Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is there more info available on "King of New York" other than the revelation that it exists and will come in 2014?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jupklass Jupklass2
Spain
Pamplona
Navarra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
king of new york? this is new for me...
i know that it was going to be king of something
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jupklass wrote:
king of new york? this is new for me...
i know that it was going to be king of something

Go to the Halloween expansion for King of Tokyo and read the info there. It comes with stuff for the upcoming "King of New York" game to be released in 2014.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Lensch
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
If we are talking about Weiner, then I'm out of this thread... ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
Switzerland
Leysin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure Christopher Walken will be a character!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Lapointe
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Giant Stay Puft Marshmallow man?
Cloverfield Monster?
Statue of Liberty Golem?
Galactus hommage... the planet eating giant alien?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A Statue of Liberty monster would be absolutely perfect. Maybe also a giant mutant-rat-monster, cockroach-monster, and colossal albino sewer alligator? I'm trying to think of other "New York" style monsters that wouldn't infringe on copyrights....maybe some sort of evil pizza blob/golem?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect The King would have to at least make a cameo appearance.

Maybe the game is more about people trying to get him off the Empire State Building, rather than everyone controlling monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Lapointe
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jcb231 wrote:
A Statue of Liberty monster would be absolutely perfect. Maybe also a giant mutant-rat-monster, cockroach-monster, and colossal albino sewer alligator? I'm trying to think of other "New York" style monsters that wouldn't infringe on copyrights....maybe some sort of evil pizza blob/golem?

I didn't see any complaints from Godzilla or King Kong owners... Let's call em the Marshmallow Sailor, Cosmicus and Slusho, the unofficial name for the Cloverfield monster
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jerome75 wrote:
jcb231 wrote:

I didn't see any complaints from Godzilla or King Kong owners... Let's call em the Marshmallow Sailor, Cosmicus and Slusho, the unofficial name for the Cloverfield monster

Godzilla and King Kong are both old enough characters and vague enough in their natures to be easily genericized...there have been enough giant lizard/beast sorts of things over the years (before and after Godzilla, actually) for it not to be quite so blatant a rip-off anymore, and with King Kong Universal doesn't really challenge homage/imitations so much these days. A giant Marshmallow Sailor is a bit more on the nose I think, as there is clearly only one thing you're going after with that and nobody can argue otherwise with a straight face. I doubt that would happen in this game since Ghostbusters is still a license that the movie studio would likely pursue any perceived infringement upon, and even an unsuccessful lawsuit would cost a lot of money and/or time to deal with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Lapointe
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a lawyer, and I suspect, neither are you... so I'm not gonna have a debate of my opinion vs yours cause that is fairly pointless. Everyone here reading this can make up their own mind on the topic and claim just as much expertise as the both of us.

My point is you can always be generic enough to make the cut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jerome75 wrote:
I'm not a lawyer, and I suspect, neither are you... so I'm not gonna have a debate of my opinion vs yours cause that is fairly pointless. Everyone here reading this can make up their own mind on the topic and claim just as much expertise as the both of us.

My point is you can always be generic enough to make the cut.

Based on some very good information from a lawyer about copyright/trademark infringement over on the Zombicide forums after the changes to Eva and Marvin I suspect that JB is correct and a marhsmallow man is not generic enough to be included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jerome75 wrote:
I'm not a lawyer, and I suspect, neither are you...

Technically, no. Never took the exams. But I'm not far off being able to do that, if I were to go back to school and brush up in some areas. More to the point of that post, I have dealt extensively with these types of issues during my time working in marketing, publishing, and distribution and have been on both sides of lawsuits over intellectual property and trademarks, so I know the grounds on which those cases can go to court. And I know that the general rule is if you have the money for a legal team and a case that even halfway makes sense, you can make things hell for the little guy to the point where most folks just quit.

So yeah. I highly doubt we will see "Marshmallow Sailor Man" as a monster in this game. Why poke the sleeping tiger that is Columbia/Universal/whatever?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jcb231 wrote:
Jerome75 wrote:
I'm not a lawyer, and I suspect, neither are you...

