Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Preston S
United States
Billings
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I've never liked about Quarriors is the multiple versions of each creature and spell. I'm a visual person so I find it hard to remember what each card does when they're always changing each game.

This was probably done to increase variety in the core set and randomly balance each game, but with so many expansions out now I'm thinking about cutting my creature and spell decks down to just the 'best' version of each card.

So, which version of each creature and spell does everyone think is the 'best'?

I don't mean the most powerful, scores the most glory, etc. I mean which is the most fun, thematic, and balanced taking into account the advanced capture 2 and expert culling rules.

For example

Quote:
Scavenging Goblin
Cost 2
Glory 2
* Gain +1 Quiddity when you summon Scavenging Goblin.

Strong Scavenging Goblin
Cost 3
Glory 2
* Scavenging Goblin gains +1 defense for each other Creature in your Ready Area.

Mighty Scavenging Goblin
Cost 3
Glory 2
* When Scavenging Goblin is destroyed, draw 2 dice and add them to your Active Pool.

My pick would be the Scavenging Goblin since he is one of the few 2 cost creatures in the game, summons free, and combos well with other 'for each creature' effects.

Any thoughts on other 'best' versions?

I'd love hear any opinions, the more the better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
traitor armor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll mention a few that stand out for me (assuming we're talking about all of Quarriors and not just the base game).....

For the Scavenging Goblin, I actually prefer the Mighty Scavenging Goblin. He's cheap enough that without much trouble you can buy 2 of them in a turn. When you summon him (with the star) you're either going to score for 2 or (preferably) he can die protecting something bigger and get your next 'hand' +2 dice. But I really value dice that can not only contribute to the current turn but also the next turn as well (such as the Strong Witching Hag). Also if the Discriminating Cantrip is available you can 'free summon' him to his * side to make sure he is used to full effect.

For the Ghostly Spirit.....
Quote:
Ghostly Spirit (This guy!)
Cost 3
Glory 2
Description When Ghostly Spirit is destroyed, you may cull 1 Basic Quiddity Die to return Ghostly Spirit to your Ready Area (for free).

Strong Ghostly Spirit
Cost 4
Glory 2
Description When Ghostly Spirit is destroyed, add Ghostly Spirit to your Active Pool.

Mighty Ghostly Spirit
Cost 4
Glory 2
Description When Ghostly Spirit is destroyed, set Ghostly Spirit aside until you destroy any Creature. Then roll the Ghostly Spirit: If you roll a Creature Icon, add it to your Ready Area (for free). Otherwise, add Ghostly Spirit to your Used Pile.

Corrupted Ghostly Spirit
Cost 4
Glory 3
Description Ghostly Spirit takes no damage from any opponent who rolled a Corrupted Quiddity die on his turn. You may assign damage to Ghostly Spirit up to its defense value, but it is not destroyed by its damage.

He was awesome before the Advanced and Epic rules came in......now not only is he great, but also allows you to cull your Basic Quiddity dice (which isn't even possible depending on how the wilds turn out).

For the Quake Dragon.........
Quote:
Quake Dragon
Cost 8
Glory 4
Description Destroy all Level 1 Creatures in your opponent's Ready Area when you attack with Quake Dragon (before you opponent chooses a defender).
* Burst N/A
** Burst N/A

Strong Quake Dragon
Cost 8
Glory 4
Description Creatures that are Level 2 or less cannot attack you as long as Quake Dragon is in your Ready Area (do not add their attack value to the attack total).
* Burst N/A
** Burst N/A

Mighty Quake Dragon
Cost 9
Glory 4
Description N/A
* Burst Quake Dragon gains +1 defense.
** Burst Quake Dragon gains +2 defense and you earn +2 Glory when it scores.

Quaxos' Quake Dragon - Promo
Cost 9
Glory 3
Description Quake Dragon takes no damage from opponents attacking with Quaxos' Creatures (and can be assigned damage up to its defense value without being destroyed). It also gains +1 attack and +1 defense for each other Quaxos' Creature in a Ready Area.
* Burst When Quake Dragon is summoned, you may destroy any one Quaxos' Creature to gain +1 Glory.
** Burst When Quake Dragon is summoned, you may destroy any one Creature to gain +1 Glory.

Corrupted Quake Dragon (This guy!)
Cost 9
Glory 4
Description N/A
* Burst Each opponent who has one or more Creatures destroyed by your attack gains 1 Corrupted Quiddity die from the Wilds at the end of your Attack Phase.
** Burst Same as * Burst.

Now we all know that the Strong version is vicious as all get out, but I still think he's a bit on the strong side (although definitely not as much as he was in just the base game :shudder: ). The Corrupted version though you're free to attack.....and it probably the single best Corrupted Quiddity generator in the game right now.

Now a lot of people picked up RotD played it a few times decided that they didn't see enough Corrupted Quiddity come out (without actually reading the various different set up methods to increase this, usually) and haven't took any of that expansion out since. And that is a mistake, IMO.

The Corrupted Quiddity is so much more game changing since the Expert Culling rule was implemented in our games. Because once you get them they aren't easy to get rid of (and in some game they are impossible to get rid of......and they will just keep multiplying!!!). Every game he comes out for us is interesting. Can't ask for more than that from one creature.

Lets see.....I'll mention 1 more..........ok, I'll go with the Heavenly Seraph

Quote:
Heavenly Seraph
Cost 7
Glory 3
Description When you destroy a Creature, immediately score Heavenly Seraph (place in your Used Pile) if you have any unattached Spells in your Ready Area.
* Burst Heavenly Seraph has no additional ability.

Strong Heavenly Seraph (This pretty Lady right here!)
Cost 7
Glory 3
Description As long as Heavenly Seraph is in your Ready Area, the other players cannot cull when they score a level 2 or 3 Creature, and when one of your Creatures is destroyed (including Heavenly Seraph), you gain +1 Glory.
* Burst Heavenly Seraph has no additional ability.

Mighty Heavenly Seraph
Cost 8
Glory 3
Description If Heavenly Seraph is in your Ready Area when you capture a Creature Die, you may capture one additional Quarry die of lower cost for free.
* Burst When Heavenly Seraph is summoned, you gain +1 Glory for each creature of level 3 or greater that is in any opponent's Ready Area.

Now I like all of the Heavenly Seraph's but for me the Strong one is the one I prefer. I typically play in 3-4 player games so scoring is a bit harder so being able to almost guarantee 1 glory for each creature that gets summoned this turn (and potentially keeping the creature in your dice pool) as well as potentially blocking your opponents from being able to score (with the Epic Culling Rule) their more powerful creatures (Lv2 and 3) is awfully good value and makes for some different decision making......'well I suppose I'll block with my Lv3 creature....he wasn't going to score anyway'. And she is also one of the most powerful attackers in the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.