Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: Victory Conditions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kelly B
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all and massive apologies if this has been asked. I searched for quite some time before posting...

If victory conditions are not specifically stated on the scenario card (as per the rulebook, which says they are and makes no mention what to do if they aren't) then I'm assuming that victory is achieved by cornering the villain.

The rulebook has all of that in 3 different places without the complete rule: if no victory condition is on the scenario card then a win is achieved by cornering the villain.

Am I correct in this assumption and more importantly I guess, am I missing this explicit rule in the book?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct. I think the part about defeating villains mentions it when there are no open locations for it to escape to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
medwards wrote:
You are correct. I think the part about defeating villains mentions it when their are no open locations for it to escape to.

Thanks, it does indeed mention that. I imagine, however, there will be scenarios with more complex victory conditions (alluded to in another thread) and that rule might be a bit misleading (excepting of course the golden rule )

Thank you again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some scenarios (1 in the starter box) that explicitly override the default victory conditions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
medwards wrote:
There are some scenarios (1 in the starter box) that explicitly override the default victory conditions.

Thanks, it's very new to me, obviously
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
medwards wrote:

Which scenario, and what is the victory condition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RogMcK wrote:
medwards wrote:

Which scenario, and what is the victory condition?

Yeah, I couldn't find a scenario card with victory conditions on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Local Heroes scenario from the Burnt Offerings Adventure:

Quote:
If you acquire an ally, you may immediately attempt to close your location. If you fail to acquire an ally, discard the top card of the blessings deck. To win this scenario, close all locations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:

Quote:
If you acquire an ally, you may immediately attempt to close your location. If you fail to acquire an ally, discard the top card of the blessings deck. To win this scenario, close all locations.

Ah yes, there it be. Thank ye.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:

Quote:

That's IT?

It's like the difference between day and...later that same day, but still before dusk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RogMcK wrote:
Mundane wrote:

Quote:

That's IT?

It's like the difference between day and...later that same day, but still before dusk.

Too be fair, for villain based scenarios you only have to close two locations and be ready to temporarily close any others. Local Heroes is surprisingly tricky as some stacks have many allies and you may not try to close on the first ones just for the chance to acquire more. Then you find the last one is a charisma check you fail horribly and now have four more cards you must go through just to close the location. And you do that in three of them.

Or maybe that's just me. I'd have lost without that candle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Throknor wrote:

Too be fair, for villain based scenarios you only have to close two locations and be ready to temporarily close any others. Local Heroes is surprisingly tricky as some stacks have many allies and you may not try to close on the first ones just for the chance to acquire more. Then you find the last one is a charisma check you fail horribly and now have four more cards you must go through just to close the location. And you do that in three of them.

It's not about a lack of difficulty, or strategy. I can see that the game has both.

It's about a lack of variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RogMcK wrote:
Throknor wrote:

It's not about a lack of difficulty, or strategy. I can see that the game has both.

It's a card game.

I play poker with guys where the dealer calls the hand. Stud games, draw games, anacondas, high-low, hold-'em... pretty much every hand still comes down to comparing each players cards at the end. The part that makes it interesting to play is how the hands play out, not who wins.

If you don't find the game play interesting that's fine, but the game is exactly what it says it is. And they have plenty of future scenarios to shake things up once the play has been established.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Brown
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

That's a fair comment, but I'm guessing that you haven't actually experienced the scenarios yet; it's quite a big difference in play.

As to the variety over the course of the entire Adventure Path, I'll simply say that the PCs are still just getting started in the Rise of the Runelords.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.