Technically, no. Never took the exams. But I'm not far off being able to do that, if I were to go back to school and brush up in some areas. More to the point of that post, I have dealt extensively with these types of issues during my time working in marketing, publishing, and distribution and have been on both sides of lawsuits over intellectual property and trademarks, so I know the grounds on which those cases can go to court. And I know that the general rule is if you have the money for a legal team and a case that even halfway makes sense, you can make things hell for the little guy to the point where most folks just quit.

So yeah. I highly doubt we will see "Marshmallow Sailor Man" as a monster in this game. Why poke the sleeping tiger that is Columbia/Universal/whatever?

Ghostbusters is still an active franchise too, at least as far as computer games are concerned although a third film has been rumoured for an age and doesn't seem to be materialising (at least not last time I paid any attention)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xithi Chasm
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hope this is not just the same game but with a new skin.
That would be like an American remake of a Japanese film
cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Laxou
flag msg tools
publisher
I no longer work for IELLO.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xithi wrote:
cry
Don't worry, we're no fan of Emmerich's Godzilla either…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xithi Chasm
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matthieu, can you give us any info on the game yet? (other than the setting)
How will gameplay differ from KoT?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattintheweb wrote:
Xithi wrote:
cry
Don't worry, we're no fan of Emmerich's Godzilla either…

thumbsup

Xithi wrote:
Matthieu, can you give us any info on the game yet? (other than the setting)
How will gameplay differ from KoT?

Ditto! Appreciate you can't give away too much (indeed, the game may not even be finalised yet), but sure we'd all love a bit more info, particularly in how it's going to differ to KoT. Convince us it's not just some different cards and monsters (I know I'm going to end up picking it up even if it is though!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sylas vlad venare
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
i don't have King of Tokyo yet but i plan on getting it very soon. one thing i noticed for KoT is the monster characters themselves don't have any unique starting powers. their powers are all gained through cards (if i'm wrong, tell me to stop), right?

will King of New York be more or less the same or will the monsters all be unique this time round? if so i may as well wait for the new one.
somebody let me know asap, please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Fleming
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sylas1 wrote:
i don't have King of Tokyo yet but i plan on getting it very soon. one thing i noticed for KoT is the monster characters themselves don't have any unique starting powers. their powers are all gained through cards (if i'm wrong, tell me to stop), right?

will King of New York be more or less the same or will the monsters all be unique this time round? if so i may as well wait for the new one.

This was kind of fixed in the King of Tokyo: Power Up! expansion gives each monster their own unique set of Evolution cards. They still don't have unique starting powers, but you can draw from your unique Evolution cards whenever you resolve the dice with 3 hearts.

I would be curious though as to what is going to be included in the base King of New York game. Will all of those monsters come with evolutions or will you need to get a New York version of the Power Up expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like some starting skills, as long as they're balanced. Introduced some friends to the game recently and the first thing they asked was about the difference between the monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sylas vlad venare
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
moosemcd wrote:
sylas1 wrote:

This was kind of fixed in the King of Tokyo: Power Up! expansion gives each monster their own unique set of Evolution cards. They still don't have unique starting powers, but you can draw from your unique Evolution cards whenever you resolve the dice with 3 hearts.

I would be curious though as to what is going to be included in the base King of New York game. Will all of those monsters come with evolutions or will you need to get a New York version of the Power Up expansion.

cheers. that's exactly what i was after actually. too bad they arent included in the base game as i can only afford that atm. i know it sounds bad but i might just print out high quality Evolution Cards instead.

a variant i can see playing out could be, each player begins with a random EC which is your monster's unique ability. each time you roll 3 Hearts you can exchange your ability for a different random one. the previous ability is PERMANENTLY discarded. this will keep you at 1 ability at most so things won't get overpowered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several "official rules" ways to start with the Evolution Cards. My family always starts with one card each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonahmaul wrote:
I would like some starting skills, as long as they're balanced. Introduced some friends to the game recently and the first thing they asked was about the difference between the monsters.

Did you not get Power Up!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
jonahmaul wrote:

Did you not get Power Up!?

Yeah, I got it. But they wanted a basic/starting difference. I didn't think about the rules about starting with an evolution card

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.