Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Laughably small Enterprise rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bippy the Goat
msg tools
mbmb
Disclaimer: I like Star Trek Attack Wing quite a lot, and have absolutely no problem with any of the other models I've gotten, so please take the following with that in mind.

I've been following the complaints about the small original Enterprise relative to the other models. I decided to ignore the complaints and buy it anyway because I wanted to have Kirk & Co. to play with.

I got it in the mail today and I'm really laughing my ass off. The original Enterprise is not only smaller than the other models in the game -- it is absurdly TINY. Its about one-fourth the size of the Enterprise from the Next Generation.

The paint job is also HORRIBLE on the tiny Enterprise, but I still prefer horrible paintjob to non-painted.

There is an up side: my wife thinks the tiny enterprise is cute and now she might actually play the game with me.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Gash
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
The funny thing is that compared to the Galaxy class the scale is roughly right. It's just because it's the only ship that is that it looks odd. For me not a dealbreaker but it is a bit daft.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Worse, this is the picture they use when advertising it (which is shown the same size as other ship pictures). Looks nothing like the one I have:


2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Gash
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Purple Paladin wrote:
Worse, this is the picture they use when advertising it (which is shown the same size as other ship pictures). Looks nothing like the one I have:




Yeah the renders are terribly false advertising and that's one of the worst examples. If only it really did look that good!

EDIT: Actually on closer inspection the details are a bit exaggerated and cartoony but I think I'd still prefer it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Mårtensson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are all the first release ships in true scale to each other (1 pixel = 1 m) with the information I could gather.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why I've taken steps to avoid using the "Mini-prise."

I already have an Enterprise-A Tactics model I'm going to convert, & I've also purchased a Micro Machines classic Enterprise for conversion as well, so I can run whichever one I feel like.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Woods
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Star Fleet battles plastic models (the ones that have been around forever) are also a good replacement they are slightly slimmer than the Micro machines but essentially the same size. And as a bonus the peg hole in the hull is almost a perfect match. They also have models for Dreadnaughts, Destroyers and scouts.

http://www.starfighter-decals.com/sfd07-class-1-starship-col...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
superman829 wrote:
This is why I've taken steps to avoid using the "Mini-prise."

I already have an Enterprise-A Tactics model I'm going to convert, & I've also purchased a Micro Machines classic Enterprise for conversion as well, so I can run whichever one I feel like.


Don't throw away the original Enterprise miniature, though. You will need it for "official" organized play purposes.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bippy the Goat
msg tools
mbmb
Postscript:

I taught a friend tonight & he picked the tiny Enterprise. As a ship it played well, and the crew is very good. The game definitely delivers.

Unfortunately, while pulling it off of the base I grabbed one of the tiny engines and it broke off. Its nothing that a drop of glue can't fix, but I'm going to look into one of the alternates above. Either that or find out if anyone sells a tiny band-aid.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
--- ---
msg tools
Sindre wrote:
These are all the first release ships in true scale to each other (1 pixel = 1 m) with the information I could gather.



That said, at first glance, the size of the Bird of Prey and the Enterprise seems to fit the lore...

After all Kirk and Sulu needed a few torpedoes shots to destroy the uncloaked, unshielded Chang's Bird of Prey...


Now, to compare all these ships to a Borg Cube... surprise
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cwikla

Burbank
California
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I don't get the laughing part of all this. In X-Wing, the fact that all the ships are to an exacting scale is constantly raved about. Obviously all the ships in this game are not to scale (nor would I want them to be in all cases either as even the source material wildly varied the scale of the same ship depending on the visual need) but I definitely appreciate seeing the scale between the two Enterprises. The original Enterprise is a small ship. The fact that it is small and can take on some larger ships is impressive and not a laughing matter to me. Then again, I like the source material for this game and maybe that's the difference.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
william nothdruft

Michigan
msg tools
the constitution class seems close to scale against the galaxy, but, the reliant is grossly out of scale. this graphic demonstrates how unwarranted all the claims that the TOS enterprise is out of scale when, actually, it's the Re-Giant that is.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Martin
Canada
Ottawa
Ont.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3Minotaur3 wrote:
Sindre wrote:
These are all the first release ships in true scale to each other (1 pixel = 1 m) with the information I could gather.



