your *group* has....

So, since the op stated they had enough spells to replace it, they *cannot* pull a cure from the box.

Oh, man. Party meeting before the next session. Actually, if we played it my way, it would be easy to bend rules. Glad this came up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W McG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Throknor wrote:
New_Sheriff wrote:

After a game you use any cards you found, not just basics. If you had great luck and found five Elites you can use you can keep them all.

Then only time the Basic trait matters is if you come up short after rebuilding for a type and need to go to the box, and in the future when they start getting removed.

Thanks! What I mean is, does a banished card ever see play again? For instance, if in scenario 1 I encounter, defeat, and banish a werewolf. When rebuilding locations for scenario 2, is that banished monster shuffled back into the monster deck for possible population?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New_Sheriff wrote:
Thanks! What I mean is, does a banished card ever see play again? For instance, if in scenario 1 I encounter, defeat, and banish a werewolf. When rebuilding locations for scenario 2, is that banished monster shuffled back into the monster deck for possible population?

Yes, I believe you would as you are just banishing them to the box (unless there's a card I haven't come across yet that tells you otherwise).

I think that once you get to the third adventure pack, you will start removing banished basic monsters from the box when you beat them, so that they don't come into play at all anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W McG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eracer68 wrote:

Yes, I believe you would as you are just banishing them to the box (unless there's a card I haven't come across yet that tells you otherwise).

I think that once you get to the third adventure pack, you will start removing banished basic monsters from the box when you beat them, so that they don't come into play at all anymore.

Ok thanks. I've actually been banishing them and not allowing those items, weapons, monsters, etc to see play again over the course of that scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the rule book, I could see how it would be confusing.

rules pg 10 wrote:
Banish: put it back in the box, shuffling it in with the other cards of the same type (thus losing it for good).

The "thus losing it for good" seems to imply that you would never see it again. However, the "shuffling it in with the other cards of the same type", says that it stays available for the next scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
Cape Coral
Florida
flag msg tools
Solo Gamers are NOT lonely!
badge
Together We Game Alone (1 Player Guild)
mbmbmbmbmb
eracer68 wrote:
Looking at the rule book, I could see how it would be confusing.

rules pg 10 wrote:
Banish: put it back in the box, shuffling it in with the other cards of the same type (thus losing it for good).

The "thus losing it for good" seems to imply that you would never see it again. However, the "shuffling it in with the other cards of the same type", says that it stays available for the next scenario.

Yup. The "losing it for good" pretty much means your character does for the rest of that scenario. It's not in your discard, it's not buried, etc. However, you could possibly get it back if there aren't enough of that card to fill up your requirements in the end from your group like discussed above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eracer68 wrote:
However, the "shuffling it in with the other cards of the same type", says that it stays available for the next scenario.

It could actually show up again in *that* scenario, if something called for a card to be drawn out of the box... we played that the "banished" cards just went into a pile that got sorted out at the end and then put away, but based on the rules sounds like they should go right back into the respective decks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
Cape Coral
Florida
flag msg tools
Solo Gamers are NOT lonely!
badge
Together We Game Alone (1 Player Guild)
mbmbmbmbmb
Ayeegit wrote:
eracer68 wrote:
However, the "shuffling it in with the other cards of the same type", says that it stays available for the next scenario.

It could actually show up again in *that* scenario, if something called for a card to be drawn out of the box... we played that the "banished" cards just went into a pile that got sorted out at the end and then put away, but based on the rules sounds like they should go right back into the respective decks...
\

Yes they should. Just look at it this way. If you banish a Short Sword... it's not the only Short Sword in existence. Your character just lost that particular one at that time. It goes back in the box. You could possibly get that same exact card again from a random treasure draw or something... but it represents a different Short Sword that your character found.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mechanically: the "losing it for good' statement is referring to the fact that the character cannot normally easily get that exact item back at or by the end of the scenario, that 'item' is no longer on that character, and a 'new' one has suddenly appeared in the available pool of 'items' that may appear during a scenario (even the same one).

Mechanically and thematically: if Valeros has named his greatsword Bethel, and he has to banish it for whatever reason, the greatsword card gets shuffled into the weapons. If later, maybe even during that same encounter, the group finds and acquires the greatsword, it's another greatsword, not Valeros's long lost Bethel.

There are several ways to play the cards, all but one of which lets the character easily access the cards at the end of the scenario. Revealing, Recharging, Discarding, Burying, and Banishing (in my opinion this is the order from most desirable to least desirable for a good item).

The first four (revealing, recharging, discarding, and burying) keep the card on your character, and at the end of the scenario, any card in one of these stack locations (your hand, your deck, your discard pile, or under your character) are in the pool for making your deck.

The last one, Banishing, removes the card entirely from your character and your party, placing it back into the box, and if the scenario ends before you find another, you do not have access to it normally.

The only time you might have access to it is if your party does not have enough cards to completely outfit all spots of an available type, then the hero missing the card of that type can go into the box and look for a specific one. There is a limitation on which cards are allowed to be chosen though dependent upon which adventure you are currently on. Starting out, your only options are BASIC cards, but later on that restriction changes.

So, if you're forced to banish a card, that 'specific' thematic card is gone forever, but it doesn't stop you from finding another that's identical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.