That said, at first glance, the size of the Bird of Prey and the Enterprise seems to fit the lore...

After all Kirk and Sulu needed a few torpedoes shots to destroy the uncloaked, unshielded Chang's Bird of Prey...


Now, to compare all these ships to a Borg Cube... surprise


I thought that's what they were sitting on.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The original Enterprise should be tiny compared to many of the Next Generation era ships. As has been said, the bigger problem is the giant Reliant. Also, if they use the Heroclix Defiant, it will also be weirdly giant.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Bazzano
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheWaspinator wrote:
The original Enterprise should be tiny compared to many of the Next Generation era ships. As has been said, the bigger problem is the giant Reliant. Also, if they use the Heroclix Defiant, it will also be weirdly giant.


And the Klingon Battlecruiser.

Again, about the "real" scale, I've seen other shots that show the Constitution Class as bigger than these posted. Where it is, Nacelle to Saucer, roughly the size of the entire Enterprise D secondary/battle hull. Making it about 50% larger than the scale shown above. Which is just another part of the problem in doing any of these ships to "true" scale. They should have just Fleet Captained the scale, as in ignoring it completely, and just made the ships in nice visual sizes. They were already going to upset the scale Nazis whose tech manual showed a different scale anyway. So, why not just focus on making everyone else happy?

Speaking of the Defiant, is my tough little ship going to dwarf the NCC1701, or will I need tweezers and a magnifying glass to play it?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a Fleet Captains size comparison. Most of the ships in it are not in Attack Wing yet, but that's the same Galaxy Class as Attack Wing so you can use it as a comparison.

boardgamegeek.com/image/1056232/star-trek-fleet-captains
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Conklin came up with a great way to mount these things. If you can find a hero-clix model or a Micromachine, which is what I got, it might be a cheaper option. Here's the one I got, next to the Reliant.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hawke
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, the micromachine looks nice. Can we see a pic including the Galaxy class?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In comparison to the Galaxy it's out of scale, but that's no big deal as long as it doesn't look ridiculous. That is the normal Galaxy mold in the pic, I just repainted it with mixed results.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hawke
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks - yeah it fits the big/equal sizes version scale most of the other ships have. Be curious if someone has a similar picture with the Tactics Enterprise-A for comparison as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
iguano wrote:
I don't get the laughing part of all this. In X-Wing, the fact that all the ships are to an exacting scale is constantly raved about. Obviously all the ships in this game are not to scale (nor would I want them to be in all cases either as even the source material wildly varied the scale of the same ship depending on the visual need) but I definitely appreciate seeing the scale between the two Enterprises. The original Enterprise is a small ship. The fact that it is small and can take on some larger ships is impressive and not a laughing matter to me. Then again, I like the source material for this game and maybe that's the difference.


I don't think anyone would argue with this, but the issue for many has been "why make the Ent-A and ONLY the Ent-A so tiny?" Sure, it looks nice next to the Galaxy-class as is, but then you put it next the Miranda-Class Reliant (it's famous nemesis and ship that should be about the same saucer-size) and it looks goofy as hell. Putting it next to anything but the D, Neg'Vhar, D'Derix, or Valdore looks really goofy, since it's not that terribly different in size from everything else.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
drstrnge wrote:
The Star Fleet battles plastic models (the ones that have been around forever) are also a good replacement they are slightly slimmer than the Micro machines but essentially the same size. And as a bonus the peg hole in the hull is almost a perfect match. They also have models for Dreadnaughts, Destroyers and scouts.

http://www.starfighter-decals.com/sfd07-class-1-starship-col...


Oooh, thanks for that!

These are a hair large ... the Reliant is roughly 1/4500 scale and the Hero Clix Tactics Enterprise A is almost exactly 1/5000 scale... but at this price I'll have to pick them up anyways 'because it's a lot easier than kitbashing all the Mirco Machines I've been eBay'ing!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It really confuses me that they didn't use the bigger mold they used for the A in Heroclix....
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hensel
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I would prefer the tiny TOS Enterprise if they had also made the Reliant equally tiny.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Woods
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a Photo of the Star Fleet Battles Constitution class, Dreadnaught Class and Nelson Class along with the Attack Wing Reliant, Klingon D7 and Micro Machines D7

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.